Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Morteza Pouraliganji

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm gonna have a BG free day and will let all the jibbish just pass me by.

I doubt I'll get to elevenses

Can we a have a free Stat Brother day also ? That's not asking to much is it ?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
To clarify, I did state it previously but yes, of course everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, it is my personal belief that in order to give any argument credibility, you have to justify it with evidence. If you disagree with that fair enough, not sure there is anything I can say to you. Posters are well within their rights to post any opinion, but they cannot be surprised if people call them out on it if it is not backed by anything substantial or is simply untrue. This applies to BG more than most taking into account his refusal to accept any possibility of him being wrong, and posting this drivel on the regular. That for me personally, is arrogance and deserves to be called out.

....but that is where you are not correct ( I have bolded the statements in your post) an opinion is a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Happy to take your word on that.

It doesn't matter if he's 6'4 or less or more, it's only how he performs that counts. His last ditch blocks are the result of a team as a whole that has allowed a shot at goal, not because of Dunk's positional play or getting caught out.

I know you think you're very knowledgeable about football, but just take a breather and think about the number of people here, and football experts in general, who disagree with you, and think to yourself - 'is it possible I've got this one wrong?'

You are asking too much of BG there... where is the comedy value for BG in actually making sense?...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As I alluded to, this is going beyond just being a little clueless but well meaning. You are irritating me with your arrogance, and you are not addressing any of the evidence I am presenting to you. There was every chance you hadn’t seen or known of those stats before, but now you are wilfully ignoring them. Dunk’s blocks are generally controlled, deliberate actions. I don’t think you will ever accept the possibility of you being wrong, but I gain some satisfaction that others see you for what you are. No sympathy for you I’m afraid, if you admitted where you wrong or showed humility I might’ve had a different view.

Brilliant post TT, but will BG accept the error of his ways? I doubt it...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't see arrogance from BG, just an opinion. Perhaps it is you who is demonstrating arrogance in thinking your opinion is more valuable because you think you have justified it. Do you expect apologies and humility from everyone who has a different opinion to yourself ?

This is a forum for opinions.

But TT backed-up his view, whereas BG just spouted unsubstantiated bollox, again!!

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
....but that is where you are not correct ( I have bolded the statements in your post) an opinion is a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Ok. Yes you can say things, you can have any opinion on any subject. I could say that, for example Everton were the best team in the Premier League last season. That’s an opinion someone might have. But does that make it a credible claim? I wouldn’t say so, because there is significant evidence that contradicts the claim. League position, possession stats, shots on target etc. I could even use anecdotal evidence to justify based on them sacking both their managers over the season, fans being unhappy and so on. Point being, it is absolutely fine to have an opinion, I encourage it, Football and discussion is not the same without varying opinions. However, you cannot just make random claims that contradict empirical evidence and say that’s just as good as analysis based off scrutinising statistics, giving examples from games, or even arguing from authority. That’s better than nothing. And if you give me nothing, I am likely not to take your opinion as seriously as I would if you had given me evidence.
No hard feelings, that’s just my view. ����

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Pleased to read that as it demonstrates exactly what I am saying I am not decrying LD as he is a valuable asset and member of our squad but I was stating my opinion of his faults or limitations IMHO. I do believe that we get carried away because he is one of our own and we want to have a super hero and perhaps see him as better than he perhaps is. This has been demonstrated by the many posts that Southgate didnt know what he was doing not including him in the squad. So rather than a knock at LD this is a knock at the perception of many on here.

Whatever CH, who knows more than me , decides is fine by me but it wont stop me saying if I think his judgement is wrong

So, you are saying that, although CH rates him, you don't!!?? I call that arrogant, and I call that wrong...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree - Sometimes BGs views are a wee bit ''doo-lally'' but he has some interesting and clever ones as well

Was that BG's James Collins suggestion? Please provide an example, since, as you say, he cannot be wrong all the time, or can he?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I used to be a huge critic of Lewis Dunk, imho he was an absolute liability, throwing himself into tackles when he would have been better staying on his feet, he showed a lot of immaturity in his game, I would have driven him to Fulham for the money they were offering.

How short-sighted I was... In the last 3 years Dunk has grown in maturity, in discipline, in his positional sense, in fact in every single area immeasurably, of the players BG listed I would be incredibly disappointed if we were to replace Dunk with Lascelles or Mawson, neither come close.

Maguire's value has grown immensely it seems on the back of his world cup displays, and fair play on that, he was very good, but let's not forget that people were arguing the case for Dunk to be included in that world cup squad, he isn't far behind.

