Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tracey Crouch

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No one puts a gun to these people’s heads and forces them in the bookies, bunch of thickos trying to beat a software program deserve all they get. And that’s from someone who likes a gamble.

I bet you hated the budget this week with so much extra money going to mental health !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Jimmy Saville had an allotment too....whats your point?

What was your original point in randomly mentioning the Labour party leader on this thread (and now Jimmy Saville) other than being a trolling idiot, as is your custom?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What was your original point in randomly mentioning the Labour party leader on this thread (and now Jimmy Saville) other than being a trolling idiot, as is your custom?

what was your original point in randomly mentioning her stance on brexit on this thread concerning her stance on gambling, other than being a trolling idiot as is your custom?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
what was your original point in randomly mentioning her stance on brexit on this thread concerning her stance on gambling, other than being a trolling idiot as is your custom?

I didn't randomly mention her stance on Brexit - I was pointing out to someone else that she is entirely neutral on Brexit in regards to them discussing/mentioning her being a Brexiteer. Perhaps you should ask them why they originally mentioned it?

(Perhaps you should have a look at yourself in the mirror too as to why you mention Jimmy Saville at all on this thread as it's quite sad and pathetic.)

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Indeed well done Tracey for making a stand for the vulnerable. Government hang your heads in same, again...

Yep well done Tracey for standing up for the vulnerable.

tc.JPG

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I didn't randomly mention her stance on Brexit - I was pointing out to someone else that she is entirely neutral on Brexit in regards to them discussing/mentioning her being a Brexiteer. Perhaps you should ask them why they originally mentioned it?

(Perhaps you should have a look at yourself in the mirror too as to why you mention Jimmy Saville at all on this thread as it's quite sad and pathetic.)

You brought up allotments and in all honesty im never going to take advice from a self proclaimed class warrior........that truly is a sad and pathetic existence........any of your heroes verbally attacked kids recently?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You brought up allotments and in all honesty im never going to take advice from a self proclaimed class warrior........that truly is a sad and pathetic existence........any of your heroes verbally attacked kids recently?

Oh dear- I can see you're just having one of your frustrated Friday mornings again, empowered and fuelled by the anonymity the medium of the internet brings you, though rather than have a rampage on the Brexit thread, you're on this one instead.

Go away.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Oh dear- I can see you're just having one of your frustrated Friday mornings again, empowered and fuelled by the anonymity the medium of the internet brings you, though rather than have a rampage on the Brexit thread, you're on this one instead.

Go away.

You know what you are.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Very understanding of you. I'm sure the world is much nicer for having you in it.
Someone might read my post and and think about what they are doing next time. I tested out these machines with a simple strategy after a bookmaker was protesting how they are not fixed in their favour well they are. Gamblers are addicted to the buzz of winning I can guarantee you won’t get much of a buzz on these machines. Maybe thicko was the wrong word uneducated may of been better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed.

The person I know with a gambling addiction has an £80k+ year job, degree from a top University and is one of the smartest people I know. He is not money obsessed or materialistic, it’s the love of maths/odds and the adrenaline of winning plus placing everything on the line that got him I think. I don’t think he’s ever played the slot machines though.

Tony Bloom started off playing slot machines. He loves maths, but obviously knew when to stop. I don't think anyone would call him a thicko.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Am I being a little naive, or are we referring to a politician who values her principles and code of ethics above prostituting her talents, just to mindlessly tow the party line? I’m stunned that she had the courage of her convictions and laid her career on the line, because the lack of urgency to control the excesses of the gambling ‘industry’ and the devastating effects that they had on her constituents abhorred her. Respect!

Spot on. When you consider the utterly shameful career-politicking of people like Boris Johnson, I find it absolutely refreshing to see Tory MPs behaving like this. There are plenty of principled Conservatives in the back benches, so I just don't understand why their front benches have been so utterly reprehensible over the past decade.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Someone might read my post and and think about what they are doing next time. I tested out these machines with a simple strategy after a bookmaker was protesting how they are not fixed in their favour well they are. Gamblers are addicted to the buzz of winning I can guarantee you won’t get much of a buzz on these machines. Maybe thicko was the wrong word uneducated may of been better.

