Sidcup 10
Surrey Tempest 10
Brooklands Mercedes-Benz Half Marathon
Virgin Money London Marathon

I hope to see some of you there, and say hello :wink:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Can anyone give me some advice on getting started with running? Beyond the obvious "go and run".

Getting a touch portly in my late twenties and with a view to shedding some pounds want to take up running. Do I need to get special running trainers or is that a needless expense for an absolute beginner? Should I be pushing myself to the limit in order to find out how much my body can take or should I start out slow and steady?

Teach me O wise ground pounders of NSC!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can anyone give me some advice on getting started with running? Beyond the obvious "go and run".

Getting a touch portly in my late twenties and with a view to shedding some pounds want to take up running. Do I need to get special running trainers or is that a needless expense for an absolute beginner? Should I be pushing myself to the limit in order to find out how much my body can take or should I start out slow and steady?

Adding little and often enabled me to go from barely being able to complete 1-2miles a couple of years back to now jogging 7-9+ miles quite happily. Also lost 3 stone.

Would recommend some proper running shoes if you try jogging a few times and think it'll be for you. I personally find music essential as motivation for jogging, podcasts throw me off but others prefer them.

I use the Nike + jogging app, and it works well for me in terms of recording runs, setting targets etc. Not the app where you need the Nike+ shoes, a cheaper one.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset

I'm quite a newbie and certainly not built for running, but the most important thing IMO is getting running trainers. They don't have to be expensive, but they need to be running trainers as they are designed to minimise impact on your knees, especially if you're carrying a little extra timber. When I first started out my enthusiasm was soon extinguished with shin splints as I wasn't wearing the right footwear.

The STRAVA app on the iPhone/Android is also a great motivator.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

You'll certainly need running shoes! In fact the heavier your are; the more important it is that you get some with good cushioning and the appropriate support.

Start out slow, interspersing with walking if you get knackered very quickly, but there's no getting away from the hard truth: you won't get much fitter unless you push yourself through a bit of pain.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
The current copy of Runners World magazine has a decent article called "Start Running Today" which is worth a look.

It has training schedules and plenty of good advice on motivation and planning etc - best £4.50 you'll ever spend - some of the content is probably availble on the online version :thumbsup:

The current copy of Runners World magazine has a decent article called "Start Running Today" which is worth a look.

It has training schedules and plenty of good advice on motivation and planning etc - best £4.50 you'll ever spend - some of the content is probably availble on the online version :thumbsup:

Completely agree. I started running 18 years ago. Again in my 20s put on some weight. My first run was around the block. I felt exhausted. Now I run a marathon a month!

Take it slowly, easy & the run/walk programme is ideal.
The sport is very cheap, but don't skip on a running shoes. Have more than one pair if you are going to go running more than 3 times a week & go to a proper running shop. Will cost you £50 plus, but you'll get at least 500 miles out of them .................& only use them for running!!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Hi All,

didn't know about this thread but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in running the Brighton Marathon on behalf of the REMF as we still have a couple of spare entries that we would like to fill. If so, could pm with any relevant details and we can take it from there. I stopped being interested in running marathons when I reached 60.

Thanks,

Tony Langridge
REMF Chairman

In case anyone is interested....there are still a few places left to fill.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Gutted you didn't get chosen. :down:

Appreciate that, I was down about it but there is a lot worse which could happen. Really looking forward to running Brighton marathon and then Boston a few weeks later. Good luck with all your races, be interested to see what the Brooklands MBenz race is like.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

The comments by [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] [MENTION=643]nwgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=142]ezzoud[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6481]steve[/MENTION]foster are all very wise. Right shoes, parkrun and this months runnersworld will see you right. This thread is a great place for inspiration if you need it.

Best of luck and happy running.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'd recommend the NHS Couch to 5k podcast which is a structured programme over nine weeks that worked for me plus I use the Map My Run app which is free track distance etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The comments by [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] [MENTION=643]nwgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=142]ezzoud[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6481]steve[/MENTION]foster are all very wise. Right shoes, parkrun and this months runnersworld will see you right. This thread is a great place for inspiration if you need it.

Best of luck and happy running.

Ditto. Shoes probably the most important IMHO. You can get away with crap shorts and t-shirts but shoes no. I would advise going to Run on Blatchington Rd in Hove. They will spare you the time and look at your running style and requirements and identify the right pair. I really rate these guys.

Also, it can be very tempting to jack it in when the weather is pants, it's dark and you're unfit. So try and stick with it until the spring. When spring arrives you will be bit much fitter, be able to run for longer and the weather will (hopefully) improve... it will all start to make sense.

Amsterdam Albion

Mar 11, 2008
I am 46 and started running almost a year ago. One of the best things I ever did. Absolutely love it. Have done 3 10k races and slowly improving my times 55 minutes is my best. However when I run over 10k I seem to pick up an injury. First time I went to a physio and they sorted it out but it cost me 200 euro. Now got another injury tempted to just rest rather than spend another potential 200 euro. Any tips on injury treatment?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here