Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tim Farron thinks gay sex is a sin after all

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly. Stupid thing to do. Apart from anything else, he wasn't exactly convincing.

I wonder how it would have gone if he had said he was against gay Sex, but would not do anything to legislate against it. I for one would at least have given him some grudging respect for his honesty.

Agreed. Also (without wishing to open another can of worms about biblical interpretation) being a Christian does not mean you have to oppose gay sex as Jesus himself never condemned homosexuality. It was Paul (a fanatical convert) and Leviticus (a complete madman who was also opposed to tattoos and eating shelfish) who spoke against it.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Are there any politicians who say what they really think when in power(apart from Trump)?

I don't think there are.I think they are all too PC and scared to say what they really think because
these days if you say the wrong thing you will be politically executed.

So, to clarify, are you against people being called a homophobe/ sexist/ racist etc if they say something homophobic/ sexist/ racist?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
:shrug: he has deeply held personal views, but towed the party line as far as I understand it. Being a liberal means defending people's beliefs even if you don't personally share them, he did that.

But he hid those beliefs in the search for votes.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
don't judge everybody else by Farron's standards........
....... Be sure your sins will find you out.

Not judging everyone else, but have witnessed enough hypocrisy to form my own opinion. Like all aspects of life there are good and bad, there are those that practice what they hear preached and those that don't. Less than 2% of the population regularly go to Church yet we're all well up for religious festivals as an opportunity to party rather than observe the meaning of it.

We fight wars predominately over religion creating poverty and human suffering, and don't get me started on the internal policies and practices of the church and it's systems.

But love it how certain phrases are designed to bring us back into line, my sins will, no doubt, find me out, as will the sins of many.

Peace to all men, yeah!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But love it how certain phrases are designed to bring us back into line, my sins will, no doubt, find me out, as will the sins of many.

Peace to all men, yeah!

I wouldn't worry .... I worked out the other day that out of the 10 commandments and 7 deadly sins, I've broken 16 of them !!! Am I bothered or scared ?? :lol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I wouldn't worry .... I worked out the other day that out of the 10 commandments and 7 deadly sins, I've broken 16 of them !!! Am I bothered or scared ?? :lol:

Crikey, and you're The Bishop of Bath & Wells!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agreed. Also (without wishing to open another can of worms about biblical interpretation) being a Christian does not mean you have to oppose gay sex as Jesus himself never condemned homosexuality. It was Paul (a fanatical convert) and Leviticus (a complete madman who was also opposed to tattoos and eating shelfish) who spoke against it.

Absolutely totally agree........

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not judging everyone else, but have witnessed enough hypocrisy to form my own opinion. Like all aspects of life there are good and bad, there are those that practice what they hear preached and those that don't. Less than 2% of the population regularly go to Church yet we're all well up for religious festivals as an opportunity to party rather than observe the meaning of it.

We fight wars predominately over religion creating poverty and human suffering, and don't get me started on the internal policies and practices of the church and it's systems.

Peace to all men, yeah!

The "your sins will find you out" comment was aimed at Tim Farron, not you!

It was meant in the sense that his lying about his true beliefs didn't do him any good in the end. Better to be honest and suffer the consequences, which may not have been as bad.

And yes, Peace to all Men...... and Women, and Transgender people, and ..... etc etc.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Are there any politicians who say what they really think when in power(apart from Trump)?

I don't think there are.I think they are all too PC and scared to say what they really think because
these days if you say the wrong thing you will be politically executed.

The difference between Trump and politicians is that Trump isn't a politician. He's just a very rich bloke who has somehow ended up in the most powerful chair in the world. He's never needed to learn how to answer questions or make statements without his bluster and, dare I say it, unique charisma.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The "your sins will find you out" comment was aimed at Tim Farron, not you!

It was meant in the sense that his lying about his true beliefs didn't do him any good in the end. Better to be honest and suffer the consequences, which may not have been as bad.

Cool, and see your point.

Alas though this hypocrisy runs through every element of society, too many people say they're Christian but don't act in a Christian way in their lives. I'm a live and let live guy, I respect those with beliefs but struggle with those that think that makes them better than me.

Have a great day mate and let's hope for three points on Saturday!

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
The difference between Trump and politicians is that Trump isn't a politician. He's just a very rich bloke who has somehow ended up in the most powerful chair in the world. He's never needed to learn how to answer questions or make statements without his bluster and, dare I say it, unique charisma.

A President isn't a politician?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Fundamentalist Christians are OBSESSED with two things;

Abortion
Gay Sex/Gay Marriage

Both are things that barely EVER turn up in The Bible.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
If you believe in fairy tales then you shouldn't be anywhere near a position of power.

Can only agree, if he and others want to project their fairy tales into the lives of real people he has every right to run for office, we have every right to show him and others the exit!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Can you ask me something related to my point?

You said:

‘I think they are all too PC and scared to say what they really think because
these days if you say the wrong thing you will be politically executed’

To me that implies that you think that not saying things that are deemed as racist, sexist etc is ‘all too PC’ and not just being racist or sexist et al. That’s how I read it anyway. All I’ve asked is for clarification. I’m not accusing you of anything.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Wish I'd known that when I had a long argument with my wife's aunt at New Year after I took exception to her calling gay people sinners. Filed for future reference :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here