Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock has signed a new three-year deal

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'd be delighted by this news if we were still a Championship club. As it stands, it's a logical move given his contract situation. On the other hand, if one were tempted to be a wee bit negative, It looks like a move with an imminent return to the Championship in mind.

I like Sam, I really do. We had better hope he's better than the lesser players currently in the Prem, as our primary hope is that we can finish above the worst of the best - as it were.

Currently I have grave concerns re our loyalty to our current squad, as many over the course of a premier league season... well I fear they might not make the grade.

Time will tell, but I reckon we have £20 million set aside for purchases - now £15M. Make no mistake Bong, Baldock et al are going to be much more than bench/cup tie players.

Don't get me wrong, they deserve a stab at it - the problem is, we could see the night of the long knives all too soon if they can't cut it.

Hmmm hey ho.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
To be disappointed that he'll stay is a low shot. We have a squad to build, and what and who he is will continue to give that unit character. I'm pleased he'll have his chance, and wear a top flight defender or two down with his scampering.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
To be disappointed that he'll stay is a low shot. We have a squad to build, and what and who he is will continue to give that unit character. I'm pleased he'll have his chance, and wear a top flight defender or two down with his scampering.

I admire your somewhat silken sentiment, but therein lies the rub. It's a deal based on sentiment - to suggest it's based on proven ability is a little harder to believe.

He could well prove to have grown as a player, but given the ever widening gulf between the smaller clubs and the HUGE one's, well - his growth will surely have been, hitherto unprecedented.

I truly hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
You can please all of the people some of the time blah blah blah....

One of our underrated unsung heroes imo. Without his bad luck with injuries last season, we WOULD have been champions. I'm not sure he'll be a regular starter but certainly a better player than some would have you believe.

He deserves his new contract I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Dale was no more signed by Oscar than Baldock was signed by Sami.

I refuse to give that Burke any credit at all. In my mind Oscar spent weeks watching Charlton tapes to be sure Dale was the player he wanted. Burke can have the Obika signing if he wants some credit.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This. Struggled last season. Was worse the season before. If that's the level of striker we're settling for next season, heaven help us.

How and when did hr struggle? Had just about his best season for us I think, plenty of assists and scored a fair few important goals too.

For me he definately earns a shot at the Premier League. As honest as the day is long, and will run until he drops.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I'd be delighted by this news if we were still a Championship club. As it stands, it's a logical move given his contract situation. On the other hand, if one were tempted to be a wee bit negative, It looks like a move with an imminent return to the Championship in mind.

I like Sam, I really do. We had better hope he's better than the lesser players currently in the Prem, as our primary hope is that we can finish above the worst of the best - as it were.

Currently I have grave concerns re our loyalty to our current squad, as many over the course of a premier league season... well I fear they might not make the grade.

Time will tell, but I reckon we have £20 million set aside for purchases - now £15M. Make no mistake Bong, Baldock et al are going to be much more than bench/cup tie players.

Don't get me wrong, they deserve a stab at it - the problem is, we could see the night of the long knives all too soon if they can't cut it.

Hmmm hey ho.

Good points

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I admire your somewhat silken sentiment, but therein lies the rub. It's a deal based on sentiment - to suggest it's based on proven ability is a little harder to believe.

He could well prove to have grown as a player, but given the ever widening gulf between the smaller clubs and the HUGE one's, well - his growth will surely have been, hitherto unprecedented.

I truly hope I'm wrong.

He's not the answer to the question of whether we can collectively step up, but he's an ingredient of what made us last term and what we'll look to carry through. I'm very much behind some serious investment, and bringing added menace to the frontline, but to fling away a man who has his scoring moments seems a tad foolish.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
He's not the answer to the question of whether we can collectively step up, but he's an ingredient of what made us last term and what we'll look to carry through. I'm very much behind some serious investment, and bringing added menace to the frontline, but to fling away a man who has his scoring moments seems a tad foolish.

Valid points, he did however have a year to run on his current deal. I'm just struggling to see the urgency here and the reason for the longevity... it just smacks of cosy sentiment - especially given his injury prone thighs.

That said, he does deserve his chance.

Good luck to him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Slight edit there.

Now that I can't argue with.

;)

Well hey, if everyone in the squad 'does a Little Sam', i.e.run until they drop next season, and we do indeed end up dropping out of the Premier League, then l for one will have no complaints. We did everything that we possibly could.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Valid points, he did however have a year to run on his current deal. I'm just struggling to see the urgency here and the reason for the longevity... it just smacks of cosy sentiment - especially given his injury prone thighs.

That said, he does deserve his chance.

Good luck to him.

Look at it the other way round. It is January and Baldock has surpassed expectations while Albion are struggling. No doubt there would be loads of people on here moaning about us not getting him on a longer contract in the summer and saying the club should have acted earlier.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yep

Us fans now need to change our expectation levels.
For all of the life of NSC we've demanded a 20 goal striker.

TBH if the club can sign one player (assuming 2 is to much of dream) who can get into double figures, while HMB weigh in with 5 ish each, we should be well set.

Anyone who feels Baldock and Murray are the answer, is clearly not asking the right question.
Most are expecting relegation and looking at our squad it could be a Sunderland type season.
I love the championship anyway so not a big issue :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Look at it the other way round. It is January and Baldock has surpassed expectations while Albion are struggling. No doubt there would be loads of people on here moaning about us not getting him on a longer contract in the summer and saying the club should have acted earlier.

Yep. As long as player(s) give their all, I don't think we have too much right to complain. We are going into completely unknown territory next season, and non of us will know until we have got through a few games, which players will be able to take to the Premier League, and which won't.

So far too early to start making judgements. Not that that will stop people from doing so of course!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here