Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10,000 dogs and puppies to be eaten on Sunday in China

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
As someone who shares a similar opinion to [MENTION=29908]gregbrighton[/MENTION], I'll try and articulate it from my point of view.

As irrational as it might seem to advocate eating some animals but not others, for me it comes down to the domesticated nature of cats and dogs (and indeed any other animals kept as pets). These animals very much become part of the family, and therefore to see the same breeds being treated in a barbaric way in a different country can be quite upsetting. It might not be a totally rational train of thought to have, but that's how I feel.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whether it is logical or not ANYONE that eats a Dog is a complete and utter Bstard in my book. Dogs and Human's have a very special bond going back Centuries and as such are a unique and special case in my book. Eating them and the awful way they are treated and then making them suffer alive to make the taste better is the makings of a very fcked up mind IMO and if I personally saw anyone doing this I would kill them. That is all

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Whether it is logical or not ANYONE that eats a Dog is a complete and utter Bstard in my book. Dogs and Human's have a very special bond going back Centuries and as such are a unique and special case in my book. Eating them and the awful way they are treated and then making them suffer alive to make the taste better is the makings of a very fcked up mind IMO and if I personally saw anyone doing this I would kill them. That is all

A big fat THIS.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What about RABBITS? People eat them AND keep them as pets.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008

And if it was cats being subjected to this hideous treatment?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
As someone who shares a similar opinion to [MENTION=29908]gregbrighton[/MENTION], I'll try and articulate it from my point of view.

As irrational as it might seem to advocate eating some animals but not others, for me it comes down to the domesticated nature of cats and dogs (and indeed any other animals kept as pets). These animals very much become part of the family, and therefore to see the same breeds being treated in a barbaric way in a different country can be quite upsetting. It might not be a totally rational train of thought to have, but that's how I feel.

But cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, chickens, ducks, geese, pigeons etc. are all also domesticated species yet we happily kill and eat them without a thought here in the Western world.

Agree with the comments regarding poor animal welfare, humane killing etc but then I think that of all animals we eat. Cruelty should be eliminated from the food chain irrespective of the species being killed and eaten.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
As someone who shares a similar opinion to @gregbrighton, I'll try and articulate it from my point of view.

I have four garden hens (Pekin bantams)... they are basically pets... and fairly regularly they lay nice small eggs.

I wouldn't eat them (and now they would be a bit on the tough side!) but am quite happy to buy, prepare, cook and eat chicken in assorted forms from a supermarket or restaurant.

It is the 'pet' bit that is 'wrong' for me.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

You say that as if EVERYONE has this apparent special bond with dogs, which of course is complete nonsense. I can't stand dogs, so my opinion of them is VERY different to yours.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
But cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, chickens, ducks, geese, pigeons etc. are all also domesticated species yet we happily kill and eat them without a thought here in the Western world.

Agree with the comments regarding poor animal welfare, humane killing etc but then I think that of all animals we eat. Cruelty should be eliminated from the food chain irrespective of the species being killed and eaten.

and in other countries... horse, ostrich, crocodile, kangaroo etc...

all of which are delicious :drool:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

I'd argue that, generally speaking, dogs and cats are far more domesticated than some of the other animals that you've listed - particularly in this country. As it is, I acknowledge that my viewpoint might not be shared by everyone or indeed anyone else, but it's one than I'm not budging from.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

You've written off the entire Korean nation there, so you're clearly talking nonsense. This "special bond" you speak of is completely subjective. Not me, but plenty of human beings have little regard for dogs, especially the dogs that have for example, attacked their kids.

I do have respect for the view that all animals should be treated with respect even if they are only being bred for food, just give over telling us that we shouldn't eat dogs just because they're dogs.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
You say that as if EVERYONE has this apparent special bond with dogs, which of course is complete nonsense. I can't stand dogs, so my opinion of them is VERY different to yours.

And that's FINE. I respect your right to not like dogs. If you wanted to EAT or KILL one though, we might have a different conversation.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Eat away then. It is MY opinion and one I do not feel a need to justify any further

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You've written off the entire Korean nation there, so you're clearly talking nonsense. This "special bond" you speak of is completely subjective. Not me, but plenty of human beings have little regard for dogs, especially the dogs that have for example, attacked their kids.

I do have respect for the view that all animals should be treated with respect even if they are only being bred for food, just give over telling us that we shouldn't eat dogs just because they're dogs.

I will never agree with the thrust of this thread so best to just agree to disagree

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Ah there we have it in a nutshell. Dog people remind me of religious zealots. Literally refusing to see the other guy's perfectly reasonable and equally subjective point of view.

and, along with loonie lefties, they assume they are occupying some sort of moral high ground.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

There is a particular amount of emotion around the treatment of dogs because of the function that they play in our society. Aside from being loyal pets and an important part of many families, there are working dogs, guide dogs and sniffer dogs etc. In essence, culturally, dogs play a role on our society that many other animals do not.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ah there we have it in a nutshell. Dog people remind me of religious zealots. Literally refusing to see the other guy's perfectly reasonable and equally subjective point of view.

I have stated my position with Good grace

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here