Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Peter James’ “bomb at the Amex” fiction in Argus today

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I enjoy the fact one can recognise locations but he reminds me of Dame Sally Markham sometimes - Describing Grace as driving east down Edward st, turning left on to George St, heading up St James St is his filler version of 'yahoooooooooooo'.......

I'd call it the literary equivalent of an 'establishing shot'. But the shot is of Eastbourne and you're filming Hastings.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I enjoy the fact one can recognise locations but he reminds me of Dame Sally Markham sometimes - Describing Grace as driving east down Edward st, turning left on to George St, heading up St James St is his filler version of 'yahoooooooooooo'.......

My thoughts exactly!

SAC

May 21, 2014
I enjoyed his books as it's nice to have someone writing about Brighton. I kept reading the new ones despite the irritation over the ex-wife repetitive storyline but gave up one or two back as I just didn't believe them any more. He wrote a one off about a haunted house which was very poor and probably the reason why his publishers asks him to keep banging out more Grace books. However, it is very difficult for any writer to get published (unless you are already famous) and even more difficult to make money out of being published. Fair play to him.

I have absolutely no problem with fiction about a bomb in the Amex, certainly no more so than fiction about a bomb on the London Underground.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've not read any of his books, although I suspect they are the sort of thing I'd enjoy.

However: "But rapidly Grace finds himself entering a dark, criminal underbelly of the city, where the rules are different and nothing is what it seems." - hasn't Roy Grace been knocking about Brighton solving all sorts of heinous crimes for some time now? I would have thought he'd be well acquainted with the criminal underbelly of the city by now.

I enjoy dipping into the world of Roy Grace, Norman Potting and his team. They are what they are, well constructed, enjoyable crime novels with character background narratives and well researched descriptions of Brighton and Sussex; perfect light holiday reading. He's covered organ harvesting, stag dos, prostitution, 9/11, antiques...seems only a matter of time that the Amex was blown up. :whistle:

Seriously though, someone is offended at a fiction crime writer blowing something up? :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Strikes me as one of the most spectacularly tasteless things I’ve seen about the Albion in a while. No wonder the Argus decided not to promote it on its front page, bet they had mixed feelings about it

Do you have a Muesli Hill address?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I've not read any of his books, although I suspect they are the sort of thing I'd enjoy.

However: "But rapidly Grace finds himself entering a dark, criminal underbelly of the city, where the rules are different and nothing is what it seems." - hasn't Roy Grace been knocking about Brighton solving all sorts of heinous crimes for some time now? I would have thought he'd be well acquainted with the criminal underbelly of the city by now.

Well if you'd read the books, you would be aware that Roy Grace usually deals with the criminal side boob of the city. There's nothing worse than a seedy underbelly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can see why people like his books, but personally I can't read them without becoming intensely irritated. He spends hours hanging around with coppers, both current and retired, yet there are so many errors in his writing, it's painful.

Guess I'm looking from a slightly different perspective than many though.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I can see why people like his books, but personally I can't read them without becoming intensely irritated. He spends hours hanging around with coppers, both current and retired, yet there are so many errors in his writing, it's painful.

I've read and enjoyed all his books because I can relate to the locations and settings, HOWEVER, when I look at the number of credits and acknowledgements made to members of the Sussex Police Force I feel a bit uncomfortable.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

As a criminal I know exactly what you mean..... :whistle:

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
The latest book (out tomorrow) is set at the Amex, on the first day of the season against Man City.

I'm still trying to work out how my wife who was up in Brisbane last week was able to buy it.
Available in all bookstores for $16 in softback.

Surely the first release would be in hardback and in the country of origin ?
Anyone in the book publishing industry able to shed any light on this seemingly anomaly ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here