Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drones spotted at LGW.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If they miss, where do you think the bullet goes?

It’s the same principle for armed police in every other scenario though.

As an aside,I’m not aware of any other major airports having such problems. What’s different? This seems such a simple amd easy thing for anyone to do....so why hasn’t it occurred elsewhere? Do other airports/nations do anything differently?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hmmm... I assume, these days, that the technology is there to remotely operate these things from hundreds of miles away. Fly it back to some rented garage, onto a charger, and back out the next night...
Apparently the reason they don't shoot it down is because the bullets could end up anywhere. Really?

i think it may also be fscking difficult to hit one at any sort of range.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
If they miss, where do you think the bullet goes?

If they use a shotgun, many very small very light harmless little steel balls scatter over an area. Not dangerous to anyone.

I suppose it does depend how high its flying as to whether a shotgun could be used as its range is maybe 150 feet max

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The logistics of getting everyone where they are going and coming from after so many cancellations and diversions is mind boggling to me. Flights are full this time of year so where are the additional flights to get people where they are scheduled to go coming from?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
How can someone still be doing this?
Started at 9 last night (ish) I think and still yanking the Airport/Police's chain 18 hours (ish) later.
The net must be closing in but I think if I was doing this I'd maybe fly it for long enough to get my point across and then bugger off before getting caught.
18hrs is showing either dedication or stupidity.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
could a drone even bring a plane down ? worst case would be an engine malfunction much like a large bird could do. In those instances the plane just lands with its other engines. Seems a bit over the top

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
could a drone even bring a plane down ? worst case would be an engine malfunction much like a large bird could do. In those instances the plane just lands with its other engines. Seems a bit over the top

Can I not be on one of those flights please

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

Id rather not be on the plane while this is tested. Nor would I like to be the person who authorized flights to land/take off if there was a drone/plane collision and major incident.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How can someone still be doing this?
Started at 9 last night (ish) I think and still yanking the Airport/Police's chain 18 hours (ish) later.
The net must be closing in but I think if I was doing this I'd maybe fly it for long enough to get my point across and then bugger off before getting caught.
18hrs is showing either dedication or stupidity.

It does seem a bit odd that this cat-and-mouse game is still going on. And I find it hard to believe the police can’t shoot the thing down, or jam it somehow. If you can shoot Brazilian electricians on a busy train you can surely fire a bullet at drone? And as I’ve said before this threat has been around for ages and is applicable to all airports...why hasn’t it happened elsewhere? Lots of questions?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

A bird strike on an engine by a bird the size of a drone will destroy the engine. At best it will flame out, at worse it will explode. Losing an engine on take off or landing is not for the faint hearted. Losing an engine which then explodes and damages the wing is a catastrophic.

If the drone hits the leading edge and damages the various flaps then that will also lead to serious problems during either take off or landing.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It does seem a bit odd that this cat-and-mouse game is still going on. And I find it hard to believe the police can’t shoot the thing down, or jam it somehow. If you can shoot Brazilian electricians on a busy train you can surely fire a bullet at drone? ?

The concern with shooting the thing down is that if you miss the round has to come down somewhere. If it hits someone that there is a good chance that they (and there families) won’t be celebrating Christmas.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
A bird strike on an engine by a bird the size of a drone will destroy the engine. At best it will flame out, at worse it will explode. Losing an engine on take off or landing is not for the faint hearted. Losing an engine which then explodes and damages the wing is a catastrophic.

If the drone hits the leading edge and damages the various flaps then that will also lead to serious problems during either take off or landing.

wise words from a real WAFU:salute:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s the same principle for armed police in every other scenario though.

As an aside,I’m not aware of any other major airports having such problems. What’s different? This seems such a simple amd easy thing for anyone to do....so why hasn’t it occurred elsewhere? Do other airports/nations do anything differently?

It isn't as it happens. Armed police are generally shooting at a target from above or horizontally, they can make a risk assessment of where any bullets will end up - that is an essential part of their training assessing the background. A bullet travelling horizontally will generally hit something or travel about 2000metres. Shooting upward, you have absolutely no idea where the trajectory will take a bullet, they can reach 10,000ft and wind means they can go anywhere. A falling bullet from height when it reaches its terminal velocity still has the potential to kill.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If they use a shotgun, many very small very light harmless little steel balls scatter over an area. Not dangerous to anyone.

I suppose it does depend how high its flying as to whether a shotgun could be used as its range is maybe 150 feet max

Yeah agree, but I doubt these are flying low enough for the police to get their pump actions out.

I also think it's a bit OTT. If there's only one drone I'd have thought the chances of it entering an engine are about as low as a goose doing soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here