Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think your suggestion that they are like the National Front is stupid. But that is the argument that will be made, and because it is stupid it will be ignored. & any legitimate concerns about UKIP will fall by the wayside because you made such stupid claims the basis of your argument.

Would leave voters vote for UKIP? I don't know. But angry people who feel betrayed will do funny things.

Nobody expected Brexit. Nobody expected Trump.

Reverse Brexit and this is the risk you are taking, and you will be responsible for what happens next.

I'm not the one being stupid here because it's not just me suggesting they're like the National Front - it's the former members/former councillors/MEPs etc who've left in their droves since Gerard Batten started courting Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, James Goddard et al and turning them into an Islamphobic, latter day version of the National Front.

Cary on though and if you want to vote for them, that's up to you.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Britain has 73 MEPs out of 750, so with 28 different countries contributing, we have a tenth of the vote.

We also have power of veto, which is why we aren't in the euro, because we chose not to join.

Why do you think others tell us what to do? Have you considered that a lot of the legislation is cooperation?

So you`ve proved my point... as we have less than 1/10th of the vote. with less than 1/10th of the vote you can`t do a lot.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The government has a duty to ignore the people.

Democracy should not be upheld.

At least we know where you stand, I admire your honesty, there aren't many people who would admit to thinking like that.

The government has not ignored the vote or the people. They have spent 2.5 years giving it full attention.
Brexit can’t work.
Let’s also not conveniently overlook the fact that the Leave campaign was steeped in undemocratic procedure, intent and influence. Possibly even criminally so.

I do not recognise the Brexit referendum as remotely democratic.

No. It’s time to abide by the fact that the referendum was advisory. It’s inadvisable and should be scrapped.

I’d say you’ll thank us for it in the end but your mob lack foresight. Hence the current funkle we are in.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I see.

It’s not an orthodox Parliament though, it’s a second chamber to approve laws made by an unelected executive. It’s like us voting in the Houses of Lords, while the people making the law in the commons and running Govt are unelected by the electorate.

It’s not a fluke this situation either is it?

Very clever, but No, No, No.

The structure has evolved a little over time, and I am sure it could be improved upon, but unorthodox does not make it a bad system, or an undemocratic system.
I think it is less susceptible to corruption than our system, where party donors expect a certain amount of control of their pet MP's.
Not suggesting there isn't any corruption, but it doesn't come as built in as it is in our method.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm not the one being stupid here because it's not just me suggesting they're like the National Front - it's the former members/former councillors/MEPs etc who've left in their droves since Gerard Batten started courting Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, James Goddard et al and turning them into an Islamphobic, latter day version of the National Front.

Too right wing and racist for the Man who proudly stood in front of that Breaking Point poster.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'd rather we honor the vote and leave now. But if we don't then that might be what happens, and it will be the fault of those people who considered their own views to be more important than our democracy.

I would agree with you if it were not for the fact that Remain now leads in the polls, and not narrowly either. The public no longer want to leave, so it will hardly rise up in anger at not getting what it wants.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would agree with you if it were not for the fact that Remain now leads in the polls, and not narrowly either. The public no longer want to leave, so it will hardly rise up in anger at not getting what it wants.

Agree. There’ll be a spot of flag waving but it’ll calm down.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
No political structure should be upheld if it leads to the suffering of citizens. Be that Facism, communism or democracy. It is not in our best interests and government has a duty to scrap Brexit.

Can you point me to the post where you called for the scrapping of the EU after the imposed austerity and suffering in Greece?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
"rules based international order" - is a political term.

Don't confuse the political with the legal.

If a repeal of the ECA is promised by a prospective government, and the poeple vote for it, I don't really see what the EU will be able to do about it.

It would be potentially messy though. Generally having a UKIP government would be unknown territory.

I'd rather we honor the vote and leave now. But if we don't then that might be what happens, and it will be the fault of those people who considered their own views to be more important than our democracy.

Don't you live in Australia?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Rubbish. There are polls which show a very small lead for remain, and others which show a lead for leave. Pick your poll.

Polls said remain last time, days before we voted to leave.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The government has not ignored the vote or the people. They have spent 2.5 years giving it full attention.
Brexit can’t work.
Let’s also not conveniently overlook the fact that the Leave campaign was steeped in undemocratic procedure, intent and influence. Possibly even criminally so.

I do not recognise the Brexit referendum as remotely democratic.

No. It’s time to abide by the fact that the referendum was advisory. It’s inadvisable and should be scrapped.

I’d say you’ll thank us for it in the end but your mob lack foresight. Hence the current funkle we are in.

I didn't say the government had ignored the people. You are saying they should.

If we don't leave then they will have.

Call people who disagree with you a "mob" if you want.

A vote wasn't democratic, because you lost.

You're a failure of a person.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

I won't vote for them.

You might as well vote for them if you are intent on reversing leaving the EU, that's what you will effectively be doing.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

The wonderful world of undemocratic loons where a few polls are more significant than a referendum and a general election (democracy) :rolleyes:

Speaking of 'leading in the polls and not narrowly either' (December) Delta Poll - Remain 44 Leave 43, Opinium - Remain 45 Leave 45

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can you point me to the post where you called for the scrapping of the EU after the imposed austerity and suffering in Greece?

Have you spoken to any Greeks about their economy? You seem to like using them as an example.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here