Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] *** Labour Party Annual Conference, 23-25 September 2018, ACC Liverpool ***

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
In free trading, takeovers happen, such as the utilities. In 1992, I had employee shares, but 10 years later, there was a takeover with compulsory share purchases.
Do we ban free trade?

No of course not, but I was replying to a post about improving existing share schemes as an alternative. I am just very surprised that the Labour party would even consider "encouraging" share ownership and make statements that employees could make up to £500 a year from dividends. They are making it sound like share ownership is a nailed-on money making scheme, whereas the reality can be very different.

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
Am I?
It's not called the Brexit Broadcasting Company for nothing. I know for a fact their news bulletins, or at least one of them was very misleading.
Several of their top people have stood for the Tories in council elections.

Never before have I heard it called that, although I do - partly - blame the Beeb for Brexit, but for very different reasons (ask me) to your own misapprehensions.

Try listening to Radio 4 or 5 for a day or two: you will realise that these services are run by faceless 'social justice warriors', largely angry feminists who despise white, male, middle class people, the educated and certainly tories (they're not too keen on heterosexual women either) - which is ironic as 60% (I'm guessing) of their funding - and therefore their plump salaries - are paid for by exactly these demographics.

Like Corbyn, 'other peoples money'.

The BBC's funding licence fee is mandatory if you have a TV. The sooner it is abolished and the BBC has to compete on a level ground with other broadcasters, the better.

These overpaid, left-wing apparatchiks would be able to mix amongst their preferred company at the job centre. Bring it on.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Never before have I heard it called that, although I do - partly - blame the Beeb for Brexit, but for very different reasons (ask me) to your own misapprehensions.

Try listening to Radio 4 or 5 for a day or two: you will realise that these services are run by faceless 'social justice warriors', largely angry feminists who despise white, male, middle class people, the educated and certainly tories (they're not too keen on heterosexual women either) - which is ironic as 60% (I'm guessing) of their funding - and therefore their plump salaries - are paid for by exactly these demographics.

Like Corbyn, 'other peoples money'.

The BBC's funding licence fee is mandatory if you have a TV. The sooner it is abolished and the BBC has to compete on a level ground with other broadcasters, the better.

These overpaid, left-wing apparatchiks would be able to mix amongst their preferred company at the job centre. Bring it on.

Its sad we still need in your view 'angry feminists' due to views like these. I find it amazing Albion a club saved by such a wide variety of fans, has fans posting stuff like this.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
They’re a bad idea because they frighten off kids from working class families from going to university. The kids see the potential debt in three years and it’s a scary thought, whereas Toby and Jocasta know that their parents can pay it off.

I agree that to an extent the present arrangements are a form of graduate tax, but it’s not communicated in that way.

But more kids from poorer backgrounds are going to uni now than before fees. This is a myth that it puts them off.

P.s. my wife is currently retraining at the age of 39 to be a teacher. It has cost her 9k. She wants to be a teacher and is pragmatic and says I will never pay it off so it is not a proper debt.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
But more kids from poorer backgrounds are going to uni now than before fees. This is a myth that it puts them off.

P.s. my wife is currently retraining at the age of 39 to be a teacher. It has cost her 9k. She wants to be a teacher and is pragmatic and says I will never pay it off so it is not a proper debt.

Well lets hope we get a change of government and in future the country can pay to train teachers and not the individual. Perhaps if some people are happy with the debt they can opt to pay and we can train even more.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't follow the distinction you are trying to make? Why do you think there ARE more banks? :shrug:

Firstly, there's plenty of evidence to support the view that high take-up of third-level of education is overwhelmingly a good thing for a nation's economy.

More specifically, who said anything about 'useless' degrees? Whilst I'm not arrogant enough to offer myself as the arbiter of which degrees are 'useful' and which are not, there are clearly some which fall fairly and squarely into the former category.

Personally I'd propose a system, where courses that are demonstrably in the public interest (teaching, nursing, paramedics, etc) are fully funded, with a contract element that commits the recipient of the 'free' course, to working within the public sector for a set period afterwards. Have your free nursing degree, then commit to six (or whatever works) years within the NHS, before taking that lucrative job in Dubai, etc.

That people have to pay £9,000 per year to train to work in the NHS as a nurse, is a national scandal. It's no wonder we are utterly reliant on the immoral practice of importing staff that other less well-off nations have invested in training, to keep the system running.

100% this.................in Scotland, nursing students get their tuition fees paid, AND receive a bursary of about £6,500 per annum. The other issue affecting nursing/midwifery students is the 'placements' - whilst good training, they essentially amount to unpaid labour (4-8 weeks every term and can include night shifts etc).

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
100% this.................in Scotland, nursing students get their tuition fees paid, AND receive a bursary of about £6,500 per annum. The other issue affecting nursing/midwifery students is the 'placements' - whilst good training, they essentially amount to unpaid labour (4-8 weeks every term and can include night shifts etc).

Awww that is so harsh isnt it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Agree with you. Nursing students should get tuition paid for, plus a bursary. As it was.

The problem with bringing Scotland into any public finances discussion (nursing, uni fees, dentistry) is that it receives £10.6B per annum more for public spending than England on a comparable per capita basis, due to the Barnett Formula. The huge subsidy from the UK public finances pot makes it all feasible.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I admire her intention to teach, I wish her well but fear her enthusiasm will be quickly crushed by the harsh reality of the job.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
When in opposition you can say what you like and Corbyn will continue to do so. He may tell us sometime how he is going to pay for increases to public servants, more teachers, more policeman,no student fees, return of student fees, increases to oap pensions, 1000s of new council homes, increase in benefits, increase of min wage. etc etc. In the real world these services are paid for by people working for profitable companies or themselves and these companies pay huge amount of corporation tax.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I admire her intention to teach, I wish her well but fear her enthusiasm will be quickly crushed by the harsh reality of the job.

She should be fine. She always wanted to be a teacher but fell into a good job after uni. She realised she didn’t really like it that much and was diagnosed with cancer when she was pregnant with our twin girls in 2010. Now she is better she decided to fulfil her life dream. Even if she decides after a few years it is not for her then she will have done what she always wanted to do.

For what it is worth, I think she is nuts.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
It is if you're unpaid, and all your student mates are on holiday.......

I was doing night shifts on peanuts at 19. The end goal is what you deserve from hard work, not for free when your in your twenties! I sacrificed to gain, even at times unpaid work. Life is for the earning and taking not being GIVEN.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was doing night shifts on peanuts at 19. The end goal is what you deserve from hard work, not when your in your twenties! I sacrificed to gain, even at times unpaid work. Life is for the earning and taking not being GIVEN.

I get that....but nursing students in England do night shifts unpaid, and pay £9k a year in fees, and have to pay to live, so start work with £40k of debt. If they do really well, they might earn maybe £30k pa after 10 years. What are they being GIVEN exactly ?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I get that....but nursing students in England do night shifts unpaid, and pay £9k a year in fees, and have to pay to live, so start work with £40k of debt. If they do really well, they might earn maybe £30k pa after 10 years. What are they being GIVEN exactly ?

A medical education.

If they fail to get to a satisfactory grade they don't have to pay back anything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A medical education.

If they fail to get to a satisfactory grade they don't have to pay back anything.

But why give nursing students a debt in the first place? They work on wards etc for much of their intense vocational training (a different world from those undergraduates with vast holidays and occupation of the student union bar), heading towards an invariably very modestly paid profession.

Certainly not the meal ticket to other decent to high paid professions, gained from many other degrees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here