Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bruno’s actions cost us 2 points today

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I saw the Gross penalty shout on tv and thought it was a penalty. I was surprised when the commentators said there was nothing to it and that Oliver had got the decision right. All in all, they should probably have had two penalties and us one.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Rooney gave Bruno a pretty sharp nudge in the back just before the ball floated over.

It looks like Bruno retaliated to that, but to the wrong player.

This. And, being totally one-eyed about it, therefore it should have been an Albion free-kick - not a penalty - assuming the ball was already in play. But can't really blame the ref for not giving that, and it was a rash challenge by Bruno. Nothing more than a badly executed block... all this elbowing business people try to whip up these days is a load of nonsense. Some don't seem to understand that an 'elbow' in the traditional sense is when a player deliberately swings the point of his elbow into an opponent - not a forearm smash or accidental clash with an elbow when jumping.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'd not expect him to come out and say anything else really, regardless of what he thinks.

But his comments remind me of when Pascal Gross was felled in the box. I turned to [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and passed comment that if would be interesting to know if it had been given at the other end.

I've not seen a replay of that incident - I don't think MotD2 included it - so I don't know how good a shout it really was.

I saw the replay at the ground afterwards. Can see how some people would dismiss it because there wasn't a huge amount of contact. BUT a) you don't need much contact to be knocked out of position when both your feet are off the ground and b) a full-back of Baines' experience knew exactly what he was doing. He'd got himself in a bad position with Gross goal-side and that little nudge was just enough.

Jimmy Grimble

I saw the replay at the ground afterwards. Can see how some people would dismiss it because there wasn't a huge amount of contact. BUT a) you don't need much contact to be knocked out of position when both your feet are off the ground and b) a full-back of Baines' experience knew exactly what he was doing. He'd got himself in a bad position with Gross goal-side and that little nudge was just enough.

Yep. Baines did enough to make it look like soft contact to give the ref the easy option of not giving it. As opposed to Bruno doing the opposite.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Having seen the replays I thought Bruno's contact hardly merited a game changing penalty. Yes , it was a foul, but two players going up for it together, a bit of argy-bargy...no more than expected.

Or am I still thinking lower league?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Having seen the replays I thought Bruno's contact hardly merited a game changing penalty. Yes , it was a foul, but two players going up for it together, a bit of argy-bargy...no more than expected.

I think you might be thinking of ice hockey! Definite pen for me. Mind you, I think the Gross one was too.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You accept it was a foul but shouldn't have been a penalty! Not sure that makes sense. As for the contact, he raises his forearm into the face of the attacker and is looking at him and not the ball!

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
It does concern me somewhat that Bruno, apparently, feels the penalty award was "soft" and that he was "protecting myself and my space". Doesn't sound to me as though he feels he did anything wrong, which is a concern for future games.

Albion defender Bruno questions whether 'soft' penalty would have been given in the other box

What does concern me even more, is that if I was an opposing manager, I would be telling my team to put everything down the left and over Bruno's head. That does appear to be happening already.

The more it happens the more he will become a liability, and because other teams seem to be targeting him, he's falling deeper and is then not able to offer the support to Knocky going forward as much as he used to.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
and because other teams seem to be targeting him, he's falling deeper and is then not able to offer the support to Knocky going forward as much as he used to.

Remind me who floated in the cross for knocky to ultimately score....

I am not going to slate Bruno, he has saved us more times than he has cost us games.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
At the end of the match on the highlights video, Knocky was spreading the love with the officials and Bruno walks up and , still steaming from the decision, pushes Knockys hand away, who looks like he's trying to give Bruno the CBBC hand slap. Bruno then appears to give Knocky a bollocking for being over familiar with the Ref. :kiss:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Bruno was obviously a bit wound up and that is because he plays with passion (same as Dunk) and that is their liability BUT their passion completely outweighs this liability. Clearly there is a large element of luck as well (it should not happen but referees are not infallible) and if perfect decisions were to have been made there should have been a penalty for Brighton (foul on Gross), a penalty for Brighton for the Keane hand ball (based on the Murray precedent), a free kick for a push on Bruno prior to the their penalty.

Bruno rode his luck and in this game it did not pay off.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I didnt think so at the time but it was a good job he received a yellow card for that challenge or it would have been a guaranteed red and 3 game ban retrospectively having watched it in slow motion.

Same goes for the nasty challenge by Propper earlier. So in that respect Michael Oliver saved us from finishing with 9 men.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Bruno was obviously a bit wound up and that is because he plays with passion (same as Dunk) and that is their liability BUT their passion completely outweighs this liability. Clearly there is a large element of luck as well (it should not happen but referees are not infallible) and if perfect decisions were to have been made there should have been a penalty for Brighton (foul on Gross), a penalty for Brighton for the Keane hand ball (based on the Murray precedent), a free kick for a push on Bruno prior to the their penalty.

and a penalty to Everton when their player got tugged back in the box as he was about to shoot!

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Remind me who floated in the cross for knocky to ultimately score....

I am not going to slate Bruno, he has saved us more times than he has cost us games.

Irrespective of what he did at one end of the pitch (the positive action not the brain dead one) he is getting targeted, you can see it as clear as day, I'm not slating him just merely pointing out that him being targeted is causing us problems in his support for Knocky too and the more he is targeted the more he might be found out.

Everton's game plan was to put the ball in the air near to him as many times as possible. For them job done.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Mostly agree bit of a stretch to say Keane's 'handball' was anything like Murray's.......would have been a very tough decision. Bruno fouls in the box a lot but usually gets away with it, this time it was just too blatant (also think he was retaliating to the push on him just before, but against the wrong player). Daft from him because he didn't need to do it and his reaction at the end will have been mostly annoyance with himself I reckon.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Defo pen and a tough result as being so close I can accept it , but it is a case of all the squad learning to cut out these mistakes as long as bruno and hemed accept this then we will get better take on chin and move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Defo pen and a tough result as being so close I can accept it , but it is a case of all the squad learning to cut out these mistakes as long as bruno and hemed accept this then we will get better take on chin and move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes i am sure that Hemed is practicing not to accidentally step on someone even as we speak

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Everton's game plan was to put the ball in the air near to him as many times as possible. For them job done.
Yes, they did it in the first action of the game from the kick off and Bruno gave away a freekick then too. Unhappy bookends to the match.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Yes, they did it in the first action of the game from the kick off and Bruno gave away a freekick then too. Unhappy bookends to the match.

Agreed. As the manager, that would be a tad of a worry for me. Maybe that is why they bought Schelotto.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here