Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did your Mum and Dad used to take you on dubious holiday visits?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As a child never ever stayed anywhere for a holiday until I went camping with a local church group at about 12 years old. On my dadas holidays it was always day trips on the trains usually 2 or 3 in the week to London on the workmens train 5s return if you were in London by 8.00am and left on the 7.25 back to Worthing and then spent the day going to museums and Buckingham Palace for changing of the guard. We then got back to the Central for 8.50. The other days were usually 1 day to Portsmouth and 1 to Brighton.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Rockley Sands, now Rockley Park camp site, near Poole, way back in the early 80's.
Remember the shower block, freezing cold showers, spiders, toilets that the smell reminded me of old BR stations and the caravans, well probably on long term loan to the Croydon sect. :lolol:

Noooooooooo, i'm not having that. In the 80's it was the only holiday where a whole group of friends, guys and gals went on holiday in a convoy of Triumph Heralds, Austin Princess and Cortina MK11 1600E. While i admit thatv it was low on quality its those holidays that you remember for a lifetime, we still talk about it when we meet up. A truly great holiday for all the wrong reasons.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Someone I used to share a house with came from Shaftesbury and went on holiday to Swanage. His mum liked 'mystery coach tours'. They went on one and (you're probably ahead of me on this), they ended up back home in Shaftesbury.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
We used to go to Millport for (count 'em) EIGHT weeks in the Summer because my dad got seconded from being British Rail ticket office bloke at mainline station to being purser - complete with Navy-style-braided uniform complete with peaked cap - on the Clyde steamers. Highlight of the morning for us gullible kids was going to the daily Sand Service held on the beach where a core cast of reformed alkies - and probably worse - called things like Brother John held court for an hour on how Jesus Saves. Obviously no self-respecting kid would normally have anything to do with any God-related guff, apart from us kids were being closely monitored. If you sat stock still for the full hour and pretended to be paying attention, you were publicly rewarded with a small bag of sweets or a pencil with Jesus Saves in gold writing down the side. The rest of the day just went downhill from there.

I was going to post something about miserable Sundays driving from Cheshire to sit around in drenched North Wales shitholes like Llandudno and Colwyn Bay but I can't compete with this!

I rather think we have a Winner. :bowdown:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
:sick:Used to spend every summer with grandparents in Telscombe Cliffs. Many happy days down there swimming amongst the sewerage

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Blimey, not too many mention of Clyde Steamers on this site...We went on family holidays to Dunoon and Rothesay. Many years in a row. Dad was a Clyde Steamer fan!! Recall the Duchess of Hamilton, Duchess of Montrose, JeannieJeans, the various car ferries, and of course the still sailing Waverley - world's last ocean sailing paddle steamer, although no longer confined to the Firth of Clyde.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Blimey, not too many mention of Clyde Steamers on this site...We went on family holidays to Dunoon and Rothesay. Many years in a row. Dad was a Clyde Steamer fan!! Recall the Duchess of Hamilton, Duchess of Montrose, JeannieJeans, the various car ferries, and of course the still sailing Waverley - world's last ocean sailing paddle steamer, although no longer confined to the Firth of Clyde.

There's the occasional mention of Cleveland Steamers on NSC though.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I was going to post something about miserable Sundays driving from Cheshire to sit around in drenched North Wales shitholes like Llandudno and Colwyn Bay but I can't compete with this!

I rather think we have a Winner. :bowdown:

yep, it's brilliant isn't it, trying not to LOL

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The ones I remember were four 'Maids' including the Maid of Cumbrae and the Maid of Argyll, three paddle steamers (the Talisman, Caledonia and Waverley) and the Sma' Ferry which was indeed a small ferry, and one guaranteed to induce seasickness in all but the saltiest of sea dogs. Oddly enough, when i was visiting my son who lives in Canary Wharf a couple of weekends ago, what should sail, or rather paddle, past his front room window but the Waverley. Wasn't expecting that at ALL :ohmy:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I think that the Isle Of Wight is a nice place to holiday.
I had a great week in Sandown and around the island as a kid with fond memories.
Ventnor is now a lovely place to go for a visit.

I didn't play this Thread correctly:ffsparr: Apologies ,Sandown i enjoy a lot it was where i went on Holiday . Hated Ventnor as a child it was so dull,but now love the place. If you like Pubs take a stroll 1 mile eastwards to The Bonchurch Inn:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here