Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Keep him, but only as bench player and not captain

Votes: 117 63.6%
  • Get rid

Votes: 47 25.5%

• Total voters

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think he is done, great servant but he needs to be replaced if we want to get anywhere. For one, he seems to have lost the ability to pass the ball in a straight line and either passes it back or passes it to a player who has no realistic chances of holding on to it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Although I agree on your priorities I do have a problem with the 9th best defense figures that keep getting trotted out, this was not because we have a good defense but because we defended as a team with 8-9 players behind the ball at all times and therefore the midfielders main priorty has been to protect the back four which has severely damaged our ability to attack as a team.

If we had a better defense then the midfield would be able to play a more balanced game and forgive me for living in a fantasy world but might actually allow us to score a goal. Without a new LB, RB and CB I think we will still struggle to score many next season we really do need changes throughout the team and that includes Gordon Greer.

I don't think that is entirely true. Away from home maybe (I only did Charlton this year) but at home, we've had a lot of possession, and gone toe to toe with some good sides (Bournemouth and Watford for example) and been the more attacking side - only we don't create enough clear cut chances, or convert what we do create. Can't agree with you that our defensive record is only good because we get so many bodies behind the ball, I don't think stats bare this out either.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
drop to the bench buy halford and make stockdale captian

Nooooooooo!, have you been on the funny fags?, Stockdale captain? If we are serious about a promotion push again next season, we will have to do far better than that.

The jury is still very much out as to whether he is a good goalkeeper, let alone a captain. Halford in my opinion is also only a squad player and not a regular starter, should we decide to sign him of course.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Seeing as he's under contract, and I doubt we'd get any sort of a fee for him, keep him as 4th choice.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
If TB wants Hughton to put a team together to seriously challenge for promotion next season, then I fear it's time to let GG go. Time has caught up with him and he isn't good enough to marshall a Championship top 6 defence anymore. Been a good player for the club, but we now need better. I'd make Kayal 1st Team Captain.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Still has a lot to offer but doesn't seem to be able to last a full season. Therefore, bench him and keep him as club captain with Kayal taking over as on field skipper.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If TB wants Hughton to put a team together to seriously challenge for promotion next season, then I fear it's time to let GG go. Time has caught up with him and he isn't good enough to marshall a Championship top 6 defence anymore. Been a good player for the club, but we now need better. I'd make Kayal 1st Team Captain.

If TB wants to get in the top 6 next season, he's got a lot more than Gordon Greer to worry about! :lolol:

Don't disagree with Kayal as captain, but he needs to get fitter - he is superb for 60mins but he does fade regularly.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Not got a lot of choice have we?

There were still only 8 sides in the entire league with a better defensive record than us.

We need to spend money on a left back, a winger and a centre forward as priorities.

He makes a few mistakes does Gordon, his distribution is a bit agricultural, but he is tough as nails, he marshals our defence (I don't think Dunk or Bennett speak during games!), and dare I say it, he does read the game well generally.

Still captain and in the starting XI for me.

Agricultural ? - competely the opposite - its because he tries hard not to hoof it that sometimes, as with Bruno, and in the past Gary Dicker he gets unfairly criticised, in my view, for trying passes which dont always come off. I dont think hes the greatest ball playing centre back in the universe, however, and Im sure there are better out there, but he`s always been prone to the odd mistake and I cant say (as with Bruno and Calde as well) that he is any slower - he never was particularly quick to start with.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
John Terry is still going strong at 34 but Greer will be too old to play in the Prem by the time we get there. We need to assemble a squad who will be peaking together in our promotion season, so whilst he may have another season in him, we may be better off working on forming a new long term younger CB partnership similar to what Bournemouth have done with Cook and Elphick.

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
Nooooooooo!, have you been on the funny fags?, Stockdale captain? If we are serious about a promotion push again next season, we will have to do far better than that.

