Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I really enjoyed last night. Very different running as part of a team and loved the last lap when you all run together! Cheers to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] for all the organisation. See some of you at the Pheonix 10k on the 12th July.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good evening indeed. The gaffer rode his luck. Unable to get a spare runner from any of the clubs when out of the blue [MENTION=9083]Anchorman[/MENTION] turned up and slotted into the minor egos of team B.
Good running and team spirit all round. Found some more NSC runners too. Should be able to get a NSC Parkrun challenge going this summer.
Our wooden spoon team performed admirably and with 2 members leaving the pub at 11.30 ended the evening in double figures for pints drunk. I may pop into the Jog Shop later to see if he has collated the results onto the back of a fag packet in pencil, yet.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi all, wondering if you can help. I have a niggling hamstring injury as well as on off issues with my lower back. I can still run to a reasonable level, but feel the niggles just getting worse. Can any of you recommend a sports physio That you have used, feel like I need some expert advice/treatment. Many thanks in advance

Jesus is your man, if in Hove. http://www.coralfitness.co.uk/sports-injuries-clinics Booked for up to 2 weeks currently though. Could be iliotibial band syndrome. Usually only need one visit with Paul.
Seeing him this afternoon and hoping he gets this Achilles freed up, so I can start doing some training. There are a lot of young NSC Gazelles that need chasing!

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
Brilliant time last and great to meet some of the NSC community. My thanks also to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] for organising. With the popularity of this thread ever increasing it will be interesting to see how many teams we have next year!

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Jesus is your man, if in Hove. http://www.coralfitness.co.uk/sports-injuries-clinics Booked for up to 2 weeks currently though. Could be iliotibial band syndrome. Usually only need one visit with Paul.
Seeing him this afternoon and hoping he gets this Achilles freed up, so I can start doing some training. There are a lot of young NSC Gazelles that need chasing!

Cheers Knocky, I will get in contact with him, needs sorting so I can get back to some proper Park Run times, haven't run since a 20:50 in Worthing back in December and miles off that pace at the mo.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good evening indeed. The gaffer rode his luck. Unable to get a spare runner from any of the clubs when out of the blue [MENTION=9083]Anchorman[/MENTION] turned up and slotted into the minor egos of team B.
Good running and team spirit all round. Found some more NSC runners too. Should be able to get a NSC Parkrun challenge going this summer.
Our wooden spoon team performed admirably and with 2 members leaving the pub at 11.30 ended the evening in double figures for pints drunk. I may pop into the Jog Shop later to see if he has collated the results onto the back of a fag packet in pencil, yet.

I'm not sure I want to know the scores on the doors (I do, but you know what I mean). Just checked my times from last year – not gonna be breaking any 2.5k records there...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm not sure I want to know the scores on the doors (I do, but you know what I mean). Just checked my times from last year – not gonna be breaking any 2.5k records there...

Us as a team last year, plus Ninja and the ringer got 13th place and 52" 51secs. Wonder if that will beat this year's B team?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just been in Jog Shop as you can imagine there is paper everywhere!

The results will be online this afternoon but I did get as many results as I could without being a pain in the arse.

Super Ego's finished 5th out of 75

Leg 1 - 10:23
Leg 2 - 10:19
Leg 3 - 10:03
Leg 4 - 10:01
Leg 5 - 11:02

Total 51:48

The first two legs are official times the other 3 are based on my Garmin & maths skills as we couldn't trace them.

Our B team finished in 59:57
C team finished in 63:46

I didn't get the placings.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

The results will be online this afternoon but I did get as many results as I could without being a pain in the arse.

The first two legs are official times the other 3 are based on my Garmin & maths skills as we couldn't trace them.

Blimey Super Egos, you were a bit slack on the last leg...

Seriously, that's a fantastic effort, well done lads :clap2: I'm just happy that the 'Bs' snuck in just under the hour mark.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Excellent running all round! Really enjoyed it despite being rather more uphill than I expected.

Thanks for the organisation, great to meet everyone, no chance of remembering all the names but if you see me knocking around Hove Park on a Saturday morning come and say hello!

Think I need to see a sports physio and keep of the crisps before I'll be challenging the Egos though...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great running by all taking part last night. Sounds like a top evening with lots of happy runners in the pictures. Pencil me in for 2018 coach.