The people who use these machines in a bookies are noticeably different to the average other punter in the shop chasing the buzz of the 3.40 at Lingfield though, in my opinion. It's a different, far worse form of addiction to the buzz you mention and a different punter to the rest. In a bookies the person at the machine generally stands out like a sore thumb. Some of them are zombies. In my view you could compare it to a pub having a designated corner for the sale of crack, hence the FOBT nickname. You don't get people nicking charity boxes out of pubs to bet on the horses like you do with these things for example, hence staff asking users where they got the money from.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The gambling culture now genuinely shocks me. This is coming from someone who has enjoyed a bet since 18. I think the half time ads are a disgrace. You may well have an individual who has resisted all urge to bet, sat down, watched the game and then is BOMBARDED during it about "next goalscorer" etc. Sure, you can argue they are weak if they fall for it, but that's who it's targeting. It's all very well putting the Gambling Awareness blurb at the end but we all know it doesn't make a difference to someone struggling.

I've never had a 'problem' but I was beginning to find myself opening up betting apps without even thinking about it....depositing ANOTHER fiver and placing a bet in the space of about a minute based on a whim. Doing it online is just so easy and completely detaches from the reality that you are spending money.

Skybet added to their app a new 'profit and loss' feature as well as analysis of when and how much you've spent. I spent 10 minutes looking at these new features, saw that I've 'lost' £135 in 2018 (yes, I know it's not THAT much...but I was genuinely under the illusion I was about even due to some nice wins :lolol) and I closed my app (took a 6 month holiday) with immediate effect. Complete weight off my shoulders.

I found the real issue was the minimum deposit. Whenever I won I immediately withdraw it....which meant my balance was always £0. When I wanted a bet I had to deposit a fiver. Sure, its not LOADS, but it adds up. So, from thinking "I'll chuck a quid on that" I suddenly had a fiver available and inevitably it was gone.

My mortgage was never in trouble, I paid my bills, I saved a bit each month etc and I'm sure people are laughing at the tiny amounts im referencing but I didn't like it and I was anxious when betting and watching the games unfold. The fun had stopped.

Now, on a Saturday morning, I go with a pound coin to the bookies, place a weekend acca and that's the betting bug well and truly met. I've lost every week so far, but there is literally no stress about it now.

I suppose the reason I see my essay as relevant is that the minimum stake does matter. A £2 stake will take FIFTY spins more to spend the £100. It gives far more chance for the individual to have that realisation. That moment of "what am I doing here?".

Yes, you will have those who are stuck, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try and save those who can be/minimise the damage.

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Of course it won’t change many problem gamblers ways but it will help overall. I think it’s more to do with the huge payouts than the stakes though. I was listening to a story of a gambling suicide on the radio last night (R4, PM 5.15ish) told by the mother. Her son (17) and his school mates used their dinner money on these machines, one of his first experiences of gambling was winning two lots of £500 on consecutive spins. After that win, he was an addict for life until he eventually killed himself 6 years later. Very sad indeed.

So we agree it wont change behaviour of most problem gamblers, just like reducing the size of chocolate bars wont prevent obesity. At most this policy is an inconvenience for their users who will need to find other alternatives to pissing money away. Its window dressing and political grandstanding, no more no less, and if this story is more news worthy than others that have occurred this week in the North of England then I’m a monkeys uncle.

If politicians want to make a stand to protect the vulnerable working class who are at risk of being exploited and having their lives ruined or commutting suicide in this country, then FOBTs is definitely the wrong fight to pick.

On the contrary, if they want to appeal to the soft minded, mattress soddening constituency who want to buy the world a coke, then this is the real thing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here