Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF fundraiser involved in yesterday's air tragedy

Jimmy Grimble

I can't upload the picture directly from my phone so here's a Facebook link to a little tribute picture and message. Please share so it can be seen how special Jacob and Matt were x

Jimmy Grimble

Jimmy Grimble

Managed to get it onto a computer. Thank you for all the kind messages and support on here.

Just for a bit of background on Jacob. He was a season ticket holder for a few seasons at Withdean with a young group of us. We would often play football at Preston Park before heading to matches. There was 5/6 of our friendship group who used to sit at the very back of F block together. We also used to go to a fair few away games together, notably some funny trips to Yeovil (the first time we were 16 and were fed cider all day in a pub garden in the baking sun, I'll let you guess the outcome at the end of the day... The second time was a similar story, but a bigger group of us. Copious amounts of alcohol and a train journey home as 17 year olds singing our favourite songs alongside Albion songs in a carriage to ourselves) Wycombe, Crewe, Tranmere, Northampton, Southend, Sheffield Wednesday... I could go on and I've got stories about all of those days but I'll leave them for now. As we got older and Brighton moved to the Amex, Jacob went to study at Portsmouth university and often played football on Saturdays, particularly in more recent years when he was playing a high level of County football. Naturally this meant he couldn't make it to as many Albion games, but he had no need to prove his support for the Albion, and it was only right he spent his Saturday's playing football because of the talent he had. As has been said, he also played for the REMF team a few times and was particularly pivotal in the 2009 success when he came on as a sub at 1-4 down, before his impact helped to make it 4-4 with the Albion then winning on penalties.

Below is the tribute posted on Facebook and some pictures of us and Snoobs.

It has been amazing to see how many lives Jacob and Matt touched and makes it all the more devastating that they are no longer with us.

Tonight the boys had a tough decision to make. We had our final game of the season in our 6aside league which would determine who won the league. Jacob, as anyone who played football with him will know, was our magician, our leader, our main man. The amount of times he won games for us doesn't bare thinking about. Knowing Jacob as the battling, competitive character he was, we felt as though our best way to honour him would be to play the game. I can speak on behalf of all of the boys and say that we have never been involved in such an emotional football match. It was incredibly tough turning up knowing that Jacob wouldn't be there and the match itself was almost unbearable at times. Fortunately we won the game and duly won the league title as well. I hope you were watching over us Snoobs. It was an absolute pleasure to have played football with you, but more importantly, a pleasure and an honour to call you our friend. You will be missed so so much. This one is yours.

The picture shows all the boys who turned up tonight to play, the memorial shirt for Jacob and Grimmy, a picture from 2009 when we first started playing 6aside together (Jacob is front row middle) and our winning team from two seasons ago (Jacob is furthest right).

Attachments

• 11222973_10153561883444028_423779024209740684_o.jpg
    11222973_10153561883444028_423779024209740684_o.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 514
  • 11894597_10153561883244028_3124197930986899016_o.jpg
    11894597_10153561883244028_3124197930986899016_o.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 506
  • 11879016_10153561883004028_8289550426589728557_o.jpg
    11879016_10153561883004028_8289550426589728557_o.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 505
  • 11888160_10153561882724028_8060464426423090732_o.jpg
    11888160_10153561882724028_8060464426423090732_o.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
FFS. More tears.

Feeling your loss.

I was captain of the Albion side in that 2009 REMF game. Jacob had been drafted in very late - from memory, we played a couple of warm-up games against cobbled together NSC sides. Snoobs (and conboy with his ludicrous headband) had played in one and he'd stood out that much, despite being only 16, that when a space came up on the bench, he was added in.

We were trailing 3-1 at half time, and there were some pretty harsh words in the dressing room - those playing their first REMF (myself included) were now aware that charity game or not, this is not a 'freindly'. Despite the rousing words, the start of the second half went no better - we conceded again, and two minutes in we lost Barrett in midfield to a broken collar-bone.

Early in the second half we made some changes - snoobs one of them. The lad had no fear - of the opposition, or of the occassion. The crowd of 600(?) or so was about 500 more than I'd played in front of - if it cowed some, it inspired others. Finally we had someone prepared to put their foot on the ball, take people on, pick a pass.

The rest as they say is history - flair and skill from a few, and reserves of desire and guts from us older chaps, saw the Albion claw it back - the equaliser arriving in the dying seconds. The five of us who stepped up for penalties, held our nerve, and the cup was back in its rightful place.

We went into town afterwards, for a long and messy celebration. Snoobs wasn't with us for that - he wasn't even old enough to get in anywhere. He won't have heard the long alcohol fuelled match-analysis, that he featured centrally in. Our ex-pros Peter Ward and Ricky Marlowe were very impressed with him.

