The season so far:

Man City we got what I expected
Leicester I expected us to be able to get a draw so 1 pt
Watford a draw as the minimum but was hoping for a win. possibly 3 points
West Brom I expected a win 3 points
AFCB again I expected a win 3 points
Newcastle a win 3 points
Arsenal a defeat with the hope of a possible draw. 1 point

So my expectation was 11 points and my hopes were for 14 points and we have 7 points so we are 4 points below my expectation at this stage of the season.

My hopes totalled 21 points....realism a lot less :moo:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The season so far:

Newcastle a win 3 points

So my expectation was 11 points and my hopes were for 14 points and we have 7 points so we are 4 points below my expectation at this stage of the season.

I'm calling NASA later to ask how much it will cost to fly me to the planet on which you live!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Oh my god :D We'd all have loved a six match unbeaten run after the opening game, but to have EXPECTED one is hilarious, it really is. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

On this basis your 'expectation' for the season - 2 points per game ? - is that we get 76 points. That was 4th place last season.

We're on our way, we're on our wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
To the Champions League, we're on our wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy.............................

:smokin::smokin::smokin:

Well to be fair, he only expected 11 points, which works out to about 61 points over the season, which would have been good enough for 7th last year. So just the Europe League EXPECTED, with the Champions League HOPED for. I think we can all get on board with that

:smokin::smokin::smokin:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That doesnt follow as we have played 5 teams I would have expected to get something from and only 2 that would have been expected to beat us. We still have 4 of the expected top 6 to play so to calculate our final position based on the games so far is ludicrous.

Yes. Thats whats ludicrous :lolol:

Indeed to extraplated based on playing 2 of the top 6 in the first 7 games is daft, as in fact we should play 2.2 of the top 6 in every block of 7 games. So we should correct our hopes of 14 points per 7 games downwards by 0.6 points (approximately), giving a final tally of 72 points.

So, yeah, far more realistic

:smokin:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Agreed. Weren't Blackpool a revelation.

We didn't get up ugly, we played some great football over the last two seasons. I don't think it's realistic to play exactly the same way against Arsenal as against Rotherham.

By ugly I mean Hughton had you focussed and solid at the back first and foremost (as he did with us). In the Championship having that kind of strong base means that your more technically gifted players have more freedom to express themselves. e.g. Benitez' approach meant we had the joint best defence in the league, and the joint best attack.

I can't think of a game where we played with abandon. Even when we smashed teams around like Birmingham, QPR and Preston, it was done with the foundation of a solid defensive shape.

Geordies are accused of demanding beautiful football, and it's just not true. Sure we enjoyed it under Keegan and Robson and bemoaned it's departure under Dalglish and Souness. But that's because the latter managers weren't just playing negative football, it was ineffective negative football. Benitez and Hughton played a pragmatic brand of football that delivered, so we're happy enough.

If we stay up for a couple of seasons we'd like to see our style morph into something more pleasing on the eye, but that's because our ambitions will have changed. While survival is more likely to come to the pragmatists, midtable and beyond is most likely provided by teams who can accommodate the more technically capable players.

There's an old Ferguson quote that should be inverted; "attack wins you games, defence wins you titles". I don't think that's true. More often than not, the team with the best attack wins the league and of those in trouble it's often the team with the best defence that stays up. That's why Pulis and Allardyce have been so successful at keeping teams up, but so limited in taking them further.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
By ugly I mean Hughton had you focussed and solid at the back first and foremost (as he did with us). In the Championship having that kind of strong base means that your more technically gifted players have more freedom to express themselves. e.g. Benitez' approach meant we had the joint best defence in the league, and the joint best attack.
Well I have to disagree with your definition of ugly. Ugly would be something like Stoke of old, where you defend and then hoof it up to the big guy, or you get someone who can throw the ball 25 yards into the box and hope for a scrappy goal.

Trying to defend well and then attack with either pace or flair is not playing ugly. Knockaert taking on defenders, beating them and squaring the ball or scoring is not playing ugly.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Last edited:

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
The season so far:

Newcastle a win 3 points

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

I expected wins against West Brom and Newcastle, a draw against Watford and losses against the rest. Some would call me an #aftertimer

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We need to be safe by the 33 game mark. Nothing can be left to chance in the last 5 horrible games. Burnley will do a 1-0 job on us. Tottenham will beat us at the Amex and you can bet yer bottom dollar Palace will be rejuvenated and desperate to beat us. You can write off the last two ( Man U / Liverpool ) We may get 1 point from these games.
Therefore we need to average 1.27 points per game over the next 26 games. Thus far, we needed 8-9 points to be on target, so not too far away. More points at Watford and Bmuff could have had us slightly ahead of schedule.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here