Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Midfield four next season

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I wouldn't be surprised to see us play 4-5-1 in the PL so I think additional midfielders is vital if we decide to go down that route. I, like others, don't think whole sale changes are needed, but any additions from the following I'd be happy to brought in:
Mooy, Swift, Loftus-Cheek (loan) Cork (if Swansea go down), Sigurdsson (if Swansea go down)

Sigurdsson is being linked with a £30 million move to Everton with £150k a week wages today.. feel that may be a bit beyond our means.

theboybilly

Examples? W11 D5 L5 doesn't sound too bad a return......

There are times, I think you'll agree, when teams have doubled-up on Knocky. With this in mind and accepting that our full backs (especially Bruno) can bang forward we may have got some joy using this system. It would also cover a resting of players (if you see what I mean) It's just something I've mulled over a few times (normally after an under-par performance -hindsight eh?) Hard to argue with our away stats mind

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If Hughes was that good he would be in the PL by now, looked shocking at the Amex this season couldn't handle being bullied by Skalak.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me. Will Hughes is something of a fair weather player, fine if given the time and space, but doesn't like it if the game becomes physical.

Even Derby don't start him in every game.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Dinner party with Chris Hughton last night and when asked he mentioned liking Swift as a potential for next season

Can't be true, It was Pulse (Burgess Hill) nightclubs last ever night and I was throwing some big shapes with Chrissy boy until 3am! He said we are After Ake, he burped then said Fenwa! Honest!!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Three at the back seems a very probable approach and I see we are rumoured to be competing for Ryan Shawcross in today's media.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Baldock in the Premier League :lolol:

Most people thought the same about Ashley Barnes....

Have you seen some of the players at Bournemouth and Burnley? Do you really think all of them are a massive cut above Baldock?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
There are times, I think you'll agree, when teams have doubled-up on Knocky. With this in mind and accepting that our full backs (especially Bruno) can bang forward we may have got some joy using this system. It would also cover a resting of players (if you see what I mean) It's just something I've mulled over a few times (normally after an under-par performance -hindsight eh?) Hard to argue with our away stats mind

More important than formation has been whether DS plays. People do not realise how important he is to us. In 6 of the 10 away games we failed to win (Derby, Reading, Newcastle, Preston, Huddersfield, Brentford) DS did not start. He was imperious at Wolves.

Blow formations,. Give me DS and I am happy.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I will be mildly surprised if we go into most games with more than one starting winger.
It's a whole different ballgame and whereas in the Championship our central 2 sometimes get outnumbered and occasionally played round, in the Premier League we could routinely be annihilated.
I would imagine we will sacrifice one winger for either a box to box central midfielder or use a deep lying holding player to cover our defence against fast breaks through the middle.
All that matters next season is staying away from the bottom three cpme May.

I would have thought that if we sacrifice a player to give us 5 in the midfield it will be a striker that goes leaving us with two wingers, two centre mids and a deep lying 'Kante' type player to break up attacks and sit in front of the back four.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
More important than formation has been whether DS plays. People do not realise how important he is to us. In 6 of the 10 away games we failed to win (Derby, Reading, Newcastle, Preston, Huddersfield, Brentford) DS did not start. He was imperious at Wolves.

Your right, he does the job most people don't notice in the engine room of midfield. Keeps the Albion ticking over, and the ball moving. A box to box player in the same mould as Dean Hammond a few years ago. Vital in my opinion. Hope he agrees a new contract.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Bournemouth play three at the back and press in midfield.

Duffy, Dunk, Goldson with two mobile full backs?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I've had the misfortune to see Bournemouth around ten times this season and they've played a back four every time. But on the subject of the village team, I looked at them the other day and asked myself which of their players were any better than ours. And I came to the conclusion that I'd have Arter, King and Wilson when fit but none of the others.

theboybilly

I'm not going to disagree there. Dale has been a joy to watch

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Three at the back seems a very probable approach and I see we are rumoured to be competing for Ryan Shawcross in today's media.

Which paper is that in Severnside?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here