Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you hate Palace?

Do you hate Palace?

• Yes, I HATE them. It's in my BHA DNA and nothing will change that.

Votes: 183 58.3%
  • Yeah, I hate them. My mates do, and so do I although I'm not sure why

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • About as much as any other team we're playing on any given day

Votes: 66 21.0%
  • No, it's all nonsense. I thought we'd moved on from this outdated football idiocy.

Votes: 50 15.9%
  • No, I LOVE them. They're my second team who I like to watch if I can't watch the mighty Albion.

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters

el punal

Agreed. It is a crap poll. Only an idiot would tick option 2, which basically says 'I am a brainless sheep'.

Personally I would take 2 defeats to them this sason if we nevertheless finish above them in the league.

An interesting conundrum here (I think it is?), one for the Palace haters. If the Albion were fighting relegation and it came down to the last game of the season and for us to remain in the Premier League Palace had to beat a relegation rival for us to survive, would you take it? Now that would lead to troubled conscience methinks.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I LOVE them and I want to treat as many of them to bum-sex as I can when they come down.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I LOVE them and I want to treat as many of them to bum-sex as I can when they come down.

I really should not have laughed out loud at that . . . .

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
your post is laughable im not sure where you get off with your attitude let me put you straight
a) there is not 13 league clubs closer than palarce with any relevant history of actual rivalry
b) all things have a starting point and it is very far from artificial
c) manufactured- Leeds have as many geographic rivals as palarce- but historically Chelsea are a team they love to hate
d) desperate - we have an identity and we have had many rivals down the years and are still gaining new ones

would you mind saying how old you are ? The guy you're slagging off has made valid points that only a senior supporter would know.
e) does the mutual animosity scare you
you come across like a worried child concerned about items you cant change, "chuckle behind their hands and pour scorn"--REALLY ?
This wont go away both sides wont let it .
Football is a odd thing more important then life and death, that is why animosity turns to hatred and violence--because it matters !

would you mind saying how old you are ? The guy you're slagging off has made valid points that only a senior supporter would know.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Its the last game of the season and Palace are playing the team one point below us, if they lose we go down, if they draw we go down, but if they win we stay up. Who do you want to win?
Whilst there was always a rivalry between our teams it seemed to intensify when Malcolm Alison was their manager and we played them in the cup, if I remember correctly and at Stamford Bridge? There was a particular referee who gave some very dodgy decisions against us whose name was, never to be forgotten, Ron Challis. It stemmed from there from memory, many posters will not recall this but I'm sure some will.

' we hate Challis and we hate Challis, we are the Chalis haters' as the song used to go in the North Stand.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Most of the time It's a pantomime hatred with a bit of banter thrown in for good measure..

....But there are times (playoff semi-final) when I genuinely despise them, to a much higher degree than is reasonable for a 50 year old man.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
" New age happy clappy "............what a load of baloney.
How long have you been going to football? Did you grow up with all the shit that went with the 60's and 70's? The sickening gratuitous violence. The terrible facilities and general discomfort of going to football. Tightly packed, odour-stenched terraces. Overflowing toilets, crumbling grounds and a simmering undercurrent of trouble wherever you went.
Football thrives on rivalry but not on hate. If you lived through that era, you would have done your football education and be grateful for what you have now.

Yes I did and oh mind your own business. I'll hate whoever I choose to. I have no intention of telling you how to form your opinions so who are you to tell me? I wouldn't go back to the violence but other than that I preferred football back then to the sanitised middle class business it is now, but that's just my opinion...

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I hate palace when we play them.
Just dislike them other times.
The problem is over the last 25 years we have rarely played each other meaning that when we do play each other it is more intense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We are all football fans and we have something in common. We would have thought we could be civilised.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, the pub landlord knows better and calls the Police before it kicks off.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Does the Pope shit in the woods?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
your post is laughable im not sure where you get off with your attitude let me put you straight
a) there is not 13 league clubs closer than palarce with any relevant history of actual rivalry
b) all things have a starting point and it is very far from artificial
c) manufactured- Leeds have as many geographic rivals as palarce- but historically Chelsea are a team they love to hate
d) desperate - we have an identity and we have had many rivals down the years and are still gaining new ones
e) does the mutual animosity scare you
you come across like a worried child concerned about items you cant change, "chuckle behind their hands and pour scorn"--REALLY ?
This wont go away both sides wont let it .
Football is a odd thing more important then life and death, that is why animosity turns to hatred and violence--because it matters !

