Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] The Darkest Hour

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Same sentiments as all the above. If Oldman doesn't get an Oscar for this then I'll be astonished.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Anyone seen it as yet? I have booked a couple of tickets for this weekend at Horsham.

Hoping it is better than Dunkirk which I thought was poor due to all of its historical errors.

An excellent film. Gary Okdman superb.

But you may not like it if you area stickler for historical accuracy.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
An excellent film. Gary Okdman superb.

But you may not like it if you area stickler for historical accuracy.

If you are making a historical film perhaps you should aim for accuracy? I believe there is a (totally made up) scene in the Tube which is cringeworthy...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you are making a historical film perhaps you should aim for accuracy? I believe there is a (totally made up) scene in the Tube which is cringeworthy...

I enjoyed the scene in the tube, and presumed it was a fabrication.

The review origin the Guardian described it as a "high octane political thriller".

And to be fair my wife is a historian and thought a lot if the characters were portrayed very believably, like for example George VI.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

That scene was clearly an artistic moment to make a point. It was wholely in line with the film

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
That scene was clearly an artistic moment to make a point. It was wholely in line with the film

Absolutely. The Director/Script writer had to find a way to tie in Churchill's swaying away from the negotiated peace muted by Halifax and Chamberlain and this was the easiest way to convey it for the audience. It also helped to break the tension of the War Cabinet Rooms that was superbly built up and then lead him down the path to his addressing the Outer Cabinet. I can forgive the cringe worthiness of the scene, it kinda worked as a bridge screen.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Yes, really. Oldman gives a great performance, thats beyond question. But he is not surrounded by a great film. The supporting cast is so-so, and I found the scope of the film too narrowly focused purely on him, and not the narrative of the war and the results of the life-and-death decisions he was making. In that respect, it was rather dry.

That scene jarred. It was all very fanciful and twee, and felt completely contrived. Churchill was a stubborn, belligerent man and politician, he didn't need fictional pep-talks from "Joe Public" on the underground to tell him what he should do. It was a true eye-roller for me.

That said, I did enjoy it for the most part. But a masterpiece it most certainly is not.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Yes, really. Oldman gives a great performance, thats beyond question. But he is not surrounded by a great film. The supporting cast is so-so, and I found the scope of the film too narrowly focused purely on him, and not the narrative of the war and the results of the life-and-death decisions he was making. In that respect, it was rather dry.

That scene jarred. It was all very fanciful and twee, and felt completely contrived. Churchill was a stubborn, belligerent man and politician, he didn't need fictional pep-talks from "Joe Public" on the underground to tell him what he should do. It was a true eye-roller for me.

That said, I did enjoy it for the most part. But a masterpiece it most certainly is not.

Exactly my thoughts. Decent film. Very good performance from Oldman. Ridiculous tube scene. Wouldn't make my top 100 films but overall enjoyed it.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I thought it was superb. Took my 14 year old as well who really enjoyed it too (hes into WW2 history anyway, so it wasn't difficult to get him along to it)
Disappointing to see that we were easily the youngest ones, in a full screen, watching it though. Im 43 and there wasn't another person (or hair colour other than silver) under 60 I reckon. Guess the younger generation generally arent interested, or know, about the most pivotal time in the worlds history :eek:(

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
IMO it was very good - al lot better than the other Churchill film which was out last year I think.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I thought it was superb. Took my 14 year old as well who really enjoyed it too (hes into WW2 history anyway, so it wasn't difficult to get him along to it)
Disappointing to see that we were easily the youngest ones, in a full screen, watching it though. Im 43 and there wasn't another person (or hair colour other than silver) under 60 I reckon. Guess the younger generation generally arent interested, or know, about the most pivotal time in the worlds history :eek:(

Odd.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I didn't rate it at all. I found it pretty dull. The story is very one dimensional and missed all the charm of The Kings Speech.
It had massive plot points vocalised like when Chamberlain explains how he has only 6 months to live. The tube scene is ridiculous.
Oldman is very good but I didn't find it cinematic at all. If I found it on tv on a Sunday night I would enjoy it but I really don't get all the hype?
I think a lot of it is down to jingoism. Not all critics have loved it so I'm not alone in this viewpoint

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here