Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

albionite

May 20, 2009
Is DOO already in place on Victoria to Littlehampton service? We had a second member of train crew yet left 20mins late due to camera fault, and then cancelled when the new driver got on due to presumably same camera fault and ran fast to Littlehampton.

I didn't realise this route was DOO, but also thought if there was a fault second crew member could assist? Or are we the passengers being taken the piss out of by unhappy staff

Yes all doo now, many services going without obs

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Yes all doo now, many services going without obs

Yep, it's almost as though Southern were lying when they said trains would only go without an OBS in exceptional circumstances. Who'd have ever predicted that.....? But don't forget it's all about modernisation and improving customer service.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yep, it's almost as though Southern were lying when they said trains would only go without an OBS in exceptional circumstances. Who'd have ever predicted that.....? But don't forget it's all about modernisation and improving customer service.

The OBS trolley dollies were always going to be utterly surplus to GTR bottom line requirements, giving that they care the square root of f*ck all about customer service.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
15871816_10154920358129529_6528786369887362519_n.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Sorry my point was, there was an OBS, yet I suffered a 50minute delay because the DOO equipment was faulty. In that instance why can't the OBS despatch us, or platform staff ?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Looks like ongoing disruption tomorrow-

http://www.juicebrighton.com/news/brighton-news/rush-hour-warning-at-brighton-station/

I find this term 'overtime ban' a bit hard to swallow. Overtime is surely voluntary, if the staff chose not to work overtime (albeit they may have been advised by their union), that's all fine isn't it?

If southern run their entire business model relying on voluntary overtime, because it's cheaper than employing more staff, this is the risk they run isn't it?

Their business model relies on the goodwill of staff to volunteer to work overtime. There isn't any goodwill so that doesn't work. Time to bite the bullet and employ more staff?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

http://www.juicebrighton.com/news/brighton-news/rush-hour-warning-at-brighton-station/

I find this term 'overtime ban' a bit hard to swallow. Overtime is surely voluntary, if the staff chose not to work overtime (albeit they may have been advised by their union), that's all fine isn't it?

If southern run their entire business model relying on voluntary overtime, because it's cheaper than employing more staff, this is the risk they run isn't it?

Their business model relies on the goodwill of staff to volunteer to work overtime. There isn't any goodwill so that doesn't work. Time to bite the bullet and employ more staff?!

Wow! Either you have been living in a cave for the last year, and really have not noticed the poor service. Or you are a union stooge trying to deflect justifiable criticism of your targeted action against Joe Public?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
My point is that if Southern employed enough staff to operate their business without relying on staff doing overtime on their rest days, an 'overtime ban' wouldn't be a problem.

It's a flawed business model and customers are suffering as a result.

It's not the only problem, but it is a problem which seems to have a simple solution.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Absolute joke this morning. Got up at usual silly o'clock to check trains to Victoria and.....

joke.jpg

No direct Victoria service for 2 hours after 6:45! I love the way the Gatwick Express services don't appear as "cancelled" Presumably a ruse by SASTA as they are not technically "cancelled" they are just starting at Gatwick not Brighton.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My point is that if Southern employed enough staff to operate their business without relying on staff doing overtime on their rest days, an 'overtime ban' wouldn't be a problem.

It's a flawed business model and customers are suffering as a result.

It's not the only problem, but it is a problem which seems to have a simple solution.

Southern are not in business to run a service, they are in business to make money. Employing more staff would cost money.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Absolute joke this morning. Got up at usual silly o'clock to check trains to Victoria and.....

View attachment 80717

No direct Victoria service for 2 hours after 6:45! I love the way the Gatwick Express services don't appear as "cancelled" Presumably a ruse by SASTA as they are not technically "cancelled" they are just starting at Gatwick not Brighton.

The absolute Shower of S*** that is Southern deliberately reschedule the timetable for direct trains between London and Brighton meaning that you cannot make a direct train service between 5.00 pm and 6pm . If that isnt targeting customers ,then i dont know what is .
Southern , the Unions and the Govt all seem not to care one hoot . A shame its not election year ,

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

what Southern appear to have done is bring in an emergency timetable without actually announcing it. direct services from Brighton to London have been cut, and GW is Gatwick-London only now. other services have been cut from twice hourly to hourly, presumably to reduce the number of drivers needed, so they can maintain services across the whole network at sacrifice of Brighton and frequency.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
what Southern appear to have done is bring in an emergency timetable without actually announcing it. direct services from Brighton to London have been cut, and GW is Gatwick-London only now. other services have been cut from twice hourly to hourly, presumably to reduce the number of drivers needed, so they can maintain services across the whole network at sacrifice of Brighton and frequency.

Correct I think - several trains to/from my local station have 'disappeared' from the current timetable

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
hitting the Brighton service this hard will bring this to a head I think - this is a disastrous tactical error. And it's up against some pretty stiff competition for ill advised tactics.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sussex no longer has a fit for purpose railway.

Get someone in who can deliver one.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Brighton lot can just get a West coastway service to Hove and change there surely... ? :)

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost

This post is spot on in my opinion, apart from the solution which clearly isn't going to happen. If your business relies on your staff saying 'yes' to overtime, it would be sensible to continue to ensure they are willing to do so. Sadly this didn't seem to cross Southern's mind when this all started.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The absolute Shower of S*** that is Southern deliberately reschedule the timetable for direct trains between London and Brighton meaning that you cannot make a direct train service between 5.00 pm and 6pm . If that isnt targeting customers ,then i dont know what is .

Those were my thoughts this morning when i saw there were practically no direct trains from Brighton to Victoria. Nearly all of them involved changing at pinch-points Haywards Heath, Three Bridges or East Croydon. Almost like an incitement to riot. Does seem like we're approaching the end game now. It won't be pretty. But hopefully we'll emerge out the other side with a regional rail service fit for purpose.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Correct I think - several trains to/from my local station have 'disappeared' from the current timetable

Sussex no longer has a fit for purpose railway.

Get someone in who can deliver one.

Since the overtime ban there have been zero direct services from London Bridge along the West Coast service via Hove in the evening. It's either go to Victoria or catch a train to East Croydon, and pick up the Victoria service from there. The 3rd choice is via Brighton, but that's the last resort.

My question, which I asked the other day is this. As this is now a published timetable, does that mean I can't claim delay repay from the 17:40 to Littlehampton, as it no longer exists? After all, there is now no train home from the City anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here