Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] France's Macron brings back national service

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Indeed, Macron has been championed by the remoaner crew as a sensible, centrist European .. the future of the EU. Whereas he has waged war on the unions in France and brought back conscription if any UK politician had acted in a similar way the wave of bile and vitriol from the Guardian/remoaner set would be tsunami-like. See cognitive dissonance.

Indeed, another case of woeful political ignorance by the befuddled pro EU brigade.

Economically speaking Le Pen was politically far more left wing than ex Rothschilds banker Macron, but then for the Europhiles their support of the EU is essentially like religion and they couldn’t get behind the Thatcherite quick enough. Like a fundamentalist nut job, reason, logic and common sense are subordinate to their faith.

Keep up the good work.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
“The mentality of continentals”

Good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, the mentality of the continentals.

https://www.dw.com/en/eu-nations-continue-to-phase-out-military-conscription/a-5749541

Conscription is alive and well on the continent, and in many continental countries it is a recent memory. In France Macron is breathing life back into the construct........and yet people think he’s a liberal.

Sounds much more like a right wing authoritarian to me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Actually, one of the reasons we are so entrenched in the EU is the deeper integration that Tony Blair signed off on for the Lisbon Treaty. You may remember that there was uproar at the time because it was felt like so much was being signed-off, including the role of the ECJ and other institutions that he should have called a referendum on it. But he refused on the basis that he was the elected leader of the country and should be trusted to represent the views of the country. Got that a bit wrong didn't he, much like many other things he thought he knew best about.

Yes the initial driving of the membership of the EEC and EU was originally a Tory-driven idea - that deeper integration accelerated between 1997-2010.

Blair certainly entrenched us in legislation but the programme itself came from the Conservative Party and the ideology of allowing free reign to multi nationals across the continent. To achieve this they need unfettered movement of labour and capital and someone else can pick up the tab(both monetary and non monetary) for the social consequences.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Conscription is a very different thing to national service for a few weeks which includes community and charity work.

Agreed France has long had this type of scheme and it is actually very worthwhile. I didn't actually realise they had abolished it. I worked with a couple of French lads in the '90s who were doing 'national service' even though it was in roles about as far away from the military as was possible, Going back to the OP's point then we can probably agree that no-one (including Brexiters) would be confused by such a concept as it is not conscription to an army. The entire thread is a bit odd.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed France has long had this type of scheme and it is actually very worthwhile. I didn't actually realise they had abolished it. I worked with a couple of French lads in the '90s who were doing 'national service' even though it was in roles about as far away from the military as was possible, Going back to the OP's point then we can probably agree that no-one (including Brexiters) would be confused by such a concept as it is not conscription to an army. The entire thread is a bit odd.

Exactly.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes I used the word conscription .. and didn't mention national service. Macron is introducing a scheme with a compulsory element ..correct?

Education in the UK is compulsory for those of a certain age, I wouldn't call it conscription.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here