Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scientology

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Absolutely massive site at Saint's Hill by East Grinstead, I've been inside, lovely looking place but I was glad to leave again.

Me too. Around the time of the Great Gale in 1987 I was temping through an agency. One of the positions was at Saint Hill Manor and I was led into this "inner sanctum" type places which was dark apart from some candles.

It was explained that there were a couple of year-end accounts to prepare and that it was urgent and they wanted me to stay there whilst I completed it. I politely declined and raced off back home pleased to be away from the place.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I came in to contact with them once and to be honest the experience freaked me out.

I was hanging around tottenham court road one day years ago waiting for my Wife and I found myself standing outside the scientology building. I had always been intrigued when I wandered past there and this time as I had some time to spare I thought I would pop in 'for a laugh'. There was a bloke in there who was dressed really smartly who suggested I watched a short video which explained it all and then he would talk to me further afterwards. He led me up this staircase at the back of the room in to a really dark cinema room and I sat towards the front and he sat down right at the back.

From what I can remember the opening sequence of the film had spinning planets and asteroids in it and it made me feel a bit strange as I was watching it so I closed my eyes. The sensation was similar to what I imagine being hypnotised might feel like.

The rest of the film from memory seemed to like a really cheesy american promotional video with the presenter explaining the various books that you could read and what were available to buy. After about 20mins I decided it was dragging on and decided to leave, the bloke was no longer in the cinema with me and there was nobody in the shop so I left.

On the way home I felt really strange and slightly disorientated and nearly crashed the car at one point. All-in-all a very strange and surreal experience!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I have been a couple of times as a contractor. Was also happy to get out before they tried to brain wash me.

Friend's mate did some work there, building stuff I believe, and him and his other half were subsequently invited to their Xmas party but were told they'd have to sign a disclaimer and not bring any mobile phones or cameras etc. They didn't bother.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Friend's mate did some work there, building stuff I believe, and him and his other half were subsequently invited to their Xmas party but were told they'd have to sign a disclaimer and not bring any mobile phones or cameras etc. They didn't bother.

Not that I disbelieve you at all (genuinly), but why would they celebrate Christmas?? I thought they worshiped little green men in spaceships? Seems a bit odd!?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
image.jpeg

Always wanted one of their auditing machines. Supposed to contain a few twisty wires

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We have a Scientology shop in Plymouth and my daughters tutor was one, she tried to give me books by Hubbard to read, I declined and took my daughter out of the extra tuition lessons.
Fruit cakes the lot of them.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Louis Theroux has done a documentary about them but not sure if it has reached the cinema yet. I saw a trailer for it and even the open minded mild mannered Louis seemed frustrated at the conversation in the road with the Scientologist not letting him through

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Not that I disbelieve you at all (genuinly), but why would they celebrate Christmas?? I thought they worshiped little green men in spaceships? Seems a bit odd!?

Wondered that myself when writing it but sure I was told it was an Xmas thing. Maybe it just happened to be around Christmas time, but wasn't a celebration of Christmas as such. Either way, it's not the most sensational tale! :)

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Wasn't it started by L Ron Hubbard who used to write sci-fi comics for kids?

Also, isn't east grinstead the HQ for Scientology?

Yes, and he's still writing them apparently - even though he's been dead for years.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Louis Theroux has done a documentary about them but not sure if it has reached the cinema yet. I saw a trailer for it and even the open minded mild mannered Louis seemed frustrated at the conversation in the road with the Scientologist not letting him through

That was on TV as one of his programmes a couple of years ago.
It was all very odd.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
Wasn't it L Ron Hubbard who is credited with having said "the quickest way to make a million is to start a religion"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Wasn't it L Ron Hubbard who is credited with having said "the quickest way to make a million is to start a religion"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did. Not long after that Scientology popped up. I went for nearly a year about 16 years ago. I don't know if everything that is said about them is true, but I don't think they are a very nice and totally honest group thats for sure.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i recall that he started Scientology as a bet to prove this. the funniest thing about it, he got taken in by the cult he created, i suppose you would when these people treat you as a messiah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here