Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Space news [ISS, SpaceX etc]

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Am I allowed to say I shed a tear. It was just ....... wow is too little a word.
If it had been in a James Bond 007 film with those side boosters landing we would have laughed.
Had it on my tablet since 6:30 waiting and interrupted the football to watch.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It's rocket science

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv2YyHBlBsk

As for Space X and the Falcon Heavy I cant help but think we’ve just witnessed a new era of space flight set to re-capture public imagination the same way Apollo and the Shuttle did all those years ago.

My one major regret as a science geek is that on a family holiday to Florida in the 80’s we missed the launch of Discovery by a week. Got to see it on the launch pad and did the IMAX thing but I can only imagine the sense of visceral wonderment to be at an actual launch.

Incredible viewing from start to finish this evening and all for a fraction of the cost of the latest NASA heavy launch vehicle. ($90m v $1.0bln)

Go Elon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Elon Musk

Is he just a white cat away from being 007's next target? Amazing viewing and achievement.

Ps [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] the rocket can lift max payload to 'Low Earth Orbit', a lesser amount to 'High Earth Orbit' and the weight of a car to Mars.

Nasa just use concrete or steel blocks for tests. This is much more inspiring for the imagination.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
BBC now reporting that the centre core had insufficient propellant to reach the ship and was destroyed upon impact with the water at an estimated 500kph.

Irrespective of that though, still incredible for Musk and SpaceX to have a test flight go as well as yesterday's did.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Elon Musk

Is he just a white cat away from being 007's next target? Amazing viewing and achievement.

Ps [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] the rocket can lift max payload to 'Low Earth Orbit', a lesser amount to 'High Earth Orbit' and the weight of a car to Mars.

Nasa just use concrete or steel blocks for tests. This is much more inspiring for the imagination.

From what I read they can lift much more than the weight of a car to Mars (16x the weight of the Curiosity rover) - the car was just a low-value test.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BBC now reporting that the centre core had insufficient propellant to reach the ship and was destroyed upon impact with the water at an estimated 500kph.

Irrespective of that though, still incredible for Musk and SpaceX to have a test flight go as well as yesterday's did.

Musk OUT.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Am I allowed to say I shed a tear. It was just ....... wow is too little a word.
If it had been in a James Bond 007 film with those side boosters landing we would have laughed.
Had it on my tablet since 6:30 waiting and interrupted the football to watch.

I didn't cry but I was sat in my car watching it on my phone and anyone looking would have thought that we'd scored three stunning goals in about ten minutes as I shouted "****ing yes!!" on takeoff "Get in!!!" as the cores detached and "OH MY ****ING GOD!!!!" as they landed.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Never seen anything like those boosters landing. There are some seriously smart people on this planet, lets hope we dont ship them all off to Mars. Cant even imaging the science and brains behind this.

To be honest a couple of billion is not a lot for a project of this magnitude. Unbelievable. If SpaceX has 6000 staff now, there must be a position I could do, like cleaning (though their cleaners probably all have Phds)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
f5bd4b2d6629bd542ef19974390ca110.jpg
Is this one a genuine shot from space or computer generated?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Jesus wept that is shockingly bad journalism. Like a ten year old arguing that throwing a half eaten sandwich in the bin is depriving kids in Africa. If there's one person who these stupid tropes shouldn't be chucked at its Elon Musk. Bloke is doing more for the planet than any government at the moment. ****'s sake.

I'm not even sure I would count it as journalism, its just some tw@ts opinion and whilst money/food in a perfect world could be ideally better distributed, it was probably posted from his Macbook Pro made in China

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here