Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Wilson [signs on loan until the end of the season]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yeah I was looking at loans only

you set your sights very low. maybe knight. but none of the others are players who, as far as i'm concerned 'knew where the net is'! in the amex period in particular we have created so many opportunities only to leave us with our heads in our hands because we yet again didn't 'have a go' or missed a good chance!!

Actually think he was, as then, when we signed him permanently I believe QPR tried to gazump us. We then had a few games with QPR where he got a lot of stick. Including a couple of cup games.

According to wiki you're correct (it says loan 2 apps 4 goals?!) although I could've sworn that's not true. I recall seeing him in pre season v Leicester and we'd signed him permanany and I remember thinking he looks good - don't recall a loan...

I distinctly remember QPR away in JPT or whatever it was called then, on a Sunday. We lost and were relying on Chris McPhee up tops and remember some hilarious QPR fans singing 'Leon dive dive dive' :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Knight joined us on a two-month loan from Chelsea on July 24 2003 (ignore the date on the article) - Albion Sign Knight

The loan was made permanent on Aug 21 2003 - Leon Knight Signs For Albion

Thanks mate - maybe because it was the start of the season is I'd forgotten the loan bit! Must've been a loan player when he scored twice (I think) v Leicester in that friendly at Withers - I remember thinking what a great player he looked then!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not saying I don't rate him but he's just signed a 4 year deal with United.

Best case scenario is he scores at hatful and we get promoted, but then he'll almost certainly go back to Man Utd. I'm uncomfortable with losing a key striker over the summer; the likes of Callum Wilson, Matt Ritchie, Troy Deeney, Ighalo, Cameron Jerome were big players in the Championship last season and still important for their sides in the Prem.

With James Wilson, Bobby, Hemed and Baldock we could get promoted and have no strikers of Prem quality on our books. I know it's nice to be in the Prem but Hughton has already said it wasn't ideal having to recruit as many as 9 players over this summer so he might have to recruit 4 strikers alone next summer.

I'd rather sign someone who was proven at this level or higher who will stick around.
If - IF, IF, IF! - we get promoted, we can worry about the strike force then. Let's just worry about getting promoted in the first place!

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Will we ever be satisfied.

Here we are at the end of November,the Christmas lights are on & we are 2nd in the league still unbeaten.
We hear a rumour about us signing a hot shot young striker from Man Utd.
Are we happy,Oh god no there must be lots of other players out there that are better than him.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Will we ever be satisfied.

Here we are at the end of November,the Christmas lights are on & we are 2nd in the league still unbeaten.
We hear a rumour about us signing a hot shot young striker from Man Utd.
Are we happy,Oh god no there must be lots of other players out there that are better than him.

The main posters who are moaning thought Hyypia deserved more time, Lindgard was great and Tex was shite, and we should sign Halford permanently. There are always some bellends on here, not sure if they are WUMs or just clueless. Most of the people who seem to have at least a basic grasp of football think he'd do a decent job for 5 or 6 weeks.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
For the next couple of months this lad would be immense. And he is desperate for games and too prove himself :)

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'm very much in the bring him in if we can camp. This spell up to and over Christmas and new year could make our season. I know there's no guarantees but I believe he will get us goals, enhance our goal difference and win us points in some of those crucial matches

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Wasnt it Brian Clough who said a team scores on average 1 in 6 chances so if you dont make the chances you wont score the goals, or something very similar.

No, that was on that transfer rumour site...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That was said long before the rumours site came into being, possibly even the internet.

On Wilson wouldnt think he figures much in Uniteds immediate plans as they dominated last night and just needed a goal but didnt throw him on.

It was in the Transfer Rumours weekly magazine.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
"Hoist with his own petard" as Shakespeare was wont to say :lol:

Fair play. I'm willing to be hoisted but, without wanting to appear ultra-defensive:
-- I was making no claim to certainty
-- [MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION]' comment doesn't undermine my suggestion (which is something different to a claim) about misses, which I did explain what I understood by the term in the post you're responding to. In a world with only goals and misses, there would be no saves and lots of hashtagsblamestockdale

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here