Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ian Wright

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Wright was here on trial in November 1983, at the same time that Penney was also here as a trialist. They both started in reserve matches at Swindon on Tuesday November 22 (Wright scored in a 1-1 draw) and two days later at home to Reading in a 4-1 win (as shown here from the programme for the match against Cardiff City on December 3 1983). The amazing thing was, Penney was signed......and started for the first team in the 3-1 defeat at Oakwell on Saturday November 26 - his third start in 5 days!!!

View attachment 102501

Good to see Dean (Wendy) Wilkins on the score sheet too! Another fine Albion player we let go first time around before he returned and became the legend he is!

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
One of my all time favourite palace players till he moved to the arsenal . We had the thankless task of trying to replace him and we tried the Far East and got the two Chinese lads in . But it was impossible to replace him as two wongs don’t make a wright .

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
You weren't around in the crap years were you?

Actually, he was, he was only young tho and not wanting to put him through the hell that we were all going through, i told him it was ok if he wanted to support Man Utd like his mates at school, his reply was "no dad, i'm Brighton".

He went to his first game at the Goldstone aged 4, missed only 2 games in the 2 years at Priestfield and had a season ticket at Withdean until i moved up to Scotland and still being young he had to come too. He's since grown up, moved back to London and has had a season ticket at the Amex since it opened but safe to say he was definitely there when we were shit, and without the need for a "glamour club"

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I had no idea about this.

https://youtu.be/LuvmHm8zChw

Steve Foster sounds like a legend. Chris Cattlin, not so much.

I love Wrighty. One of football's class acts in my opinion. I'd have loved to see him in the stripes, and it sounds like it came very close. What could have been...

I love the fact he remembers the details, peoples names etc.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Actually, he was, he was only young tho and not wanting to put him through the hell that we were all going through, i told him it was ok if he wanted to support Man Utd like his mates at school, his reply was "no dad, i'm Brighton".

He went to his first game at the Goldstone aged 4, missed only 2 games in the 2 years at Priestfield and had a season ticket at Withdean until i moved up to Scotland and still being young he had to come too. He's since grown up, moved back to London and has had a season ticket at the Amex since it opened but safe to say he was definitely there when we were shit, and without the need for a "glamour club"
You been following me?! [emoji44]

[emoji38]ol:

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not sure if this is the full video and there is a bit missing where he says 'and i have hated Brighton ever since' .

When I see him on telly just seems pretty honest.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good spot AZGull. It reminded me that Steve Palmer was here as a youth at the time (a member of John Shepherd’s brilliant youth team). He left to go to uni and when he finished he came back looking for a contract. Lloyd didn’t want him so he had a tremendous career of over 500 matches elsewhere.
A winger, Danny Carter also played and had a good career at Orient when they were half decent.
I never realised Danny Carter started at Brighton, I watched him play many times for Merthyr in the early 2000's. Good player at that level along side Cohen Griffith.who should really have played at a higher level.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I never realised Danny Carter started at Brighton, I watched him play many times for Merthyr in the early 2000's. Good player at that level along side Cohen Griffith.who should really have played at a higher level.

Yes, there were a few who half made it. David Gipp should have had a better career than he did. Trevor Wood the goalie played for Walsall and Port Vale and, due to him being from Jersey, got a full cap for Northern Ireland. I think Paul Dobinson’s claim to fame was that he married Terry Venables’ daughter!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes, there were a few who half made it. David Gipp should have had a better career than he did. Trevor Wood the goalie played for Walsall and Port Vale and, due to him being from Jersey, got a full cap for Northern Ireland. I think Paul Dobinson’s claim to fame was that he married Terry Venables’ daughter!
I always felt a bit sorry for Gipp, prolific for the reserves and U21's but never given much of a chance in the first team.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ian's grandson, Shaun Wright-Phillips' son, got a last minute equaliser for Stoke this evening.

Feeling old :lolol:

:ohmy: SWP is 40!

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Don't think so. Wright signed for Palace when he was 22 in 1985, the same year we signed Saunders. His trial with us was when he was a teenager so about 3 years earlier.

It cant have been three years earlier as Cattlin was not even manager then. I actually saw Wright playing for our reserves at the Goldstone - he was great even though he didnt score in that game. I remember commenting to others at the time that I had just seen a very skillful trialist playing in our reserves. Im pretty sure Penney played as well. Despite not signing Wright, Id actually put Cattlin in my top three Albion managers (and a top defender) of my 50 years of watching them alongside Poyet and Potter. He recruited some excellent players.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I was there and remember the gesture well. It was 'I'm so scared' with his fingers to his face followed by a big smile.

I've always quite liked him (and I feel so dirty saying that)

No need to feel dirty, if we had been clued-up enough to sign him he would have given Albion 100%. He's an intelligent, likeable man who certainly wasn't handed success on a plate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It cant have been three years earlier as Cattlin was not even manager then. I actually saw Wright playing for our reserves at the Goldstone - he was great even though he didnt score in that game. I remember commenting to others at the time that I had just seen a very skillful trialist playing in our reserves. Im pretty sure Penney played as well. Despite not signing Wright, Id actually put Cattlin in my top three Albion managers (and a top defender) of my 50 years of watching them alongside Poyet and Potter. He recruited some excellent players.

Wright says he was 19 when he was on trial with Brighton which would be sometime between Nov 1982 and Nov 83!! Catlin joined the club as coach in July 83 and replaced Melia in Oct 83.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Wright says he was 19 when he was on trial with Brighton which would be sometime between Nov 1982 and Nov 83!! Catlin joined the club as coach in July 83 and replaced Melia in Oct 83.

Post 54 shows team sheets from November 1983.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here