Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Favourite Post Brexit Fish

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
It’s my fault, I actually caught 3 bass over 42 cm in one session last October and Brussels went into meltdown and responded with a 1 Bass limit over 42cm for the UK for all recreational beach Anglers, mind you it’s still fine for the French and Spanish beam trawlers to chug up and down the Sussex coast less than a mile offshore, hence hoovering up every juvenile fish that dare to swim in the area , as for cod dunno it’s been at least 5 years since I caught a sizeable one , can’t think why .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So allowing for cost rises in the supply chain, it doesn't take a hugh leap of imagination to think they'll end up more or less the same price :shrug:

apparently everything will double. stands to reason, if cost have increased ~20% already.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
and i asked if people believe we would impose tariffs on ourselves. apparently so. i dont know why you go on to insult anyone discussing something.

i should leave this to the jovial fish humour as intended.
Well in this instance because you were the one who moved it onto something more serious by picking me up on my £10 a portion quip. But in answer to your question, it's because we are unlikely not to retaliate to any tariffs imposed by the EU, clearly. I'm not insulting you, I haven't called you any names. I just find you infuriating, it's like you refuse to acknowledge the most basic and apparent flaws in your arguments - every single time.

Could never get it right in the scorebook either when writing 0 by your name, Huffer.

Amusing. :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well in this instance because you were the one who moved it onto something more serious by picking me up on my £10 a portion quip. But in answer to your question, it's because we are unlikely not to retaliate to any tariffs imposed by the EU, clearly. I'm not insulting you, I haven't called you any names. I just find you infuriating, it's like you refuse to acknowledge the most basic and apparent flaws in your arguments - every single time.

i long ago conceded on the entire leaving EU idea, by many well made points in favour of remaining and that we arent prepared for it. rather than fear and hyperbole, on which i get triggered still, 20 years to unlearn. i too get infuriated by refusal to acknowledge there is even a case for leaving, its all just invalid and wrong, end. to that extent, in my mind it is unlikely we would engage in tariffs and retaliatory trade when the proponents of leaving have made a rather big deal about not having trade barriers. prehaps thats illogical of me. :shrug:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
.....and POXY BLOODY THREE BEARDED ROCKLING available off the Southwick Arm and Kingston Beach at various times of the year.
I catch mostly the latter in the winter. They are 3 inches long and look like bogies. I'd pay a tarriff for them all to **** off. :)

Three inch long bogies. Will we have those back, too? :cheers:

Also, white dog turds. I wonder if they'll make a comeback should we crash out with no deal.

Yoda

English & European
i only asked if people really think we would increase tariffs on non-EU imports, as implied by a £10 portion of cod. then you infer i suggest below zero tariffs ???

Unless it's a deal that we (The UK) have made with a non-EU Country, rather than a deal made with us being IN the EU, we have no choice. It will be under WTO rules. As I said earlier, we only have trade deals on our own with about 7 non EU Countries.

This will also apply to Cod imported from EU Countries.

Under WTO, a Country cannot favour one over the others they trade with unless there are Trade Deals in place. If they do they have to do so for all other Countries they trade with under WTO.

This is the best, impartial video I've found explaining what will happen:

Edit: As well as this

Last edited:

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
There will be absolutely problem with fish stocks post Brexit. Once the greedy foreigners from the EU are banned from British waters we will be able to exploit the huge shoals of fish just like we used to.

Expect booming catches and a commensurate collapse in price in the Home Market as Cod and chips sells for 2 Shillings and Sixpence again!

Oh goody will they start selling them out of 1970s newspapers again. If we are really lucky we'll scoffing our chips and finding a photo of Erika Roe's norks buried underneath. It's what made Britain great

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A large part is from the wider EEA, i.e. Iceland and Norway, which has 0% tariffs on cod, so its effectively the same thing. If we stay in EEA then its fine, but obviously a no deal would mean that wouldn't be the case.

We go to war with Iceland over cod! Brilliant. Build the Royal Navy back up to duff up the Vikings.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
We go to war with Iceland over cod! Brilliant. Build the Royal Navy back up to duff up the Vikings.

We didnt win the last one's.
Cant remember if it was the Aegir or Thor that rammed us, forcing us to limp home.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Hence build more ships to really get back to a Great Britain again. Duff em up!

We can make steel again, open the shipyards, once the kids had finished picking crops and fruit they can be conscripted into the navy! Win win ...making Britain great again!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
, as for cod dunno it’s been at least 5 years since I caught a sizeable one , can’t think why .

Because Pickles tells me you are a shi* fisherman who uses cheap plastic lures from The Ranges fishing selection.

Actually living round the corner from there it’s handy for odds and sods.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Cant remember if it was the Aegir or Thor that rammed us, forcing us to limp home.

Jesus...... being rammed by Thor would make anyone limp home. He’s in some of my old CD’s.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A large part is from the wider EEA, i.e. Iceland and Norway, which has 0% tariffs on cod, so its effectively the same thing. If we stay in EEA then its fine, but obviously a no deal would mean that wouldn't be the case.

We're not going to stay in the EEA because it would upset Jacob and Boris.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Perhaps a red pepper sauce and a nice glass of Rioja - you'd probably have to be able to make it in to Spain to consume it though :lol:

Tom Kitchin does some very nice fish/pig's ear dishes.Does a pig's ear class as gammon?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It’s my fault, I actually caught 3 bass over 42 cm in one session last October and Brussels went into meltdown and responded with a 1 Bass limit over 42cm for the UK for all recreational beach Anglers, mind you it’s still fine for the French and Spanish beam trawlers to chug up and down the Sussex coast less than a mile offshore, hence hoovering up every juvenile fish that dare to swim in the area , as for cod dunno it’s been at least 5 years since I caught a sizeable one , can’t think why .
Er, the pair trawlers you see every year chugging up and down off Shoreham along to Littlehampton are Scottish registered boats using " Grandfather's Rights " to fish locally. There has often been talk of Johnny Foreigners trawling up to the beach but mostly it's our own fisherman who have happily slaughtered their own fisheries.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
To get back on topic I like the common dab and hopefully it will become more readily available.

If you're getting properly back on topic, shouldn't that be Common Raab, or perhaps Dominic Daab? ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here