Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Well Done Toby Carvery

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Beefs OK, veg is pretty standard and potatoes are far from greasy. The basic cost of ingredients is bound to be under a couple of quid so like spoons they are relying on turnover. It is far from low end, I would say above average having experienced far worse.

Each to their own.

Funny enough just come back from a Toby. The roast potatoes can be a bit dry sometimes wether that's because they are under a heat lamp I don't know. Never found them greasy but it probably depends what carvery you go to. Most of the negative stuff written about Tobys is guff. If you want a proper roast then nothing beats home cooking.
Who wants to be slaving in a hot kitchen on a day like this anyway and all that washing up?
I repeat. For £7 it beats most places by far
The same people dishing it are probably happy to eat the shit macdonalds serve up

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Their release says "to celebrate the bravery of these heroes" … I do have a problem with the use of the word hero for every member of the armed forces. The heroes surely are the ones who have done something heroic. Merely joining the forces cannot immediately make you a hero. To label all the armed forces personnel as heroes is to misuse the term.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hero

2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has special achievements, abilities, or personal qualities and is regarded as a role model or ideal:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Funny enough just come back from a Toby. The roast potatoes can be a bit dry sometimes wether that's because they are under a heat lamp I don't know. Never found them greasy but it probably depends what carvery you go to. Most of the negative stuff written about Tobys is guff. If you want a proper roast then nothing beats home cooking.
Who wants to be slaving in a hot kitchen on a day like this anyway and all that washing up?
I repeat. For £7 it beats most places by far
The same people dishing it are probably happy to eat the shit macdonalds serve up

Well ive been to 4 and none have had greasy potatoes, agree with your post 100%. Irony is weather for me is to hot for roasts, prefer salads and cold food.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Their release says "to celebrate the bravery of these heroes" … I do have a problem with the use of the word hero for every member of the armed forces. The heroes surely are the ones who have done something heroic. Merely joining the forces cannot immediately make you a hero. To label all the armed forces personnel as heroes is to misuse the term.

how would you have liked them to word it?

i do not see myself as a hero, i signed up, did 19 years, survived the falklands war. i did not join up to go to war, i joined up to see the world. the war was an 'added' bonus. training got me through it. met hundreds of mates, lost quite a few too. hero? nah...Jolly Jack? absofickinglutely:salute:

p.s. could do with an anchor face icon thingy

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
tumblr_lyujjv6pUt1qib9oao1_250.gif

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

How would you propose they tackle this? How do you propose to sort your true heros, from the rest?

Maybe announce it as Free Meals for Forces HEROS, but have an X-factor style panel of judges by the entrance? Each serviceman can walk in and recount their most notable acts of service, then the judges decide if they are heroic enough to qualify for the free lunch? The bravest of all, with the best stories, could maybe get an extra Yorkshire pudding or a banana split?

They've ALL signed up, knowing the likelihood / possibility of having to put their lives on the line to defend the rest of us. Signing up, alone, is quite enough for me.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Hampden Park;8502845: p.s. could do with an anchor face icon thingy[/QUOTE said:
Oh yes, certainly need one of these for so Anchor Faced ********. We should also have a ‘swing that lamp’ one as well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How would you propose they tackle this? How do you propose to sort your true heros, from the rest?

Maybe announce it as Free Meals for Forces HEROS, but have an X-factor style panel of judges by the entrance? Each serviceman can walk in and recount their most notable acts of service, then the judges decide if they are heroic enough to qualify for the free lunch? The bravest of all, with the best stories, could maybe get an extra Yorkshire pudding or a banana split?

They've ALL signed up, knowing the likelihood / possibility of having to put their lives on the line to defend the rest of us. Signing up, alone, is quite enough for me.

This 100%.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Maybe announce it as Free Meals for Forces HEROS, but have an X-factor style panel of judges by the entrance? Each serviceman/woman can walk in and recount their most notable acts of service, then the judges decide if they are heroic enough to qualify for the free lunch? The bravest of all, with the best stories, could maybe get an extra Yorkshire pudding or a banana split?

Corrected for you. Remembering Kate Nesbitt, Naval Nurse, who got the Military Cross in Afghanistan.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
how would you have liked them to word it?

i do not see myself as a hero, i signed up, did 19 years, survived the falklands war. i did not join up to go to war, i joined up to see the world. the war was an 'added' bonus. training got me through it. met hundreds of mates, lost quite a few too. hero? nah...Jolly Jack? absofickinglutely:salute:

p.s. could do with an anchor face icon thingy

kisspng-i-refuse-to-sink-anchor-sticker-anchor-5ab61811355982.6836339215218831532185.jpg

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hero

2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has special achievements, abilities, or personal qualities and is regarded as a role model or ideal:

Interesting. I can’t say that very many of the guys I survived with would be classed as role models or an ideal. Well not for those outside of the Armed Forces. To a man and in many cases women we were in no particular order irreverent, irreligious, very un PC, pisstakers, drunk, very often stupid, fiercely loyal, funny, sad and drunk (it was popular).

Most of us left to our devices could end up getting run/trouped if left in an empty room on our own. The worse the situation the more you tried to make fun of it.

Heroes ... not sure. Some of the most entertaining and trust worthy people in the world ... most definitely!

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
interesting. I can’t say that very many of the guys i survived with would be classed as role models or an ideal. Well not for those outside of the armed forces. To a man and in many cases women we were in no particular order irreverent, irreligious, very un pc, pisstakers, drunk, very often stupid, fiercely loyal, funny, sad and drunk (it was popular).

