Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Well Done Toby Carvery

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Do a job, but I wouldn't put them in the same sentence as doctors or nurses.
If you are going to include bin men you may as well list hundreds of jobs.

I’d include everyone except recruitment “consultants”, estate agents, and management consultants. Oh, and premier league footballers.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The health service, police, ambulance and fire services have their own discount card, Blue Light card, which gives similar discount to the Defence Discount card. All they have to do is apply.

https://www.bluelightcard.co.uk/newuser.php

Who's eligible?

You qualify for a Blue Light Card if you're a paid employee within the below services:
NHS
Police Service
Ambulance Service
Fire Service
HM Prison Service/HMPPS
NHS Dental Practice
HM Armed Forces
MoD Civil Servant
MoD Fire Service
MoD Police
Highways Agency
Border Force
Immigration Enforcement
UK Visas and Immigration
HM Coastguard
RNLI
Search and Rescue
4x4 Response
Blood Bikes
First Responders
St Andrews Ambulance
St John Ambulance

You're also eligible if you're a volunteer for the HM Coastguard, RNLI, Search and Rescue, 4x4 Response, Blood Bikes, First Responders, St Andrews Ambulance or St John Ambulance.

Thanks for this - The wife is a Nurse and had never heard of it. I will get her signed up

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yep, although I do not begrudge those who serve in the armed forces the respect they deserve.

Why can't we have a nurses or firefighters day as well ? That would be more of a problem politically for the government.

My issue with Armed Forces Day is not the honouring of forces personnel and their service. That's a good thing. My issue is that somehow it tries to get us to fall into line ourselves and not just celebrate them but government policy in their deployment.

I am not offended by troops marching through my town, however I will always challenge the government's reasoning behind it. For me our forces are becoming political pawns. That is not why we choose to appreciate them.

Unfortunately, our armed forces have always been political pawns, from being deployed in unpopular wars, to being used for strike breaking.
Unlike nurses, firemen, and even the police, our forces have no trade union, and are specifically banned from joining one, or political parties. Hence, they are at the mercy of whichever hue of Government currently in powers, whether that is Tory cuts, or Labours antipathy to huge defence budgets.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Unfortunately, our armed forces have always been political pawns, from being deployed in unpopular wars, to being used for strike breaking.
Unlike nurses, firemen, and even the police, our forces have no trade union, and are specifically banned from joining one, or political parties. Hence, they are at the mercy of whichever hue of Government currently in powers, whether that is Tory cuts, or Labours antipathy to huge defence budgets.

That I didn't know. Blimey.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair, and in due deference to [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION], Douglas Adams wrote it just a tad better...

A work of true comic genius, imo.

Indeed. The first two books are pure class. The TV series was slightly let down a bit by the cheesey performances of Wing-Davey (who) and Dr Who's wife, and the fact they ran out of money and condensed down the latter parts to the consistency of Carnation Milk. But when I was living in Canada (82 to 86) the sense of yearning for home I had, watching the reruns on the better Seattle cable channel, was palpable. All the jokes that Canadians could and will never get....'its a bit like being drunk' 'And what's so bad about that?' 'Ask a glass of water'. Brilliant. :bowdown::thumbsup: And the Louis Armstrong at the end still has me blubbing, just thinking about it. Ah well. Not for everyone, I guess.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
That I didn't know. Blimey.

Technically, even trying to organise a Forces union could be construed as mutiny, a capital offence until fairly recently,.

The Government is meant to look after the welfare, etc, of forces personnel, in a casual arrangement called The Military Covenant, an unwritten, unenforcable, series of vague promises that the best interests of servicemen would be served as far as circumstances alow. It doesn't always work, many would say, it rarely works in favour of the troops, the Falklands War injured at the time, and those suffering mental health problems afterwards, would certainly attest to this.
A friend of mune, severly injured on HMS Sheffield was offered a £15 a week pension for the loss of an arm, burns, stomach problems, and subsequent mental health problems.
The Falklands Fund, although literally a life saver, should never have been necessary as the Government of the day, should have adequately provided for the injured.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Indeed. The first two books are pure class. The TV series was slightly let down a bit by the cheesey performances of Wing-Davey (who) and Dr Who's wife, and the fact they ran out of money and condensed down the latter parts to the consistency of Carnation Milk. But when I was living in Canada (82 to 86) the sense of yearning for home I had, watching the reruns on the better Seattle cable channel, was palpable. All the jokes that Canadians could and will never get....'its a bit like being drunk' 'And what's so bad about that?' 'Ask a glass of water'. Brilliant. :bowdown::thumbsup: And the Louis Armstrong at the end still has me blubbing, just thinking about it. Ah well. Not for everyone, I guess.

