Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great White off Hayling Island.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I said 3 weeks ago...'soon it'll be time for the GW in Channel annual story'

Why am I not being credited?! ;)

Anyone scared of a GW in the channel is being a bit bonkers frankly. Even more so if afraid of getting killed by one. The chances are so so minuscule it's not worth bothering to think about. I don't even think about them when I jump in the seas they are known to frequent!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I said 3 weeks ago...'soon it'll be time for the GW in Channel annual story'

Why am I not being credited?! ;)

Anyone scared of a GW in the channel is being a bit bonkers frankly. Even more so if afraid of getting killed by one. The chances are so so minuscule it's not worth bothering to think about. I don't even think about them when I jump in the seas they are known to frequent!
But they do sometimes kill people in seas that they frequent. I cant imagine that its a nice way to go either.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
As someone who regularly swims a fair distance out to sea, these things do play on the mind, especially when you look back at the beach, the people are just dots and there's nothing but deep water all around you...and then you start a manic crawl stroke back to shore before a great white has your legs/torso away.
I get exactly the same thing. It's that quiet eerie calm when you're out there on your own that gets me. However my swimstroke of choice back to the beach is a gentle breast stroke. All that splashing about that you create doing the crawl is just asking for trouble and more likely to attract unwanted attention. The fact that I may be swimming off the coast of Hove does nothing to allay my sense of dread and panic.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Can he play centre forward and left back? Sign up the big Black Shark!

PS: left back in the Millwall changing rooms as Fred Binney was in the late seventies after we lost to them.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Great White's are massive hype jobs. Even I managed to get one in a headlock and dragged it onto the beach.

What a pussycat this so called man eater really is. I seriously reckon a Honey Badger would take a Great white down in 2 rounds, even if the bout is played out in the sharks terrain.

Easy work for the Honey badger I'm afraid.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
Basking shark ..worst you'll get is a nasty suck BS4_small.jpg http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-stuns-holidaymakers-Porthcurno-Cornwall.html

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Sharks get a bad press, but they just live in their own environment doing what they are built to do. If a G white ,or any large sea creature ,was off the coast here I'd be lining up to go out in a boat and respectfuĺly observe it.
Protect them . Man kills millions of sharks for their fins .... No , I would not swim untill it had gone.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Jaws isn't about a shark

It's a metaphor of communism attacking the American way of life, only to find American democracy corrupt and dysfunctional, however it ultimately overcomes the communist threat through sacrifice and true American heroes.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
It's a metaphor of communism attacking the American way of life, only to find American democracy corrupt and dysfunctional, however it ultimately overcomes the communist threat through sacrifice and true American heroes.

Apparently 'Spielberg famously said that the movie is simply "a film about a shark” and has said that his main reason for making it was his own fear of swimming.'

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-06-21/is-jaws-just-a-film-about-a-shark-or-something-else

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Growing up in Australia, sharks are never far from your consciousness...

Some years ago, the day before the Missus and I got engaged, we were swimming at Cottesloe off Perth. There was a huge buoy about 200 metres offshore and the Missus says: come on...let's swim out to it.

She was an excellent swimmer and I was barely adequate, but when you're about to propose to someone you don't wimp out of a challenge like that.

Anyway, as I swam (some distance behind her) I suddenly noted how eerily still the water was...and how murky it was in the late afternoon just before dusk. Just before I reached the buoy, where she was waiting for me, I suddenly thought: what the FARK am I doing out here?

I'm going back! I called and started swimming faster and faster. She, of course, zoomed past me and the closer I got to the shore the more I was seeing those huge pointed teeth closing on my toes.

Anyway, I made it back to shore, exhausted and totally freaked, but life continued happily.

However.

About five weeks later, a bloke was killed by a shark in exactly that spot.

For all I know that same shark checked me out but wasn't feeling peckish.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Speaking of basking sharks when i was a kid i use to fish off shoreham arm and worthing pier and we use to dig for our own bait on worthing beach. Now i am not sure if this actually happened or i actually dreamt it (although im swaying to the fact it did happen)

Around the summer of 89 (give or take a year either side) i remember going to dig for bait on worthing beach and seeing about 10 washed up basking sharks. I also remember that they all had a big chunk cut out of them as if they were just getting the meat (the head and spine was left). They were all cut in the same way and just left on the beach. Anyone else remember this?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And communists....

:lolol:
i recently discovered there is an entire sub-culture of people speculating on theories behind films and their meanings, pouring over details, plot holes/gaps as having great significance. invariably the original author/playwright/director just dismisses them out of hand.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
To put the risk in context, the odds of being killed by a shark are 239,998,500 greater than the odds on Brighton winning the Premier League this season. :)

Is that the odds for worldwide shark MURDERS? Could we please have the odds for UK-coastal-shark-deaths? I think I might chuck a tenner on. Quick way to win a few trillion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here