Are you on the mend? I saw Jesus again today for the Achilles scar tissue. He attacked it violently with his thumb and I left in more pain than I entered. He reckons one more visit in two weeks time and I'll be 100% then. Told to continue with just 2 runs a week but will lengthen the distance from Parkrun as I'm going to give the Phoenix 10k a shot. I'll jog round with [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]...... :lol:
This the entry for anyone interested. http://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/event/BrightonPhoenix10K20172

I noticed today that the chubby bloke who runs the Jog Shop and organised the Weakest Link Relay (had the timer at the finish line) has run over a 100 marathons with a pb of 2:18:00. Well done mate and great old school events organiser.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Muscle memory. Now there's a thing. After 8 years of running 2-3 times a week (with no breaks) it was the fear of going through all the pain again that stopped me taking any breaks during that time. I wasn't one for crazy mileage. 13 miles is the furthest I've ever run and on average I'd probably only do 4-5 miles a time. Anyway in May last year my circumstances changed slightly and I ended up with more or less 12 months off running. Fast forward to Apr this year and I was faced with the daunting prospect of purchasing a brand new summer wardrobe - all in one size up. A stone heavier, moody and lazy I decided enough was enough. So out I went and just 2.5 miles later I was on my arse. Given my previous levels of fitness (all relative of course) I was cursing myself for knocking it on the head. I'd heard runners talk about muscle memory, but knew little about it myself as I'd never had to rely on it before. Well now I do know. 8 weeks in, I'm almost a stone lighter and able to run my regular 5 milers with ease. Who'd have thought the body could remember so quickly. I'm not a naturally fit individual and I'll probably never return to my peak of 3 years ago (time just doesn't allow anymore). But that's okay. I'm healthier, slimmer, happier and have twice as much energy than when I wasn't running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'll now add my grovelling congrats to the NSc teams. I was away this year but maybe next year we could look at a seniors (aka Old Gits) team? Are the results viewable at all?

You're more Zimmer frame than senior in athletics terms, although your 5k times are edging close to a sub 20 effort. As 5 or 6 years your junior I presume to be in the team on age but we'd then have to drop 6-7 years to the young [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and young [MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION]666 both recently 50, I think. Anyone missed on age? Could be a good, sub 21 5k pace,team especially as none are good enough to be Super Egos!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

That is top, top work! I think we could maybe have given it a touch more on the straight between the bottom of the Duke's Mound downhill and Black Rock but I wanted to keep plenty in the tank for the hills and then the finale. Very happy with our performance there fellas. It'll be interesting to see who runs qualifying times for the Ego's in 2018!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Muscle memory. Now there's a thing. After 8 years of running 2-3 times a week (with no breaks) it was the fear of going through all the pain again that stopped me taking any breaks during that time. I wasn't one for crazy mileage. 13 miles is the furthest I've ever run and on average I'd probably only do 4-5 miles a time. Anyway in May last year my circumstances changed slightly and I ended up with more or less 12 months off running. Fast forward to Apr this year and I was faced with the daunting prospect of purchasing a brand new summer wardrobe - all in one size up. A stone heavier, moody and lazy I decided enough was enough. So out I went and just 2.5 miles later I was on my arse. Given my previous levels of fitness (all relative of course) I was cursing myself for knocking it on the head. I'd heard runners talk about muscle memory, but knew little about it myself as I'd never had to rely on it before. Well now I do know. 8 weeks in, I'm almost a stone lighter and able to run my regular 5 milers with ease. Who'd have thought the body could remember so quickly. I'm not a naturally fit individual and I'll probably never return to my peak of 3 years ago (time just doesn't allow anymore). But that's okay. I'm healthier, slimmer, happier and have twice as much energy than when I wasn't running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you! Sounds like what I'm going through with swimming and cycling at the moment Once the old body remembers how to do both activities efficiently I'll be well away.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That is top, top work! I think we could maybe have given it a touch more on the straight between the bottom of the Duke's Mound downhill and Black Rock but I wanted to keep plenty in the tank for the hills and then the finale. Very happy with our performance there fellas. It'll be interesting to see who runs qualifying times for the Ego's in 2018!

Let's break 50 minutes next year! That's got to be the aim.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here