Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert and depression

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Oh and not to forget that up the road we have a multi millionaire complaining that he wasn't gifted a car and other massively important grievances to his ego. His life was "hell" apparently. Wow.

Could there ever be a more clear example of the difference between Brighton and Palace?

Death, divorce, depression, coming through it and being honest.

"They didn't give me a car, that means they were nasty! That's why I was shit! It's NOT FAIR!!!!!! Waaaahhh!"

I'd say that the timing was particularly ironic but this shit happens on a weekly basis.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
1 in 3 people during their lifetimes. It’s not unexpected. In fact I along with plenty of other fans suspected he had, it was a highly probable reaction to his bereavement, naturally. If speaking about openly helps him then that’s positive. But I wonder if he’s, in todays climate, felt obliged to, almost pressured. It’s isn’t everyone’s choice to after all and that’s ok too. We should respect those people also, especially when we’ve seemingly gone from one extreme to the other in the blink of an eye: taboo to tweet.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Get a flipping grip. Depression is a serious illness. Having a shit game isn't. What would be MASSIVELY dangerous to the progress in this area over the last few years is to start to assume someone might have depression because they have a bad day at work, or even worse to allow that to become the latest 'acceptable' reason of having a bad day at work because it will then get abused and dilute from people with real problems.

There’s a fair point here, mental illness is and never has been a short period of anxiety, stress or ‘the blues’ and unquestionably in my view there are some who, perhaps due to their, let’s say, desire to always be in the public eye and who can’t wait to talk about at every opportunity in an almost trendy way, are more the former. When this happens it’s enormously damaging because as you allude, people may become indifferent to those who are or even don’t know they’re seriously ill; and require help.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I did not like the lad one bit as a personality but have to say fair play to him a lot of the anger makes sense now.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’m so sorry he’s had to go through this but brilliant that Knocky has had the guts to speak out on it. It is never going to be easy in such a macho environment. I love that man and got quite emotional reading about his struggles, just wanted to give him a hug.

Also, we didn’t need it but yet further evidence of what magnificent human beings Hughton and Bruno are. We are so lucky to have them at our special club.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I did not like the lad one bit as a personality but have to say fair play to him a lot of the anger makes sense now.

The red mist last season, especially at Everton, clearly alluded to... something.

But now that he's spoken openly, presumably with professional guidance and approval, hopefully it's ongoing part of a healing process which will make him stronger, and help him deal with those issues.

The support network at the Albion does appear to be astonishingly good.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I had it a fair few years ago now. Didn’t know I had it but my doctor said I did and gave me “Happy pills”. I wasn’t going to post on here but as none of you know me it seems easier.
I have since met other people who had it and it was so easy to say,”It’s OK. You will get through this. I did. I hope I helped.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I can't help thinking of Kazenga Lualua. His displays for QPR looked well out of touch, more than just poor form?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The red mist last season, especially at Everton, clearly alluded to... something.

But now that he's spoken openly, presumably with professional guidance and approval, hopefully it's ongoing part of a healing process which will make him stronger, and help him deal with those issues.

The support network at the Albion does appear to be astonishingly good.

I’d argue it’s increasingly normal. Of course plenty of callous employers out there but equally many just like the Albion who, naturally, you never hear about but really look after staff for very long periods of illness. Guy in my team a couple of employers ago was off for nearly 2 years. Put everyone’s company healthcare policy prices up mind...! ;)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I can't help thinking of Kazenga Lualua. His displays for QPR looked well out of touch, more than just poor form?

Think Kaz just followed the well trodden typical pacey wingers path

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And there I was reading that he was just stroppy and self-centred.

I think you'd get more from listening to Owen talk about how he was after he knackered his hamstring. Due to injuries, I don't think Kaz is capable of what he used to be able to do.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It takes a very brave person to admit to having depression.
It's a silent illness that nobody can understand, only the person who has it does,
Hats off to Knocky, and the club for supporting him, at this time.
There's also a blue n white army right behind him :albion2:

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
What game was it last season where AK was seen driving away before the kick off ? Huddersfield ?

Seems to make a lot more sense now and well done to CH for keeping private.

Hope he gets a massive cheer when the line ups get announced on Saturday

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
What game was it last season where AK was seen driving away before the kick off ? Huddersfield ?

Seems to make a lot more sense now and well done to CH for keeping private.

Hope he gets a massive cheer when the line ups get announced on Saturday

Chelsea ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can we PLEASE do some kind of fan display to show we support him and others going through depression?

Maybe pull in a depression related charity.

Oh GOD no. What do you mean...unfurling depression banners ?? Honestly, just give the guy the normal support from the stands, the normal chants. We're not a "depression support group" or the Samaritans - we're just fans of BHAFC, there to support the team and the players at a football match. Knocky will get all the help he needs from his team mates, his manager and his counsellor. The best we can do is cheer him on from the stands - not because of his struggles with depression, but because he's one of our best players. Thats all he needs from the fans.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Can we PLEASE do some kind of fan display to show we support him and others going through depression?

Maybe pull in a depression related charity.

Honestly love the guy, first player for me since I was a young that’d I’d get on my shirt. And I haven’t done that for years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Utter cringe. All this super BHA FANS IS NAUSEATING
Oh GOD no. What do you mean...unfurling depression banners ?? Honestly, just give the guy the normal support from the stands, the normal chants. We're not a "depression support group" or the Samaritans - we're just fans of BHAFC, there to support the team and the players at a football match. Knocky will get all the help he needs from his team mates, his manager and his counsellor. The best we can do is cheer him on from the stands - not because of his struggles with depression, but because he's one of our best players. Thats all he needs from the fans.
This with bells on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow, huge kudos, as you said. Just goes to show - it's so easy as a fan to slate footballers/sports people when they're not performing well on the pitch, but we don't know anything about what's going on in their lives/behind the scenes. Timely reminder with all the slating of a certain striker this week, I think .

Other than those of us who repeatedly said after AK's extended shows of grief since his Dad's passing 'the club need to get him to a counsellor asap'.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Get a flipping grip. Depression is a serious illness. Having a shit game isn't. What would be MASSIVELY dangerous to the progress in this area over the last few years is to start to assume someone might have depression because they have a bad day at work, or even worse to allow that to become the latest 'acceptable' reason of having a bad day at work because it will then get abused and dilute from people with real problems.

Shame the thumbs down option no longer exists. You completely misread the intent of the previous post, fortunately others didn’t.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here