Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Large erections off Brighton beach

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Aren't they carving up the countryside linking it all up as well, thought I saw rampion works up near poynings the other day, if so it must be costing a fortune buying all that land from coast up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Much work has been done above Worthing ( particularly north of Sompting I understand) in terms of burying cabling into the downs but where it goes thereafter GAK !

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
How bad is your eyesight? You can see all the stumps when driving down snakey hill.

You can see some - from Snakey Hill or the seafront.

But you can see a lot more through binoculars.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Much work has been done above Worthing ( particularly north of Sompting I understand) in terms of burying cabling into the downs but where it goes thereafter GAK !

I'd suggest that the most works have been underneath Worthing / Sompting.

They've drilled underneath from North East of Lyons Farm to Brooklands, as told to me by a deep sea diver who knows these things, without road closures and the minimal of fuss.

Also been told it'll be the world's largest off shore wind farm, with 119 turbines, stretching from Worthing to Peacehaven, about 8 miles out.at first wave.

Just wait until Brexiters on here delve more......

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

They've drilled underneath from North East of Lyons Farm to Brooklands, as told to me by a deep sea diver who knows these things, without road closures and the minimal of fuss.

Also been told it'll be the world's largest off shore wind farm, with 119 turbines, stretching from Worthing to Peacehaven, about 8 miles out.at first wave.

It's only 116 turbines but nonetheless big.

"The wind farm will be equipped with 116 Vestas V112-3.45MWwind turbines of 3.45MW capacity each. The turbines will be installed at a minimum distance 750m from each other and connected by means of inter array cables. Each turbine will have a hub height of 84m and a height of 140m to blade tip."

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Is it bigger than just off Whitehaven, near the Lakes, which is also a thing of beauty, grace and power? I've a feeling that that might be classified as two farms, although they're very close to one another.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
It's only 116 turbines but nonetheless big.

"The wind farm will be equipped with 116 Vestas V112-3.45MWwind turbines of 3.45MW capacity each. The turbines will be installed at a minimum distance 750m from each other and connected by means of inter array cables. Each turbine will have a hub height of 84m and a height of 140m to blade tip."

Cheers for that, you're correct about that it'll be 116 turbines.

It's good to get these facts clear on a thread about it

What with it having been a decent summer, I've been taking my kayak off Worthing beach since April on less windy days and only realised then that something was happening out there.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This is the view from opposite Lower Rock Gardens in Brighton. Fully zoomed on my standard lens. I may put my super-zoom on tomorrow to get closer.

Attachments

• Rampion Wind Farm NSC.jpg
    Rampion Wind Farm NSC.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 237

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Flippin eck. Isn't that a danger to shipping?

Only if you are crap at the helm of a ship. Most ships passing through the channel stick to the channel separation scheme which is a lot further out than the wind farm which is classed as inshore waters in relation to the scheme. Should only get smaller vessels in and out of the local ports and the Wind farm will be very visible both to the naked eye and on radar.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Also been told it'll be the world's largest off shore wind farm.

At 400 MW capacity and 116 turbines it probably won't even make the top 10.

London Array already has 175 turbines and 630 MW capacity. There are several around the world in the works that will be much bigger than that. When it's finished, Borssele off the Dutch coast will have 1,400 MW capacity.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Pickles

May 5, 2014
At 400 MW capacity and 116 turbines it probably won't even make the top 10.

London Array already has 175 turbines and 630 MW capacity. There are several around the world in the works that will be much bigger than that. When it's finished, Borssele off the Dutch coast will have 1,400 MW capacity.

Cheers for that one, Truffle.

I've just done some googling, maybe my deep sea diving mate meant as originally proposed with 175 turbines and 700 MW?

The Argus reckon it could be expanded if 'succesful'.

Also came across this photo showing the scarring of the downs by the trenching of the cables. Wow.

5089323.jpg

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I suppose you like suburban sprawl using up the retreating countryside.

Sorry but no, I don't like to see any countryside taken way!. But then it's innevitable. Human population expanding beyond what the world can give!.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Will they be lit up in the dark? I saw some in France that had lights and when the blades went round they turned into stroboscopes!

Only if you are crap at the helm of a ship. Most ships passing through the channel stick to the channel separation scheme which is a lot further out than the wind farm which is classed as inshore waters in relation to the scheme. Should only get smaller vessels in and out of the local ports and the Wind farm will be very visible both to the naked eye and on radar.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Oh, thank you. Must say, I was hoping for a few smutty replies before getting to the sensible answer, but thanks anyway.

I opened this with enthusiasm and wondered whether a move back to Brighton should be soon!:blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here