Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Went to watch the Grinch last Sunday the animation is fantastic as ever however, I fail to see the point of this movie re-make other than to make money.
It offered nothing new, yes it had it's funny moments, and Max the dog seems to be the star in this movie to me, but the whole film does not come close to the fun that Jim Carrey put into being the Grinch 19 years ago.

6/10 - Stick to the original

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bad times at El Royale.

Ah went to see this the wife a few weeks, and it was very, very good Jeff Bridges is awesome as ever, fast paced, lots of violence, twists & turns, good music, quirky, dark you know the score.
If you liked 4 rooms or any Tarantino style films this is for you.

Zone out time..
[yt]SQmOaJciI7Q[/yt]

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
I'm a bit of a harry potter fan, I have the books, audiobooks, ebooks, I've been to several midnight releases (for both the books and the films). So I went along to the midnight opening last night for the latest instalment and I was underwhelmed. It felt like a series of set pieces with a minimal story to link them. Twists or revelations seemed poorly executed in both the set up and the pay off. It felt like some things were in there for fan service and they struggled to come up with a decent storyline excuse to have them there. There was a particular twist I didn't want to see in the original Harry Potter series, and was pleased when we got to the end of it and they didn't do it. Then along comes this and they do an equivalent of it over in this series leaving a bad taste in the mouth.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Heads up for any Picturehouse members - Black Friday offer

'Renew over Black Friday weekend, and not only will you get a free upgrade to Premium Membership, but we'll throw in two extra free tickets for good measure!

This offer is available to you if you renew your Membership before Monday 26 November.

Premium Membership is a free-of-charge loyalty add-on that increases your food and drink discount to 20% at all Picturehouses, provided you renew before your Membership expires. If you renew after your Membership expires, the discount remains at 10%'.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Heads up for any Picturehouse members - Black Friday offer

'Renew over Black Friday weekend, and not only will you get a free upgrade to Premium Membership, but we'll throw in two extra free tickets for good measure!

This offer is available to you if you renew your Membership before Monday 26 November.

Premium Membership is a free-of-charge loyalty add-on that increases your food and drink discount to 20% at all Picturehouses, provided you renew before your Membership expires. If you renew after your Membership expires, the discount remains at 10%'.

so. membership is free and you get free tickets, will look into this next year (when I get my life back :) ) :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
so. membership is free and you get free tickets, will look into this next year (when I get my life back :) ) :thumbsup:

Well not quite. You have to buy the normal membership first. Which is a great deal in itself as you get a number of free tickets, discounts on food and drink at the cinema itself and also at some other places incl. The very excellent Joker across the road.

The Black Friday deal above offers an upgrade to an existing membership plus additional free tickets. Oh, and if for some reason you can't use all your tickets one year, you can carry them over to the next year's membership. Like I say, it's a great deal.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Looking forward to Ben Wheatley’s latest , Happy New Year, Colin Burstead at DoY Cinecity showing later this evening. Wheatley and Maskell are a winning combo.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Looking forward to Ben Wheatley’s latest , Happy New Year, Colin Burstead at DoY Cinecity showing later this evening. Wheatley and Maskell are a winning combo.

On the box at crimbo, innit?
Wheatley went down in my estimations with his last 2 pics. I feared that - and this is not in relation to you I promise - he had become surrounded by sycophants, and slightly lost the correct mix of humour and unnerving murk. I hope this is back to his better fare.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Well not quite. You have to buy the normal membership first. Which is a great deal in itself as you get a number of free tickets, discounts on food and drink at the cinema itself and also at some other places incl. The very excellent Joker across the road.

The Black Friday deal above offers an upgrade to an existing membership plus additional free tickets. Oh, and if for some reason you can't use all your tickets one year, you can carry them over to the next year's membership. Like I say, it's a great deal.

Oh right, thanks! I've lived up the road from the D of Ys for years and never knew this :nono:

Walking past the other evening when a little lad screamed "Look Mummy, the Lady's legs keep lighting up!" :)

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
On the box at crimbo, innit?
Wheatley went down in my estimations with his last 2 pics. I feared that - and this is not in relation to you I promise - he had become surrounded by sycophants, and slightly lost the correct mix of humour and unnerving murk. I hope this is back to his better fare.

