Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans United - 20 Years On...

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
20170208_223956.jpg some how I managed to keep this in one piece and get it home nevrr forget that day great result and PC Beard got hit by the ball which knockef his hat off lol

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
20 years on from Fans United, Brighton are fighting it out for promotion to the Premier League, we have a stadium way beyond our wildest dreams and our Chairman is the away end at Brentford.

That's how far we've come together.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was barely 7 years old. I had no idea what was at stake back then. Terrifying to think that if it wasn't for all those who went that day and pushed so hard and fought so long I wouldn't have had the rollercoaster of supporting BHA in my life these past 20 odd years. After reading Build a Bonfire and reading the stuff on here over the years I think I can speak for all the '90s kidz' and younger that we're truly grateful for everything everyone did.

Quick edit - Just because we were born too young to get involved in those days it doesn't mean we are any less of a fan, that line of thought it pathetic. Now, onto the promised land, TOGETHER.

Ahh, thanks mate. That's a nice thing to say. Good on yer. Not for no reason did we call those the war years. Prime of my life but left each match feeling exhausted that season, football was often secondary. Anger. Never felt before or since. Imagine someone telling you no more football at the Amex in a couple months time because some wealthy foreigner wants to put a warehouse on it and pocket a tidy few million after investing little more than you do for one match? All your traditions, the memories etc are irrelevant. And you're supposed to take it lying down. Well, f uck that Bill Archer, we're coming for you and no mistake. You've messed with the wrong family and are going to regret it. Let me introduce you to Attila. Ow and this is Liz, Paul, Sarah etc. They're going to make your life a misery. Not forgotting this chap, Dick. He's really not going to take any sh it from you. Ow, and that angry mob of several thousand behind them? They're coming up to see you in your home in Lancs. So yes, be afraid. Be very afraid!!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
With under 10k there and every other one seems to be someones mate who supports another club means only around 5,000 bha fans were there but ask around the amex and this figure goes up to 20,000:facepalm It was known at the time that the Real Madrid were just locals but it made a good story:thumbsup:

If you were there you'd know the attendance was considerably higher because loads of us got in without paying when someone mysteriously let a gate open into the North...:) Anyway, I was there along with thousands of others and I'm in some of the media clippings toboot! If the cup final was our greatest day out, then this was our greatest day 'in' I'd say. Glory doesn't say the half of it!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If you were there you'd know the attendance was considerably higher because loads of us got in without paying when someone mysteriously let a gate open into the North...:) Anyway, I was there along with thousands of others and I'm in some of the media clippings toboot! If the cup final was our greatest day out, then this was our greatest day 'in' I'd say. Glory doesn't say the half of it!

Ignore the rev. He's just plain weirdly bitter that other people share the good (bad) old days, and that they are not exclusively his domain.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I've got 2 children under the age of 20 who, obviously, weren't born at the time of Fans United. One of them is a massive Albion fan, beside himself with excitement at the thought of us being promoted this season.

Some people would say that makes him somehow less of a fan, because he wasn't born at the time of the Fans United game,

What a load of old shit.

Anyone who spouts all this 'you're not a true fan if you weren't there back in the day' is, quite frankly, an idiot.

On that basis, we are all crap fans because we didn't go to the Charity Shield match in 1910.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I had no affiliation with brighton during those dark days and when i did see clips of Brighton on the telly it was always in a bad way , well that's how it looked to me the outsider , the Bournemouth away fixture only confirmed what i had thought about Brighton as a football club , (horrible club , horrible fans . ) a while later i came across a book , the cover intrigued me so i flicked through a few pages during my lunch break put it back on the shelf and wandered off back to work , a few days went by and i kept thinking about the book so went back to the charity shop and it was still there so i purchased it , i read it that very same evening and everything i had thought and been fed by the media was a total misinterpretation of the actual truth , the book , well i'm sure you would of guessed was Build a Bonfire , for those too young to have been there it surely is a must read for any Brighton and Hove Albion supporter , life is a funny old game , as many years later i happen to have met and settled down with a Brighton fan who forever reminds me of those dark days as if they were yesterday .

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Never seen that certificate before. Anyone got one in good condition which they could scan?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Those days give those of us old enough to remember a sense of humility. We are not entitled to premier league football. Our club really has risen like a phoenix. UTA.

This.
Championship football!
Our beautiful stadium!
And now a competitive squad and great manager.
More than enough for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here