So if Leicester are asking £60-80 million for him, then I don't think £35-50 million for Dunk is out of the question, and that value will only grow if he continues to play well in the premier league.

So to suggest that we would only get slightly north of what Reading are asking for Moore.... Well, quite frankly, whatever you're drinking... I'll have two of them!

This (maybe apart from not recognizing Dunk's potential soon enough)...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Yes, but if your opinion is just plain wrong, then expect to be called out... also, if your 'opponent' provided evidence to support their argument, then expect to be called out as a fool, a la BG...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree - Sometimes BGs views are a wee bit ''doo-lally'' but he has some interesting and clever ones as well

Exactly this - he does come up with stuff that is perfectly reasonable as well as some absolute rubbish. Furthermore, football has long been a sport that doesn't lend itself well to statistics. I find The Tactician far more arrogant for his belief that spouting a load of Opta-style nonsense somehow justifies slaughtering BG.

Although I do agree that BG has got Dunk completely wrong.

Was that BG's James Collins suggestion? Please provide an example, since, as you say, he cannot be wrong all the time, or can he?
Clearly that suggestion is absolutely laughable, but you're being unfair by suggesting he's always wrong.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
To clarify, I did state it previously but yes, of course everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, it is my personal belief that in order to give any argument credibility, you have to justify it with evidence. If you disagree with that fair enough, not sure there is anything I can say to you. Posters are well within their rights to post any opinion, but they cannot be surprised if people call them out on it if it is not backed by anything substantial or is simply untrue. This applies to BG more than most taking into account his refusal to accept any possibility of him being wrong, and posting this drivel on the regular. That for me personally, is arrogance and deserves to be called out.

As it happens I agree with your assessment of LD and completely disagree with BG. However its just an opinion and one he is entitled to disagree with. You are placing a lot of emphasis on your evidence as if it can be used to justify one opinion and disprove another. The thing is though evidence can be cherry picked to suit an argument and the same evidence can be interpreted in completely different ways eg meteorological data. I think LD is the best centre back to have played for the Albion, that he is the most important player in our team and should play for England. No amount of carefully selected evidence produced by someone else would dissuade me of the opinion I have formed simply by watching him play every week. I would imagine BG feels justified in feeling the opposite, having watched the same games. It's a funny old world but that's the way it is.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly this - he does come up with stuff that is perfectly reasonable as well as some absolute rubbish. Furthermore, football has long been a sport that doesn't lend itself well to statistics. I find The Tactician far more arrogant for his belief that spouting a load of Opta-style nonsense somehow justifies slaughtering BG.

Although I do agree that BG has got Dunk completely wrong.

Clearly that suggestion is absolutely laughable, but you're being unfair by suggesting he's always wrong.

OK, example? I'm genuinely struggling to think of one... my sole aim in life is to be fair to the much-maligned BG...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As it happens I agree with your assessment of LD and completely disagree with BG. However its just an opinion and one he is entitled to disagree with. You are placing a lot of emphasis on your evidence as if it can be used to justify one opinion and disprove another. The thing is though evidence can be cherry picked to suit an argument and the same evidence can be interpreted in completely different ways eg meteorological data. I think LD is the best centre back to have played for the Albion, that he is the most important player in our team and should play for England. No amount of carefully selected evidence produced by someone else would dissuade me of the opinion I have formed simply by watching him play every week. I would imagine BG feels justified in feeling the opposite, having watched the same games. It's a funny old world but that's the way it is.

Mark Lawrenson!?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He isn't wrong. Nor are you.

OK, 'wrong' is too strong... his opinion, which is an opinion with no basis, is of lower value to most reasonable human beings... is that OK?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Mark Lawrenson!?

By a long shot.
ML was one of the finest defenders in the world and it was a great shame he opted to play for Ireland because England would have been so much better with him in the side. Sadly there isn’t much footage of him both defending and foraging Bambi like across the half way line with the ball at his feet so that the current crop of fans could see him in the stripes, and understand why he was so much betee than Dunk.
Dunk is good, Lawrenson was exceptional.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
By a long shot.
ML was one of the finest defenders in the world and it was a great shame he opted to play for Ireland because England would have been so much better with him in the side. Sadly there isn’t much footage of him both defending and foraging Bambi like across the half way line with the ball at his feet so that the current crop of fans could see him in the stripes, and understand why he was so much betee than Dunk.
Dunk is good, Lawrenson was exceptional.

Not just me then :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here