The entire game was for some reason, professionally recorded, and DVDs produced. I don't know where my copy is, but if you or Jacob's family would like to have it [MENTION=9458]Jimmy Grimble[/MENTION] please let me know.

Cheers, Simon x

Last edited:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Managed to get it onto a computer. Thank you for all the kind messages and support on here.

Just for a bit of background on Jacob. He was a season ticket holder for a few seasons at Withdean with a young group of us. We would often play football at Preston Park before heading to matches. There was 5/6 of our friendship group who used to sit at the very back of F block together. We also used to go to a fair few away games together, notably some funny trips to Yeovil (the first time we were 16 and were fed cider all day in a pub garden in the baking sun, I'll let you guess the outcome at the end of the day... The second time was a similar story, but a bigger group of us. Copious amounts of alcohol and a train journey home as 17 year olds singing our favourite songs alongside Albion songs in a carriage to ourselves) Wycombe, Crewe, Tranmere, Northampton, Southend, Sheffield Wednesday... I could go on and I've got stories about all of those days but I'll leave them for now. As we got older and Brighton moved to the Amex, Jacob went to study at Portsmouth university and often played football on Saturdays, particularly in more recent years when he was playing a high level of County football. Naturally this meant he couldn't make it to as many Albion games, but he had no need to prove his support for the Albion, and it was only right he spent his Saturday's playing football because of the talent he had. As has been said, he also played for the REMF team a few times and was particularly pivotal in the 2009 success when he came on as a sub at 1-4 down, before his impact helped to make it 4-4 with the Albion then winning on penalties.

Below is the tribute posted on Facebook and some pictures of us and Snoobs.

It has been amazing to see how many lives Jacob and Matt touched and makes it all the more devastating that they are no longer with us.

Tonight the boys had a tough decision to make. We had our final game of the season in our 6aside league which would determine who won the league. Jacob, as anyone who played football with him will know, was our magician, our leader, our main man. The amount of times he won games for us doesn't bare thinking about. Knowing Jacob as the battling, competitive character he was, we felt as though our best way to honour him would be to play the game. I can speak on behalf of all of the boys and say that we have never been involved in such an emotional football match. It was incredibly tough turning up knowing that Jacob wouldn't be there and the match itself was almost unbearable at times. Fortunately we won the game and duly won the league title as well. I hope you were watching over us Snoobs. It was an absolute pleasure to have played football with you, but more importantly, a pleasure and an honour to call you our friend. You will be missed so so much. This one is yours.

The picture shows all the boys who turned up tonight to play, the memorial shirt for Jacob and Grimmy, a picture from 2009 when we first started playing 6aside together (Jacob is front row middle) and our winning team from two seasons ago (Jacob is furthest right).

Really nice tribute mate, plenty of memories flooding back from the days out you mentioned and the pictures. I've just watched the video of us on the way back from Yeovil in 2009, which wasn't easy at all - but it made me smile and think of all the good times we had together.

Last night was an incredibly hard evening for everyone involved, but it's just one of many tributes for our friend Snoobs.

Rest in peace mate, you'll never be forgotten.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really nice tribute mate, plenty of memories flooding back from the days out you mentioned and the pictures. I've just watched the video of us on the way back from Yeovil in 2009, which wasn't easy at all - but it made me smile and think of all the good times we had together.

Last night was an incredibly hard evening for everyone involved, but it's just one of many tributes for our friend Snoobs.

Rest in peace mate, you'll never be forgotten.

FFS. More tears.

Feeling your loss.

I was captain of the Albion side in that 2009 REMF game. Jacob had been drafted in very late - from memory, we played a couple of warm-up games against cobbled together NSC sides. Snoobs (and conboy with his ludicrous headband) had played in one and he'd stood out that much, despite being only 16, that when a space came up on the bench, he was added in.

We were trailing 3-1 at half time, and there were some pretty harsh words in the dressing room - those playing their first REMF (myself included) were now aware that charity game or not, this is not a 'freindly'. Despite the rousing words, the start of the second half went no better - we conceded again, and two minutes in we lost Barrett in midfield to a broken collar-bone.

Early in the second half we made some changes - snoobs one of them. The lad had no fear - of the opposition, or of the occassion. The crowd of 600(?) or so was about 500 more than I'd played in front of - if it cowed some, it inspired others. Finally we had someone prepared to put their foot on the ball, take people on, pick a pass.

The rest as they say is history - flair and skill from a few, and reserves of desire and guts from us older chaps, saw the Albion claw it back - the equaliser arriving in the dying seconds. The five of us who stepped up for penalties, held our nerve, and the cup was back in its rightful place.

