Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 3-5-2!!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I wanted him to try the 3-5-2 but I’m not convinced after that.

The positive was it freed up Schelotto but I thought we were more open than usual with players not sure of their positions.

I still think it was a mistake not to play a midfield three of Kayal, Stephens and Propper. If we stick to this formation again though I would hope Kayal replaces Stephens and Hunemeir replaces Duffy, it might look better then as Duffy and Stephens were awful.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

The positive was it freed up Schelotto but I thought we were more open than usual with players not sure of their positions.

I still think it was a mistake not to play a midfield three of Kayal, Stephens and Propper. If we stick to this formation again though I would hope Kayal replaces Stephens and Hunemeir replaces Duffy, it might look better then as Duffy and Stephens were awful.

Amen. Formation great idea. Duffy needs some time off. Thought Stephens got better as the game went on but really bad start from him.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Yep. Agreed.
Though I wouldn't drop Dale as we have no-one else to play that position.
We were far, far, too open and vulnerable. Wagner football.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Yep. Agreed.
Though I wouldn't drop Dale as we have no-one else to play that position.
We were far, far, too open and vulnerable. Wagner football.

Stephens has been poor most of the season and see no reason why Kayal wouldn’t be more effective alongside gross and proper.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm glad this thread exists as it shows that there were people who approved of the change and I'd hate CH to get too much stick. Me, however, cursed very loudly at the tv when I saw the formation, amazed after 150 games of playing 4 at the back he changes now, in a game where we had a real shot, and all my worst fears were realised by the keystone cops performance of the first ten minutes. What a shame our usual side wasn't given a run at them.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I'm glad this thread exists as it shows that there were people who approved of the change and I'd hate CH to get too much stick. Me, however, cursed very loudly at the tv when I saw the formation, amazed after 150 games of playing 4 at the back he changes now, in a game where we had a real shot, and all my worst fears were realised by the keystone cops performance of the first ten minutes. What a shame our usual side wasn't given a run at them.

The usual side that played so damn ineptly at West Brom last week? We looked a relegated side last weekend, the team needed a bloody good shake up and I applaud CH for attempting a bold change against the PL champions. There was a lot of positives from our offensive play today. Maybe this is the way forward particularly with Locadia up front.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am amazed by all the negative comments when we have just played as well as we have and created lots of opportunities , possibly more chances than in any game this season?. Another day and certainly another ref and who knows what might have happened.

It didn't work to day because Hazard and William decided they were going to play today and they ripped us apart and they would have damaged us whatever the formation , we might have kept the score lower by using the 4411 format but we would not have scored against them.

So if you want to try this , would you want to try it against Stoke or Southampton where the points or denying of points is vital or in a game you probably have written off the points before it started. I know which game I would chose.

To me the problem was the choices made up the field , I would have started with Kayal , Proper & Stephens to give you a decent midfield.

I would have for pace up March/Izquierdo/Baldock/AK and jettison the reliance on a slow hold up man. Gross could play up front he knows where the net is but is a bit slower than the other 4 named.

IF we do revert to 4 at the back Goldson must play instead of Duffy, whilst the latter is betetr in teh air he is not as good in his all round game.
s we have not been able to rest of the Chelsea team were pretty ordinary.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I am amazed by all the negative comments when we have just played as well as we have and created lots of opportunities , possibly more chances than in any game this season?. Another day and certainly another ref and who knows what might have happened.

It didn't work to day because Hazard and William decided they were going to play today and they ripped us apart and they would have damaged us whatever the formation , we might have kept the score lower by using the 4411 format but we would not have scored against them.

So if you want to try this , would you want to try it against Stoke or Southampton where the points or denying of points is vital or in a game you probably have written off the points before it started. I know which game I would chose.

To me the problem was the choices made up the field , I would have started with Kayal , Proper & Stephens to give you a decent midfield.

I would have for pace up March/Izquierdo/Baldock/AK and jettison the reliance on a slow hold up man. Gross could play up front he knows where the net is but is a bit slower than the other 4 named.

IF we do revert to 4 at the back Goldson must play instead of Duffy, whilst the latter is betetr in teh air he is not as good in his all round game.

You are 'amazed' at the negativity ... that is a regular feature on NSC?!? :wink:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

But the reason those two looked like absolute world beaters today was because they were always running at centre backs. That is the formation, you cannot just ignore that.

So a less attacking midfield, with Baldock/March/Izquierdo/AK and Gross upfront? Now I know you are joking. That is potentially a 5-5-0 formation. Or 5-4-1 with Baldock against 3 centre backs :nono: Not for me.

Agreed here though, Duffy in the team if we are playing a team with a big man up top, so pretty much no one. Goldson the rest of the time.

For me the central midfield three got forward a lot better today, however, they are the same central midfield three as play in every game in the old formation. So no reason they cannot be more positive from within the defensive system that has been relatively successful so far this season. I would consider Gross wide right or left away from home though.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
To have created so many opportunities against a top 6 team, should have had at least 2 penalties (Duffy being held by Alonso would have been a third), and still not score is a travesty.

Admittedly I wasn’t too keen of trying a new formation against a Team of Chelsea’s caliber, and despite the first 10 and last 10, we had a real go - something we haven’t done in these “free hit” games in the past. Yes mistakes were made, but the back three can and will play better. Gross in the middle is a bit perplexing as he is so slow. Having kayal in there with a bit more tempo will improve us even more. And I thought that was sollys best game This season.

KTF.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The usual side that played so damn ineptly at West Brom last week? We looked a relegated side last weekend, the team needed a bloody good shake up and I applaud CH for attempting a bold change against the PL champions. There was a lot of positives from our offensive play today. Maybe this is the way forward particularly with Locadia up front.

to be fair I didn't watch that game, or the Huddersfield one, or the Leicester one. But I did watch all of our other games when they played pretty well. Anyway, this formation isn't for me, but if they prove me wrong, great!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here