While I am gutted that I failed to get any of my kids (I won’t say how many there are - you never know who’s reading this) to become STH, it provides not inconsiderable pleasure to know that they are all Douglas Adams fans. It was one of the days of our lives when we visited his grave, read the first few chapters of the first book out loud and laid a towel upon his headstone. The sense of bonding was palpable.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
While I am gutted that I failed to get any of my kids (I won’t say how many there are - you never know who’s reading this) to become STH, it provides not inconsiderable pleasure to know that they are all Douglas Adams fans. It was one of the days of our lives when we visited his grave, read the first few chapters of the first book out loud and laid a towel upon his headstone. The sense of bonding was palpable.

:bowdown: <scenes> Mrs Tackle is also a big fan. I shall read your post to her later. Right now I seem to have a little dust in my eye....

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The health service, police, ambulance and fire services have their own discount card, Blue Light card, which gives similar discount to the Defence Discount card. All they have to do is apply.

https://www.bluelightcard.co.uk/newuser.php

Who's eligible?

You qualify for a Blue Light Card if you're a paid employee within the below services:
NHS
Police Service
Ambulance Service
Fire Service
HM Prison Service/HMPPS
NHS Dental Practice
HM Armed Forces
MoD Civil Servant
MoD Fire Service
MoD Police
Highways Agency
Border Force
Immigration Enforcement
UK Visas and Immigration
HM Coastguard
RNLI
Search and Rescue
4x4 Response
Blood Bikes
First Responders
St Andrews Ambulance
St John Ambulance

You're also eligible if you're a volunteer for the HM Coastguard, RNLI, Search and Rescue, 4x4 Response, Blood Bikes, First Responders, St Andrews Ambulance or St John Ambulance.
Thanks for highlighting this.

I'm eligible and, until this post, had no idea that such a thing even existed.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I can't think why this service isn't offered to ex Nurses, Doctors, bin men, people who look after our sewers etc?? All essential services that aren't always either safe or pleasant. Because it's not either politically expedient or commercially attractive to do so, that's why. I'd rather they invested in ex forces or anyone else not having to live on the street, but they wouldn't make money from that would they.

Youre too spineless to say what.you really feel arent you :tosser:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Some proper food snobs in this thread it's embarrassing. There's nothing wrong with the carvery. It's excellent value at £7 especially if you take the whole family out.
I eat here quite a lot and I'm happy with it.
Well done to Tobys

Yea this, and go large for an extra quid or so.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Yea this, and go large for an extra quid or so.

I’m
Not saying it’s not cheap it is but the quality of the food is in line with the price ! But if you like it then fill your boots - and be happy . Fatty tasteless beef , over cooked veg and oily roast potatoes- not for me

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I’m
Not saying it’s not cheap it is but the quality of the food is in line with the price ! But if you like it then fill your boots - and be happy . Fatty tasteless beef , over cooked veg and oily roast potatoes- not for me

Beefs OK, veg is pretty standard and potatoes are far from greasy. The basic cost of ingredients is bound to be under a couple of quid so like spoons they are relying on turnover. It is far from low end, I would say above average having experienced far worse.

Each to their own.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Their release says "to celebrate the bravery of these heroes" … I do have a problem with the use of the word hero for every member of the armed forces. The heroes surely are the ones who have done something heroic. Merely joining the forces cannot immediately make you a hero. To label all the armed forces personnel as heroes is to misuse the term.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Their release says "to celebrate the bravery of these heroes" … I do have a problem with the use of the word hero for every member of the armed forces. The heroes surely are the ones who have done something heroic. Merely joining the forces cannot immediately make you a hero. To label all the armed forces personnel as heroes is to misuse the term.

You never learn do you ? Didnt you get a slap at withdean for loudly voicing this opinion ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here