The jury is still very much out as to whether he is a good goalkeeper, let alone a captain. Halford in my opinion is also only a squad player and not a regular starter, should we decide to sign him of course.

in regards to halford i think ur right about him as a squad player if we buy a new CB.
but then id still pick him ahead of greer. his passing is better as is his hold up play.

stockdale gets far to much stick for me. if he was good enough for england he is good enough for us. yes he has made mistakes this season but also some outstanding saves,of all of our transfers in this season he is second only to kayal.

he plays with passion,he is vocal and is often seen giving greer(amongst others) a mouthful for their mistakes.

in my opinion there are only two other candidates for the capiancy kayal (great player works hard and shows leadership) and calde.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
If TB wants to get in the top 6 next season, he's got a lot more than Gordon Greer to worry about! :lolol:

Don't disagree with Kayal as captain, but he needs to get fitter - he is superb for 60mins but he does fade regularly.

Absolutely agree, hence Hughton needs to rebuild from the back to the front. Got a feeling about Kayal. Think he will be immense next season. Don't forget he hadn't played for a very long time before joining us.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Agree re GG, time to say thank you very much, but your time is up as captain and certain starter, As for Kayal, yes l agree he is an excellent player, (possibly the best we have at the club), but is he a captain?, he certainly wasn't captian at Celtic.

I thing a better option would be to try and bring a new player in from outside the club as our new captain, or failing that how about Andrew Crofts? who was Gus's captain in his 1st season at the club, (providing he recovers from his serious injury of course).

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As things stand at this moment, keep him in the starting XI, but not necessarily as captain. We do need to start looking for a replacement for him though. Not as big a priority as a striker, a left back and a proper winger (and maybe three quality players is all the budget will allow; more realistic than some people's notion that we're suddenly going to bring in 8 or 10 anyway!), but if we haven't replaced him by this time next year it will be a major priority by then.

That's pretty much where I was at this time last year.

One year on, I'm afraid it's time up and we need a replacement.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agricultural ? - competely the opposite - its because he tries hard not to hoof it that sometimes, as with Bruno, and in the past Gary Dicker he gets unfairly criticised, in my view, for trying passes which dont always come off. I dont think hes the greatest ball playing centre back in the universe, however, and Im sure there are better out there, but he`s always been prone to the odd mistake and I cant say (as with Bruno and Calde as well) that he is any slower - he never was particularly quick to start with.

When I say agricultural I mean lacking finesse and precision. He sometimes makes even simple passes look difficult. I was actually being mostly complimentary about him, and you've pretty much repeated everything else I've said. :shrug:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Best we have at the moment and far far better than halford. Wouldn't say no to more pace at the back, but there are bigger priorities in the summer.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Agree re GG, time to say thank you very much, but your time is up as captain and certain starter, As for Kayal, yes l agree he is an excellent player, (possibly the best we have at the club), but is he a captain?, he certainly wasn't captian at Celtic.

I thing a better option would be to try and bring a new player in from outside the club as our new captain, or failing that how about Andrew Crofts? who was Gus's captain in his 1st season at the club, (providing he recovers from his serious injury of course).

I'd love to see Crofts get back to the dizzy heights of when he was Captain under Gus, but I just can't see that happening now. If it wasn't for sh1t luck, he wouldn't have had any luck at all. Think Kayal has got the presence on the pitch compared to the rest of the current bunch. Of course, if we bring in a new Captain from elsewhere, then so be it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We've let Hughes go, personally I'd let Halford go too. I'd keep Greer as a bench player. It's key that we get a young, mobile centre back to play alongside Dunk, particularly as we've opted to keep the aged right-back pair of Bruno and Calde.

This is a fine line though. Age has caught up with Greer, I think he should have been a bench player in 2014/15, or at least shared the spot with Aaron Hughes. For whatever reason Hughes didn't get hardly any game time under each manager and, for me, Greer was overplayed as a result.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Would like to see Ince in the team and as midfield options are limited he should be put in his original CB position along side Dunk.
Greer is gone and his distribution woeful.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bench player only for GG. One more year. Kayal for captain, the player far mostly likely to take the side by the scruff of the neck and instil something approaching a genuine sense of team spirit, apart from maybe Crofts. Need genuine leaders out there now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here