Most of us left to our devices could end up getting run/trouped if left in an empty room on our own. The worse the situation the more you tried to make fun of it.

Heroes ... Not sure. Some of the most entertaining and trust worthy people in the world ... Most definitely!

this ^

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting. I can’t say that very many of the guys I survived with would be classed as role models or an ideal. Well not for those outside of the Armed Forces. To a man and in many cases women we were in no particular order irreverent, irreligious, very un PC, pisstakers, drunk, very often stupid, fiercely loyal, funny, sad and drunk (it was popular).

Heroes ... not sure. Some of the most entertaining and trust worthy people in the world ... most definitely!

You (and I) took an oath to defend the realm with our lives, the ultimate sacrifice many can not or would not be prepared to take. Thats the rub, the type of people who defend the kind of world where "civilised" people would snear at that type of man. Heroes is not an all encompassing term but one that singles out attributes, as the definition I quoted or as ive stated above.

For God, Queen and Country, or Service guarantees Citizenship, phrase it as you will.:)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Trustworthy is a very underrated quality. Working well as a team, looking after your oppo, not running away when the:shit: hits the fan, but getting on with it, and doing your job with a great sense of humour.

Don't underestimate yourselves.

Edited to add this poem.

What is a matelot

A Matelot is not born; he is made out of leftovers! God built the world and the animals and then recycled the gash to create this dastardly weapon.He took the leftover roar of the lion, the howl of the hyena, the clumsiness of the ox, the stubbornness of the mule, the slyness of the fox, the wildness of the bull and the pride of a peacock - then added the filthy evil mind of the devil to satisfy his weird sense of humour.

A Matelot evolved into a crude combination of John Dillinger, Errol Flynn, Beau Brummel and Valentino - a swashbuckling , beer -swilling - lovemaking - LIAR!

A Matelot likes girls, rum, beer, fights, uckers, runs ashore, pubs, jokes, long leave, his mates and his ticket. He hates officers, rounds, divisions, saluting middies, naval police, painting the side, jaunties, navy scran, his turn in the barrel and signing on!

A Matelot comes in four colours; white, off white, dirty and filthy - all looking alike under a tan and a uniform.He is brave drinking beer, abusive playing crib, brutal defending his pride and passionate making love. He can start a brawl, create a disaster, offend the law, desert his ship, and make you lose your money, your temper and your mind!

He can take your sister, your mother, your aunt, and when he is caught get his captain to vouch for his integrity.

A matelot is loved by all mothers, sisters, aunts and nieces; hated by all fathers, brothers, uncles and nephews.

He has a girl in every port and a port in every girl. He breaks more hearts, causes more fights and begets more ******** than any other man, yet when he is off to sea he is missed more than any other!

A matelot is a mean, hard drinking, fast running, mealy mouthed son-of-a-bitch, but when you are in strife he is a strong shoulder to lean on, a pillar of wisdom, and a defender of the faith and cause. He fights for his mate, and dies for his country, without question or hesitation!

This is a Matelot!

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
On my way to the pub for the football yesterday I noticed that Stagecoach Buses are offering free travel on their buses nationwide from today and all weekend as part of Armed Forces Day for all veterans and current military personnel. Just show your military ID card or veteran’s badge apparently. Another nice gesture though.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
“And it’s Tommy this, and Tommy that, and throw him out, the brute,
But it’s hero of his country, when the guns begin to shoot.

Tommy

I WENT into a public 'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, " We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, go away " ;
But it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, wait outside ";
But it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap.
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, fall be'ind,"
But it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Chuck him out, the brute! "
But it's " Saviour of 'is country " when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An 'Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

Rudyard Kipling

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Trustworthy is a very underrated quality. Working well as a team, looking after your oppo, not running away when the:shit: hits the fan, but getting on with it, and doing your job with a great sense of humour.

Don't underestimate yourselves.

Edited to add this poem.

What is a matelot

A Matelot is not born; he is made out of leftovers! God built the world and the animals and then recycled the gash to create this dastardly weapon.He took the leftover roar of the lion, the howl of the hyena, the clumsiness of the ox, the stubbornness of the mule, the slyness of the fox, the wildness of the bull and the pride of a peacock - then added the filthy evil mind of the devil to satisfy his weird sense of humour.

A Matelot evolved into a crude combination of John Dillinger, Errol Flynn, Beau Brummel and Valentino - a swashbuckling , beer -swilling - lovemaking - LIAR!

A Matelot likes girls, rum, beer, fights, uckers, runs ashore, pubs, jokes, long leave, his mates and his ticket. He hates officers, rounds, divisions, saluting middies, naval police, painting the side, jaunties, navy scran, his turn in the barrel and signing on!

A Matelot comes in four colours; white, off white, dirty and filthy - all looking alike under a tan and a uniform.He is brave drinking beer, abusive playing crib, brutal defending his pride and passionate making love. He can start a brawl, create a disaster, offend the law, desert his ship, and make you lose your money, your temper and your mind!

He can take your sister, your mother, your aunt, and when he is caught get his captain to vouch for his integrity.

A matelot is loved by all mothers, sisters, aunts and nieces; hated by all fathers, brothers, uncles and nephews.

He has a girl in every port and a port in every girl. He breaks more hearts, causes more fights and begets more ******** than any other man, yet when he is off to sea he is missed more than any other!

A matelot is a mean, hard drinking, fast running, mealy mouthed son-of-a-bitch, but when you are in strife he is a strong shoulder to lean on, a pillar of wisdom, and a defender of the faith and cause. He fights for his mate, and dies for his country, without question or hesitation!

This is a Matelot!

:blush:me and a few others on here i fear

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here