Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Morteza Pouraliganji

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
There is right and wrong to the extent that you may use evidence to substantiate your claims. For example, you claim that Dunk is not good enough in the air despite being 6ft 4. Despite you saying this, Dunk had more headed clearances than Mawson, than £60 million rated Harry Maguire. This also, despite it being Shane Duffy who generally challenges for the first ball when we defend an aerial ball, with Dunk using his positioning to defend the second ball (Shane Duffy is by far and away the division leader in headed clearances). This is a statistical reality. And arguing against this is therefore simply wrong.
Furthermore, the assertion “Dunk is unlikely to be pursued by other clubs as the cost he would incur would be in excess of his true value.” = Fair comment, backed by evidence, reflective of a reality.
“Dunk’s value is £15-18 million, based on false claims that he is poor in the air, and quizzical suggestions that his impressive blocking statistics somehow indicate that he has poor positioning and his blocks are a result of him either accidentally getting in the way or having to compensate for his poor positional sense.” = Quite simply wrong.

Your assertion re Dunk’s positioning and block statistics is moronic in a variety of ways but I argue it can boil down to one simple fact. Defenders position themselves SO they can block shots. As well as intercepting of course. So how do you reconcile your quite honestly idiotic claim that Dunk’s positioning is poor in relation to other defenders when Dunk has the 5th highest number of interceptions in the league, and 3rd when you only compare between Defenders?

#NeverWrong

EDIT: To address the point of Gareth Southgate not including Dunk in the England Squad. It is my personal opinion that Dunk was good enough to go to Russia, but I understand Harry Maguire’s strengths at the back, as well as Cahill’s experience etc etc. We’ll never know if Dunk would have cut it if he’d gone, but irrelevant of this, him not being selected and England subsequently having a good tournament does not substantiate any of your claims about Lewis Dunk’s worth, not his ability as a defender. The game is indeed all about opinions, but they are not all equal. For the most yours are baffling, backed by no evidence whatsoever and deserve scrutiny and rebuttal. A misinformed fool is generally fine and inevitable, but one who is arrogant and constantly spouts rubbish is intolerable.

hmmm...
this is all fairly compeling, however...
you are up against BG and he was a cub... for sussex... or something.
a PUBLICAN... that's it, so he's heard a lot of drunken bollox, in his pub...
an next e used to scout for glen oddle... or someone! FS :ffsparr:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I must have watched a different world cup then as saw most CB win the ball by tackles or interceptions.

The world cup didn't start 'til 1930???
Sorry BG, I must totally disagree with you on this one. A centre back throwing himself into a last ditch tackle seemed to happen in every game I watched.....and I didn't miss many

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
What other CBs HAVE to throw themselves at the ball to block it. effective but necessary I generally like Dunk and feel that he has not let us down very often but people need to take their blue and white glasses off.

As I alluded to, this is going beyond just being a little clueless but well meaning. You are irritating me with your arrogance, and you are not addressing any of the evidence I am presenting to you. There was every chance you hadn’t seen or known of those stats before, but now you are wilfully ignoring them. Dunk’s blocks are generally controlled, deliberate actions. I don’t think you will ever accept the possibility of you being wrong, but I gain some satisfaction that others see you for what you are. No sympathy for you I’m afraid, if you admitted where you wrong or showed humility I might’ve had a different view.

albionite

May 20, 2009
As I alluded to, this is going beyond just being a little clueless but well meaning. You are irritating me with your arrogance, and you are not addressing any of the evidence I am presenting to you. There was every chance you hadn’t seen or known of those stats before, but now you are wilfully ignoring them. Dunk’s blocks are generally controlled, deliberate actions. I don’t think you will ever accept the possibility of you being wrong, but I gain some satisfaction that others see you for what you are. No sympathy for you I’m afraid, if you admitted where you wrong or showed humility I might’ve had a different view.

None of that matters to BG it’s all about his post count

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

BG pay attention to these wise words, as they are a fact.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If there's one thing BG's been #neverwrong on for such a staggeringly sustained period of time, it's in his analysis, valuation and perception of Lewis Dunk. It was only a couple of seasons back he was suggesting we should take £1 million for him from Fulham, as well as stating that'll he never be as good as Tommy Elphick :lolol:
Please find those quotes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm gonna have a BG free day and will let all the jibbish just pass me by.

I doubt I'll get to elevenses

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

I don't see arrogance from BG, just an opinion. Perhaps it is you who is demonstrating arrogance in thinking your opinion is more valuable because you think you have justified it. Do you expect apologies and humility from everyone who has a different opinion to yourself ?

This is a forum for opinions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't see arrogance from BG, just an opinion. Perhaps it is you who is demonstrating arrogance in thinking your opinion is more valuable because you think you have justified it. Do you expect apologies and humility from everyone who has a different opinion to yourself ?

Pleased to read that as it demonstrates exactly what I am saying I am not decrying LD as he is a valuable asset and member of our squad but I was stating my opinion of his faults or limitations IMHO. I do believe that we get carried away because he is one of our own and we want to have a super hero and perhaps see him as better than he perhaps is. This has been demonstrated by the many posts that Southgate didnt know what he was doing not including him in the squad. So rather than a knock at LD this is a knock at the perception of many on here.

Whatever CH, who knows more than me , decides is fine by me but it wont stop me saying if I think his judgement is wrong

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I agree - Sometimes BGs views are a wee bit ''doo-lally'' but he has some interesting and clever ones as well

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I used to be a huge critic of Lewis Dunk, imho he was an absolute liability, throwing himself into tackles when he would have been better staying on his feet, he showed a lot of immaturity in his game, I would have driven him to Fulham for the money they were offering.

How short-sighted I was... In the last 3 years Dunk has grown in maturity, in discipline, in his positional sense, in fact in every single area immeasurably, of the players BG listed I would be incredibly disappointed if we were to replace Dunk with Lascelles or Mawson, neither come close.

Maguire's value has grown immensely it seems on the back of his world cup displays, and fair play on that, he was very good, but let's not forget that people were arguing the case for Dunk to be included in that world cup squad, he isn't far behind.

So if Leicester are asking £60-80 million for him, then I don't think £35-50 million for Dunk is out of the question, and that value will only grow if he continues to play well in the premier league.

So to suggest that we would only get slightly north of what Reading are asking for Moore.... Well, quite frankly, whatever you're drinking... I'll have two of them!

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013

To clarify, I did state it previously but yes, of course everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, it is my personal belief that in order to give any argument credibility, you have to justify it with evidence. If you disagree with that fair enough, not sure there is anything I can say to you. Posters are well within their rights to post any opinion, but they cannot be surprised if people call them out on it if it is not backed by anything substantial or is simply untrue. This applies to BG more than most taking into account his refusal to accept any possibility of him being wrong, and posting this drivel on the regular. That for me personally, is arrogance and deserves to be called out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here