We went into town afterwards, for a long and messy celebration. Snoobs wasn't with us for that - he wasn't even old enough to get in anywhere. He won't have heard the long alcohol fuelled match-analysis, that he featured centrally in. Our ex-pros Peter Ward and Ricky Marlowe were very impressed with him.

The entire game was for some reason, professionally recorded, and DVDs produced. I don't know where my copy is, but if you or Jacob's family would like to have it [MENTION=9458]Jimmy Grimble[/MENTION] please let me know.

Cheers, Simon x

I can't upload the picture directly from my phone so here's a Facebook link to a little tribute picture and message. Please share so it can be seen how special Jacob and Matt were x

Was looking through some old threads earlier and found this if you lads remember:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?171679-Pretty-urgent-help-needed

Snoobs the best player on the pitch and scored a bullet header. I'm sure you JG & PD have many fond memories on the pitch and off it. Never to be forgotten. RIP.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Apologies if its already been suggested, but can't see it, and maybe feelings are running too raw to do so, but (when the time is right) have the REMF sent an official press release to the National Press, linking Jacob to the REMF and the reason why the REMF exists? I'm pretty sure its an angle that the national press would wholeheartedly seize on, and I'm damn sure its an angle worth calling them up personally on the phone and talking them through. It would be a fitting tribute to Jacob IMHO, and would hopefully raise the profile of the REMF and the associated fund-raising that Jacob was so much a part of. MAKE IT HAPPEN! [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apologies if its already been suggested, but can't see it, and maybe feelings are running too raw to do so, but (when the time is right) have the REMF sent an official press release to the National Press, linking Jacob to the REMF and the reason why the REMF exists? I'm pretty sure its an angle that the national press would wholeheartedly seize on, and I'm damn sure its an angle worth calling them up personally on the phone and talking them through. It would be a fitting tribute to Jacob IMHO, and would hopefully raise the profile of the REMF and the associated fund-raising that Jacob was so much a part of. MAKE IT HAPPEN! [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]?

A very good idea. It's the sort of thing that could catch the attention of those far and wide and, perhaps, trigger an influx of funds to the charity. If something good could come of this whole horrible thing, then we should try and achieve that.

Someone like [MENTION=24894]greyseagull[/MENTION] or the good lady of [MENTION=4251]ROSM[/MENTION] could be well placed to put something together, and have some contacts to help it reach where it needs to go.

Jimmy Grimble

I've spoken a bit with Mendoza and the wheels are in motion for a fundraising walk from the area of the crash to Worthing United's ground, before heading to the Amex for our game with Hull on September 12th.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing

A very good idea. It's the sort of thing that could catch the attention of those far and wide and, perhaps, trigger an influx of funds to the charity. If something good could come of this whole horrible thing, then we should try and achieve that.

Someone like [MENTION=24894]greyseagull[/MENTION] or the good lady of [MENTION=4251]ROSM[/MENTION] could be well placed to put something together, and have some contacts to help it reach where it needs to go.

I would be more than delighted to do this - it would be an absolute pleasure. In fact, if you ever need any assistance in terms of press & publicity now and moving forward on an on-going basis for the REMF then I am always here. I can get a press release ready for you tomorrow if you want to drop me a PM with your details [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I would be more than delighted to do this - it would be an absolute pleasure. In fact, if you ever need any assistance in terms of press & publicity now and moving forward on an on-going basis for the REMF then I am always here. I can get a press release ready for you tomorrow if you want to drop me a PM with your details [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION]

Great gesture mate :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Happy to PM you, and will do so, but I should point out out that I'm nowt to do with the REMF custodians, and wouldn't any press release be better coming from them directly in a coordinated way? Happy to assist obviously if I can do so. Cheers.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

As we know this is being worked on and Brett Mendoza has made it happen. I am sure the Walk will make national news and TV

Jimmy Grimble

The club have been amazing in the way they have conducted themselves during this difficult time. Today I was able to collect a full team set of Albion shirts with Schilt on the back which we will wear to honour him by. A massive thank you to Paul Barber and Ben Price who arranged this for us - top blokes. They will be worn with pride. Hopefully a charity/memorial match will be arranged at some point in the future. A game between Jacob and Matt's friends and an REMF side has been briefly spoken about as a possibility.

Well done to The Albion. A genuine community club.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A couple of pieces in the Argus today, one of Jacob and a photo of the REMF shirt and another on the walk

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
A couple of pieces in the Argus today, one of Jacob and a photo of the REMF shirt and another on the walk

Do you need any further help with this in terms of press & PR? Feel free to PM me your email address and we can go from there. I've got good contacts in the national press if you want me to explore further. Well done on what's been achieved so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here