Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How's 2016 going for you?

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
still having bad luck regarding certain things in life, have managed to lose nearly 3 stone in weight

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Took early retirement in 02 after a clean divorce. By that I mean she got half the house and kept everything in it. I kept the computer and the twelve year old Merc. My terms.
Anyway, now ensconced on the Costa Blanca with government pensions which go up this month with inflation. Not struggling financially and will be coming back to the UK for the Victory Parade on Brighton seafront.
So yeah, this year should be better than last year even if we don’t go up.
Not sure this makes any sense as just in from meeting friends and drinking several Magnos.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So do you not have any sort of job any more?

Not really, no.

It's difficult to describe how unhappy my work was making me. I knew it was making me unhappy at the time, but I've only really appreciated quite how much in the last few weeks since I left.

It's all very well being paid decently, and I was, but there is more to life. A lot of people think I'm mad doing what I've done, but I still believe it's the right thing. Time will tell.

theboybilly

Even without the football 2016 has been great so far. I retired in December and even though I'm not exactly rolling in money with a few tweaks of my finances (cancelling Sky and some necessary monetary housekeeping) I've halved my outgoings. 'Her indoors' has bought a little retreat in Brittany so we're getting that ready for summer. Just got to get some fitness back to start really enjoying life without work.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Not really, no.

It's difficult to describe how unhappy my work was making me. I knew it was making me unhappy at the time, but I've only really appreciated quite how much in the last few weeks since I left.

It's all very well being paid decently, and I was, but there is more to life. A lot of people think I'm mad doing what I've done, but I still believe it's the right thing. Time will tell.
Totally agree re your last paragraph. Good on you.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Not really, no.

Good for you. I could have stayed in a job which was OK and the longer I stayed would have increased my pension. I though,t there is more to life than this. Circumstances made me move on and it’s the best thing that could have happened. I actually thank my Ex for leaving for leaving our loveless marriage and forcing me to move on. We are on quite good terms now as it happens.
I would have stayed doing the same old, same old, for another fifteen years.
I must remember to thank her when I come back in a couple of weeks. I will be back for the Victory parade on Brighton seafront.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Life's fine. But as I have said a few times now I took similar action to you about 10 years ago. I now work more on my terms and don't commute. Commuting sucks the life out of you; it's a killer.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I have an impending feeling of doom, but that aside, it's been about the same as every other year.

The Albion are doing well and the kids are thriving so that's a big plus.

:)

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
I have an impending feeling of doom, but that aside, it's been about the same as every other year.

The Albion are doing well and the kids are thriving so that's a big plus.

:)
I had the same feeling in 2008 & acted against the doom situation before it came about (which it did, only a few months later). Best decision I ever made - took a big pay cut but ended with a dream job, poor but happy. Kids leading sustainable lives, BHA 3rd, life is sweet!

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Shocking putt by Spieth, huge for Willett.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
medically crap, just lost my last Auntie of 7 sisters and two brothers,and a very good friend is dying, had a poxy cold forever, but the good thing is a great grandaughter is on the way and if she gives us as much fun and joy as her brother has it will be Ok

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
2016? My wife's battle with dementia has escalated dramatically in recent months which has shaken me to the core tbf but I'm fortunate that I took early retirement 7 years ago so we've had that quality time together unlike others I've known, The pension fund is running down and I was worried at the end of last year but now it looks like it will be sufficient to ensure what we can maintain her quality of life before I have to cut back a bit.. In the US now and we will have a couple of months around Europe later in the year in the expectation it'll be the last time,

Not our best year but it could be worse and the single good to come from it has been the confirmation that we have a wonderful and supportive family,

One thing that does need to happen to make our year better is for the Albion to go up if only because we will see more games on TV having had to pass on ST renewal,

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's all very well being paid decently, and I was, but there is more to life.
There sure is.
A lot of people think I'm mad doing what I've done, but I still believe it's the right thing. Time will tell.
So what's the plan?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There sure is.
So what's the plan?

Surely something to do with building online communities would be a direction to explore. There must be companies that would be interested in his proven ability to build community as he has done with NSC. A marketers dream I would have thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here