Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Using Phone while driving

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm amazed more cabbies don't get pulled over, don't seem to get in a mini-cab these days that doesn't have at least two different screens in front of the driver. They're constantly tapping away confirming a pick-up, registering for the next job, finishing a job (despite being miles from your destination) (or whatever it is that they're doing).

Oh, is that what they’re doing. I presumed they were surfing the net to enable them to have an opinion on absolutely everything.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry BG, I think the rozzers are in the right on this, if he has picked up the phone to look at it he's been distracted and that is what the law is trying to enforce.

Both him and I accept that but as stated previously just giving the nod to others who may not have considered that to be the law.and although not actually using it could fall foul of the law.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
"Why did you hit the car in front, didnt you see his brake lights?"
"I couldnt see through the windscreen", officer,"I sneezed three times and wasnt aloud to take my hands off the steering wheel, so I couldnt use my hankerchief so the screen was a little bit smeary."
"I couldnt sound the horn cos it meant letting go of the steering wheel"

What a load of bollox

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Contrary to people getting on at BG (as usual), I mean really? granted texting, talking on the phone while driving is risky, but rejecting a call? Yes it could happen but really what is the likelyhood of someone crashing whilst pressing hang up (where the other person would likely realise they had been hung up on and not persist in trying which would be more distracting for me). What about if you need to adjust the thingame bob above the windscreen to stop a blinding sun, thats got to be more risky, but better than being driving in a glaring sun. Are you meant to pull over to do that? Officers discretion should come into play a little here

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Contrary to people getting on at BG (as usual), I mean really? granted texting, talking on the phone while driving is risky, but rejecting a call? Yes it could happen but really what is the likelyhood of someone crashing whilst pressing hang up (where the other person would likely realise they had been hung up on and not persist in trying which would be more distracting for me). What about if you need to adjust the thingame bob above the windscreen to stop a blinding sun, thats got to be more risky, but better than being driving in a glaring sun. Are you meant to pull over to do that? Officers discretion should come into play a little here

Fair point but if a copper sees someone with their phone in their hand, do they even need to know exactly what was happening at the time ? Much easier (and more strongly enforces the intended outcome - to stop people using the bloody things whilst driving) to essentially make ‘touching a mobile device’ the offence rather than having to try prove the driver was distracted by the actual activity as very difficult to draw the line.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That was my view, just use a little common sense. The officer agreed that he saw him reject the call rather than take it.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Not at all very simple answer, firms workers be told not to RING the company mobile send a text and the driver can pull over and ring them back after hearing the text tone.

So everyone at base just uses mobiles? Impressive my employer is still in the dark ages as although most have company issued mobiles we also have desktop phones to use.......not sure how to send a text using this.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
One of my other sons drives a lorry and spend 85% of the day behind the wheel his firm send him a text and ask him to ring when convenient. On hearing the text tone he pulls over when it is convenient to read the text and phone if needed. So simple.

Your other son should do the same when he gets a text.... or a call.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Fair point but if a copper sees someone with their phone in their hand, do they even need to know exactly what was happening at the time ? Much easier (and more strongly enforces the intended outcome - to stop people using the bloody things whilst driving) to essentially make ‘touching a mobile device’ the offence rather than having to try prove the driver was distracted by the actual activity as very difficult to draw the line.

I know there's a line to be drawn somewhere, you know perhaps having the phone near your head is a start. Just seems a bit over kill, it takes literally 1 fraction of a second to hang up a call without being distracted, just my opinion. I just cant really see hopefully (many) any cases where someone crashes literally hanging up a call. (and it's easy enough to show a copper that you hung up the call isnt t?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know there's a line to be drawn somewhere, you know perhaps having the phone near your head is a start. Just seems a bit over kill, it takes literally 1 fraction of a second to hang up a call without being distracted, just my opinion. I just cant really see hopefully (many) any cases where someone crashes literally hanging up a call. (and it's easy enough to show a copper that you hung up the call isnt t?

Yup but I guess it’s easier for them not to have to. It’s not a fraction of a second though....phone rings, listen to a few rings, think about answering, decide not to, pick it up (possibly stretching, looking for it under the sunglasses, pile of sweet wrappers), unlock (possibly), then reject and put back down.

Surely it’s easier to just ignore it ?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Interesting reading here.

Firstly: as far as I'm aware, there is no new law coming in that will force mobile phones to be placed in the glove box. There's an advertising campaign encouraging that phones be placed in the glovebox, but it has no legal force behind it.

Secondly: as far as I'm aware, there is no new law (either already passed or still to come into force) that stipulates that you must have two hands on the steering wheel at all times. There is an existing (for a long time) law that says you must be in full control of the vehicle at all times, which could be interpreted as two hands on the steering, but that is up to the discretion of the officer concerned to determine if the driver could reasonably be considered to not be in control of the vehicle.

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/motoring-laws-2018-roundup and https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/mobile-phones-law-faqs look like good resources.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You often see drivers, with family on board, obviously irate and shouting/gesticulating wildly.

Must be far worse than a phone call surely?

Exactly and the amount of people that look at their passenger whilst talking to them and driving are numerous.

Whilst accepting the new laws, where do you draw the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Not come across this app. Do you know any product names to look up?

I can see there are a few - are the apps expensive anyone? Anyone use them?

I've used loads for work (sending live updates to multiple management, before the days of WhatsApp and SmartPhones to be honest) but cant remember the name its been a while. They cost next to nothing, or nothing, with x free texts to try then you top up and get as many as you could wish for a nominal cost. Several have Outlook email plug ins too so instead of installing an app or going through a browser you just type the number(s) into the ''to'' field as if it were an email and you get a delivery receipt. It was great for what we needed

Let me have a look

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here