Oh I utterly agree. I’m more interested in seeing Neil Maskell tbh and I like the sound of the subject matter. I like the “family/friends gathering in a country pile that inevitably blows up in their faces genre. However there is a q&a with BW after so I will voice our concerns!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Oh I utterly agree. I’m more interested in seeing Neil Maskell tbh and I like the sound of the subject matter. I like the “family/friends gathering in a country pile that inevitably blows up in their faces genre. However there is a q&a with BW after so I will voice our concerns!

:)
I thank you.
All sounds rather Festen eh. Which isn't a bad thing to mirror. Well, it's bad, but ideally watchable.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Saw Three Identical Strangers at a Picturehouse Members free preview at the Komedia last Sunday. It's the story of triplets in the US who were adopted separately and didn't know of each others existence until they were in their late teens. The story of how they discovered each other - and what happened next is absolutely gripping. Your views about nature vs nurture also swing in all directions. Highly recommended.

Only sad note was the number of people who claimed free tickets but then decided they didn't fancy it on a Sunday morning. It was 'sold-out' but only half-full.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Saw this this arvo with Mrs V, she said she nodded off for a bit halfway through and I think I was pretty close too. It's a poor film, small bursts of action and excitement then back to a plod until the next action. Lots of mumbled dialogue about very little and overall I could not fathom out what was going on and after a while I gave up caring anyway. Depp is Depp but without the eyeliner for once. Ended up with a good blue v red firework display and I think the net result was a draw. Three more of these to come apparently and I'm not optimistic about the future.

6/10

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Creed II
Disappointing. It relies too much on nostalgia. Not just the idea of Creed/Drago rivalry, but lots of little lines and callbacks. The Dragos weren't really developed much, and the story was formulaic and predictable. The boxing was movie boxing. Every single punch looked like a haymaker, it took me out of it (though, there were a few audible winces from the rest of the audience so maybe I'm in the minority)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Went to see Disobedience this evening. At times the passion was consuming and inarguable, but it didn't fully gel as an eternal love story. I didn't feel the characters were delved into enough to make this an effective blend, and clash, of mourning, religious practice, and unstoppable physical desire. Rachel Weisz was glacial and seemed, at times, too juvenile, as if she was so quickly the rebellious, lesbian teen in Golders Green that she wasn't for so many years as acclaimed photographer in New York. Rachel McAdams was ok, but i thought of the film of last year, Apostasy, and how agonisingly true that was, or seemed, within the Jehovah's Witness community. This felt true in places, but did not strike in the same way. Alessandro Nivola was good, i thought, as the husband.
The music in the film i felt i had heard before, and i am not sure if it was similar in that of A Fantastic Woman.
Overall, it was alright, but not everything fitted, both narratively and in the combination of styles.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Went to see Disobedience this evening. At times the passion was consuming and inarguable, but it didn't fully gel as an eternal love story. I didn't feel the characters were delved into enough to make this an effective blend, and clash, of mourning, religious practice, and unstoppable physical desire. Rachel Weisz was glacial and seemed, at times, too juvenile, as if she was so quickly the rebellious, lesbian teen in Golders Green that she wasn't for so many years as acclaimed photographer in New York. Rachel McAdams was ok, but i thought of the film of last year, Apostasy, and how agonisingly true that was, or seemed, within the Jehovah's Witness community. This felt true in places, but did not strike in the same way. Alessandro Nivola was good, i thought, as the husband.
The music in the film i felt i had heard before, and i am not sure if it was similar in that of A Fantastic Woman.
Overall, it was alright, but not everything fitted, both narratively and in the combination of styles.
MB I do enjoy your reviews but it seems as if you don't like most of the films that you watch. Like an addict who keeps going back to the same dealer despite hating him and hating the product. Because it's what you do.

I suggest watching cricket instead.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
MB I do enjoy your reviews but it seems as if you don't like most of the films that you watch. Like an addict who keeps going back to the same dealer despite hating him and hating the product. Because it's what you do.

I suggest watching cricket instead.

You have nailed it here fella. Meade seems to hate cinema in general and in particular hollywood films. I really do not know why he puts himself through it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here