Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"That" book

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've heard many stories about an article, film or book that has shaped a young person's future. If you could give your teenage Son, imaginary or real, one book to read to help them understand about perseverance, compassion and tolerance what would it be?

I have a book signed by Ranulph Fiennes which is a great read and llustrates the ability of the human body to achieve great things and survive against all odds.

What would be your choice? (*Playboy Annual is not a valid choice)

Build a Bonfire.

Zawn Kellys

Feb 14, 2012
'Moods of Future Joys' by Alastair Humphreys and its follow up Part Two : 'Thunder and Sunshine'. An amazing story of this guy cycling around the world - showing what is possible if you have a dream, start!, commit and work hard, but also that essentially the world is a good place.

I would also say 'A dip in the ocean' by Sarah Outen, which i am half way through - another inspirational story

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Best book ever. I've just started it again, for the fifth time. Amazing how McCarthy managed to squeeze so much material from one overcast afternoon stroll down London Road and across The Level to the seafront.

It is a really amazing book.

He manages to capture what it is to be a father, which isn't that surprising as he said in his Oprah interview that it was a "love story" for his own son.

I think that's why I love it so much and would like my children to read it as it may help them to understand how I feel about them.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It is a really amazing book.

He manages to capture what it is to be a father, which isn't that surprising as he said in his Oprah interview that it was a "love story" for his own son.

I think that's why I love it so much and would like my children to read it as it may help them to understand how I feel about them.

It's also a textbook example of stripped down, minimalist writing. A must read for anyone interested in the craft of good writing.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Hmmmmm....not sure that these books will teach a teenager about "perseverance, compassion and tolerance" but they certainly gave me a few helpful pointers in my late teenage years:

The Rosy Crucifixion (Sexus, Plexus and Nexus) by Henry Miller

The Ginger Man by J P Donleavy

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Roots - The 1st series of the TV version

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Lord of the Rings:
Perseverance - journey to Mordor against all odds
Tolerance - ancient mistrusts between numerous races that are overcome to unite against a common enemy
Compassion - the whole Gollum story

It's also a fantastic read that fires the imagination, hence why it's still widely acknowledged as the master of its genre. Haven't read it for an age but might just take it with me on my next holiday. The late great Christopher Lee read it once a year from childhood. Think he died aged 90+!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The Colditz Story by Major P R Reid

First read this when I was 12 and it remains one of my all time favourites, outstanding individual stories of heroism/human resolve/humour. And in the follow up book it details how they built a full size glider in the castle attic that the Germans never found, unbelievable!

The Land God gave to Cain by Hammond Innes

Another book I read when I was about 12/13 Just a great mystery/adventure story,a race against time to reach survivors of a plane crash in the frozen wastes of Labrador.

First Light by Squadron Leader Geoffrey Wellum DFC

One of the finest accounts written of exactly what it was like to be a young fighter pilot during the Battle of Britain. The only book I have ever finished reading and gone straight back to page one and read it through again.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Lord of the Rings:
Perseverance - journey to Mordor against all odds
Tolerance - ancient mistrusts between numerous races that are overcome to unite against a common enemy
Compassion - the whole Gollum story

It's also a fantastic read that fires the imagination, hence why it's still widely acknowledged as the master of its genre. Haven't read it for an age but might just take it with me on my next holiday. The late great Christopher Lee read it once a year from childhood. Think he died aged 90+!

With his brain screaming "No more of that Tolkien crap!" (Kidding!) :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
With his brain screaming "No more of that Tolkien crap!" (Kidding!) :)

More than likely! It's exhausting to think anyone could read a non religion book that long that many times. Think of what else you could have read?!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The Colditz Story by Major P R Reid

First read this when I was 12 and it remains one of my all time favourites, outstanding individual stories of heroism/human resolve/humour. And in the follow up book it details how they built a full size glider in the castle attic that the Germans never found, unbelievable!

The Land God gave to Cain by Hammond Innes

Another book I read when I was about 12/13 Just a great mystery/adventure story,a race against time to reach survivors of a plane crash in the frozen wastes of Labrador.

First Light by Squadron Leader Geoffrey Wellum DFC

One of the finest accounts written of exactly what it was like to be a young fighter pilot during the Battle of Britain. The only book I have ever finished reading and gone straight back to page one and read it through again.

I finished reading First Light for a second time just recently. Wonderfully written, it made a greater impression on me the 2nd time for some reason. Visited Stanmore/Bentley Priory near Watford consequently. A real gem of a little local museum, well worth the trip. Reading Tom Neil's 'Scramble' now, a bit too waffley in need of a better editor. Will persevere but he's also not as likeable a character as Geoffrey Wellum is.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series - so much wit, wisdom and sheer humanity in there
The Oxford English Dictionary - words are wonderful, so it's always good to know more of them
A good poetry compendium including TS Eliot, Yeates, Wordsworth ... and John Cooper Clarke
The Bible

Not necessarily in that order :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here