Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I'm not certain whether I'm seeing that picture right but surely it wouldn't take more than an hour to completely dig all that soil and the plants /weeds out of there. You could then pick the weeds out and bin them and replace all the soil. There looks to be barely a wheelie bin's worth of muck there.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
A little bit of stump-killing advice for anyone interested?
With any stumps you can't dig out or grind out, you all will have heard of drilling holes in the stump and pouring in various products and possibly plugging with putty?
Where people go wrong is that they drill holes all over the cross section of the stump and especially, right in the middle. This will not be effective as these parts of the stump are inert as such.
The place to drill the holes is just in from the bark, rather like the where the numbers are on a circular clock, or where the doubles are on a dartboard. This is where, on a freshly cut stump, the cells which take water and food through the tree's system will be active and send the product you choose to use, in to the parts that will kill the stump. If you look closely at a freshly cut stump, you should be able to see this layer.

I'm trying to stop a little tree from growing out of the corner of my front steps. Is there a safe product I can pour over it that won't harm any animals? It's near the public pavement.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm trying to stop a little tree from growing out of the corner of my front steps. Is there a safe product I can pour over it that won't harm any animals? It's near the public pavement.

If you have tried every way to manually remove and have failed, if it has leaves on, you could keep squirting a Glyphosate based weedkiller on it and it should get weaker and weaker and eventually die. Any cancer related scare stories regarding Glyphosate are yet to be verified apparently, but a little application done properly won't cause you to become seriously ill at all. Don't draw me in to an argument regarding this bit of info. It's what the horticultural journals are saying. Take it up with them!
If it has no leaves as you've cut them off, a dedicated stump killer would be best. If you keep cutting it back, the roots will still be romping away.
If you wait until next year when it's grown some nice leaves, a product containing another active ingredient called Triclopyr would kill it with one application. If you can't get it in a garden center, you can certainly buy it on-line, but it would work out expensive for one little sapling.
Both products are used widely all over public parks certainly in this country, and there hasn't been a plague of dog deaths. It's insecticides rather than herbicides where there could be a problem.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If you have tried every way to manually remove and have failed, if it has leaves on, you could keep squirting a Glyphosate based weedkiller on it and it should get weaker and weaker and eventually die. Any cancer related scare stories regarding Glyphosate are yet to be verified apparently, but a little application done properly won't cause you to become seriously ill at all. Don't draw me in to an argument regarding this bit of info. It's what the horticultural journals are saying. Take it up with them!
If it has no leaves as you've cut them off, a dedicated stump killer would be best. If you keep cutting it back, the roots will still be romping away.
If you wait until next year when it's grown some nice leaves, a product containing another active ingredient called Triclopyr would kill it with one application. If you can't get it in a garden center, you can certainly buy it on-line, but it would work out expensive for one little sapling.
Both products are used widely all over public parks certainly in this country, and there hasn't been a plague of dog deaths. It's insecticides rather than herbicides where there could be a problem.

:thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Somewhat related. RJ Brown in Shoreham is looking for a gardener.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Somewhat related. RJ Brown in Shoreham is looking for a gardener.

R John Brown's body laid a mouldering in the grave
Because he was sold Monsanto herbicide weed solutions

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Because he was sold Monsanto herbicide weed solutions

I beg your pardon?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Thank you very much. I will wait until next year and kill it with one application. The making it weaker and weaker until it eventually dies is too cruel

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here