Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion were so close to landing Vydra [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
ALBION came within a whisker of adding Matej Vydra to their pool of strikers at the end of the transfer window.
They held talks with the Czech livewire and his representative and impressed them both before Reading landed Vydra on loan for the rest of the season in a lucrative deal for his parent club Watford.
The Argus confirmed Albion’s interest in Vydra during the final days of the transfer window last month.
Vydra’s agent, Ondrej Chovcnec, has now revealed how near the ambitious Seagulls came to signing the 23-year-old, who helped Watford to promotion from the Championship last season with 16 goals in 41 games.
Chovcnec, speaking exclusively to The Argus, said: “I visited Brighton before the window closed. I met Paul Winstanley (head of recruitment). We had a very nice discussion, a very good discussion.
“I was very surprised by the facilities and had a very good impression from what I saw there and from the meeting as well.
“I spoke also with the manager. He explained everything. He was a very kind man and I had a very good impression.
“He (Vydra) knew about the interest. He also had discussions with the manager. He was impressed.
“They were very close with Reading and one other club. Finally Watford found agreement with Reading.
“Watford pushed all three clubs to pay as much as they could. To pay more than £2 million, 2.5 with bonuses, in my eyes is too much.
“I don’t know what Brighton’s final proposal was. I had a feeling from Watford’s point of view they were not favourites to make a deal, because they didn’t offer the highest loan fee.”
Albion had pursued Argentinian Jonathan Calleri from Boca Juniors and bought Elvis Manu from Feyenoord as they stepped up their interest in Vydra.
Chris Hughton’s trailblazers have won both matches since the window shut to pull five points at the top of the Championship, with five-goal Tomer Hemed joint top scorer in the division.
Chovcnec added: “Brighton are scoring, they are winning, they are getting points, they don’t need any other strikers.
"I told Paul also during our discussion why do you need another striker?
"You already have Bobby Zamora and other main strikers. I don’t want my player on the bench!"

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
ALBION came within a whisker of adding Matej Vydra to their pool of strikers at the end of the transfer window.
They held talks with the Czech livewire and his representative and impressed them both before Reading landed Vydra on loan for the rest of the season in a lucrative deal for his parent club Watford.
The Argus confirmed Albion’s interest in Vydra during the final days of the transfer window last month.
Vydra’s agent, Ondrej Chovcnec, has now revealed how near the ambitious Seagulls came to signing the 23-year-old, who helped Watford to promotion from the Championship last season with 16 goals in 41 games.
Chovcnec, speaking exclusively to The Argus, said: “I visited Brighton before the window closed. I met Paul Winstanley (head of recruitment). We had a very nice discussion, a very good discussion.
“I was very surprised by the facilities and had a very good impression from what I saw there and from the meeting as well.
“I spoke also with the manager. He explained everything. He was a very kind man and I had a very good impression.
“He (Vydra) knew about the interest. He also had discussions with the manager. He was impressed.
“They were very close with Reading and one other club. Finally Watford found agreement with Reading.
“Watford pushed all three clubs to pay as much as they could. To pay more than £2 million, 2.5 with bonuses, in my eyes is too much.
“I don’t know what Brighton’s final proposal was. I had a feeling from Watford’s point of view they were not favourites to make a deal, because they didn’t offer the highest loan fee.”
Albion had pursued Argentinian Jonathan Calleri from Boca Juniors and bought Elvis Manu from Feyenoord as they stepped up their interest in Vydra.
Chris Hughton’s trailblazers have won both matches since the window shut to pull five points at the top of the Championship, with five-goal Tomer Hemed joint top scorer in the division.
Chovcnec added: “Brighton are scoring, they are winning, they are getting points, they don’t need any other strikers.
"I told Paul also during our discussion why do you need another striker?
"You already have Bobby Zamora and other main strikers. I don’t want my player on the bench!"

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Suprised and a lttle shocked. If we could have afforded Vydra we could have afforded Mike Williamson. Although the dosh would have been paid out in wages and I don't really go for players being on substantially more wages than their team mates if they are not that much better players.

When seeing Vydra I did not take the view that was a player we shoud get, but that we needed a new central defender that was not shown up for pace. El Abd at the time.

PS: who is the quickest and best player: Vydra, Callum Wilson or Vardy? (I've not seen enough of all three to say for certain.) Or Benik Afobe ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here