a) I was stating the fact that, geographically, there are 13 league clubs nearer to Palace than us. I made no mention of rivalries, although there is clearly bad feeling between both Charlton and Millwall v Palace.
b) Fans will argue til they are blue in the face as to whether it grew naturally/organically or was contrived. I am in the latter camp, others will think differently.
c) Comparing Leeds to our situation with Palace is a poor example. Leeds were one of the biggest clubs in Europe for years and became the team to hate in this country. Their single biggest rivalry is with Man Utd. Pure hatred. Other clubs dislike Leeds as well, including Chelsea ( 1970 Cup Final ) and Sheff Wed, in particular. There is general and widespread dislike of Leeds, borne out of a mixture of envy, attitude and achievement.
d) Of course we have an identity but my argument, like it or not, is that we are naturally neutral as a club. What are the rivalries you refer to and how many are really serious?...Pompey, Swindon, Reading, Luton, Chesterfield, etc....we have had spells where they were at the forefront, briefly, but not anymore and who are the new different rivals?
e) No mutual animosity scares me. I guarantee that in 50+ years of supporting BHA, I have been to Selhurst Park more times than yourself. Whatever figure you come up with, I can add at least 10 to it. I have drunk in Palace pubs. I know Palace fans. I have drunk in solid Millwall pubs and been to the Old Den countless times and even stood alongside diehard Lions. Been attacked on terraces, seen mates punched to the ground, fought back, been chased to railway stations and been stoned with bricks and bottles.
f) Certainly not a worried child, just a mature fan who pre-dates the rivalry and who struggles to embrace it. I can't help it. It just doesn't sit naturally with me. I'm not alone. Read these threads. I know we are in the minority but hey ho, we are entitled to our opinion, as you are to yours.
I've seen enough hatred and violence in football to last two lifetimes. When I was younger, I got wrapped up in too much of it. The adrenalin kicked in. It does when you are adolescent. I don't crave it now and I certainly don't go looking for it. I dislike the nastiness in our relationship with Palace. Its grubby and ugly and I avoid it. My choice.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Hate is not the word i would use, rivalry is. I have 4 or 5 Palace friends, including one life long mate and boy do we banter, but nothing more. Yes love it when they lose. I have for the last 2 years, most games bet on Palace to lose, so as you can imagine quids in. I really not understand the hatred and violence, surely if you support a different team does that mean that I want to beat them up? Very strange. The big debates and things we can never agree on are:
1.Zaha is a cheat
2.Selhurst is the pits
3.Poogate and no apology
4.Their very strange chairman on twitter all the time.
5.Drummers, goal music, cardboard cut display, T shirt cannon, Chavs and fans only turn up in prem.

Their rants are:

1. We are plastic fans
2. they hate our ground (jealous)
3. Clappers (think we have only used them twice)
4.We are only here due to Bloom (true)

But rather spend time with this lot than other football fans, as we share fun, drinks and stories and never felt the word hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Couple of things here. Firstly, Selhurst Park IS in London, SE25 to be precise, not Croydon which is a CR postcode. Secondly, as a matter of interest, did you go to any of the Albion/Palace games when the rivalry kicked off (literally) back in the 1970s? If yes, which ones and we can compare notes.

I was there in the 70's yes, born in 63 allowed me to learn at the earliest games I could go to, and then join in once my parents let me go on my own.

Happy happy days, and once the latter teenage years kicked in there was not a better feeling waking on a Saturday morning knowing we would try and take over their patch away and they would try and take over ours.

el punal

I was there in the 70's yes, born in 63 allowed me to learn at the earliest games I could go to, and then join in once my parents let me go on my own.

Happy happy days, and once the latter teenage years kicked in there was not a better feeling waking on a Saturday morning knowing we would try and take over their patch away and they would try and take over ours.

Yes, definitely hostile in those days. I had to hold back my girlfriend at the time from lamping a Palace fan who was giving the 'Billy Big Bollocks' after we 'lost' to Palace at Stamford Bridge. So impressed was I that I married her! :love:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Yes, definitely hostile in those days. I had to hold back my girlfriend at the time from lamping a Palace fan who was giving the 'Billy Big Bollocks' after we 'lost' to Palace at Stamford Bridge. So impressed was I that I married her! :love:

Top Top Bird then.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Where is the option for, 'Who the **** are Palace?'

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports