Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fallout 4

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Anyone got to the grips with new perks/SPECIAL system yet? That chart thing is confusing the hell out of me.

It was odd at first, but it's so easy.

You've got your initial SPECIAL levels from left to right (top row).
They are maxed out at 10 points (10 stars).
Once you've got 10 stars in one of the top row SPECIAL's, the perk immediately below your maxed SPECIAL will become available.
So you can start selecting perks below your maxed SPECIAL each time you level up.

Does that help? Confused myself writing that tbh!

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005

Once you've got 10 stars in one of the top row SPECIAL's, the perk immediately below your maxed SPECIAL will become available.
So you can start selecting perks below your maxed SPECIAL each time you level up.

The top initial SPECIAL levels don't need to be maxed to unlock below as I've unlocked a couple below with the top one at 7 or 8 stars. They are greyed out until you have a point to spend and select them. Agree, it really isn't very clear! Hope that makes sense and helps :)

Am loving the game, not at Diamond City yet, quest is open so will haul arse there shortly.
Spent ages pimping the first base, as I'm a nerd I really like the scavenging/building aspect to it too!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The top initial SPECIAL levels don't need to be maxed to unlock below as I've unlocked a couple below with the top one at 7 or 8 stars. They are greyed out until you have a point to spend and select them. Agree, it really isn't very clear! Hope that makes sense and helps :)

Am loving the game, not at Diamond City yet, quest is open so will haul arse there shortly.
Spent ages pimping the first base, as I'm a nerd I really like the scavenging/building aspect to it too!

Thanks for clarifying, I didn't realise that.

Also, what quest are you currently on?
I tried 'The First Step' but couldn't take out the guys at the Corvega Assembly Plant.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012

Ahhh ok! Got it. I think. So basically, once each SPECIAL stat is at 10 (or close enough, thanks [MENTION=3653]lizard[/MENTION]), I can then start going down to the perks and boosting them...? I was confused as hell last night because it would give me the option to go to all of them and increase the stars without being able to save it (hope this is making sense).

Also, as they all say "Lv1" etc down to 10, I assumed as you level up you can increase them but again, soon as I was level 2 I tried to add them to no avail.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Ahhh ok! Got it. I think. So basically, once each SPECIAL stat is at 10 (or close enough, thanks [MENTION=3653]lizard[/MENTION]), I can then start going down to the perks and boosting them...? I was confused as hell last night because it would give me the option to go to all of them and increase the stars without being able to save it (hope this is making sense).

Also, as they all say "Lv1" etc down to 10, I assumed as you level up you can increase them but again, soon as I was level 2 I tried to add them to no avail.

Yeah I think you've pretty much got it. Not sure what you mean in your last para though, I'll probably be able to figure that out when I'm back on the game.

What level are you currently at and what mission are you on?
Just looking at guides for my current quest (mentioned in my above post) and it's just so tough! I think I need to get some better armour and guns before I attempt it again.
Not putting the difficulty down!

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Yeah I think you've pretty much got it. Not sure what you mean in your last para though, I'll probably be able to figure that out when I'm back on the game.

What level are you currently at and what mission are you on?
Just looking at guides for my current quest (mentioned in my above post) and it's just so tough! I think I need to get some better armour and guns before I attempt it again.
Not putting the difficulty down!

kpf3u7d91vnaaz0bflyi.jpg

So you see down the left hand side the levels? Do they relate to the level you're at within the game? The perks are all greyed at for me (although most of my SPECIALS are 3/4/5 thus far)

I've hardly played much so still at level 2, I explored Sanctuary so much last night I decided to save at the Red Rocket as I had work early today :lolol:

Cheers for the help!

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Also am I correct in thinking they've done away with Karma, weapon repair and now you can throw away/sell perk magazines once you've read them?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
View attachment 69911

So you see down the left hand side the levels? Do they relate to the level you're at within the game? The perks are all greyed at for me (although most of my SPECIALS are 3/4/5 thus far)

I've hardly played much so still at level 2, I explored Sanctuary so much last night I decided to save at the Red Rocket as I had work early today :lolol:

Cheers for the help!

I don't think they relate to your game levels, more your SPECIAL levels.
So I think once you get 10 stars on your initial SPECIAL, you can then 'level up' each perk within your row from levels 1 to 10.

I'm at Level 6 after about 5 hours, but I initially maxed out my Intelligence level so I gain exp quicker (I think?).
I've just got into Diamond City and have just about started the proper story, but I'm determined to go back to the last quest and finish that, it's just so tough!

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Thanks for clarifying, I didn't realise that.

Also, what quest are you currently on?
I tried 'The First Step' but couldn't take out the guys at the Corvega Assembly Plant.

I'm at Sanctuary with the 5 people and have spent quite a lot of time rebuilding it with a fortress entrance at the bridge etc. Haven't left from there yet with the exception of exploring in the hills and wiping out a couple of raider camps. Need some circuit boards and nuclear material to further build my masterpiece.
Am just about to leave work and get back onto the game, will probably follow quests to Diamond City as the general consensus seems to be that's where it really starts!
Not a clue about Corvega Assembly Plant just yet, have you tried it wearing the power armour maybe? Will update if I get much further :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So... I've set up sanctuary, demolished a few houses - restored my old home to its (almost) former glory. Had a pop at building a new home from scratch, but not quite got the hang of that yet, so heading on my way for further exploration.

Follow me, Codsworth...

Did you drag a workshop thingy round with you so you could go into workshop mode close enough to each of the houses? Seen an amazing settlement someone has already done online where they have pretty much closed off a whole half of Sanctuary to make one big walled compound.

I don't think they relate to your game levels, more your SPECIAL levels.
So I think once you get 10 stars on your initial SPECIAL, you can then 'level up' each perk within your row from levels 1 to 10.

I'm at Level 6 after about 5 hours, but I initially maxed out my Intelligence level so I gain exp quicker (I think?).
I've just got into Diamond City and have just about started the proper story, but I'm determined to go back to the last quest and finish that, it's just so tough!

I've not started playing yet (hoping to get a couple of hours in this evening!) but my understanding of the leveling is this;

At the start, you get 21 points to allocate. These can be added to SPECIAL scores (essentially attributes, which all start at 1 on a scale of 1-10), or used to purchase perks. Each level that you gain subsequently gives you one point to spent either on your attributes or another perk.
Each perk has a required SPECIAL score - so in the chart [MENTION=25244]Puppet Master[/MENTION] attached, you need one point in the relevant SPECIAL attribute to be able to purchase the Level 1 perk, two points to be able to purchase the Level 2 perk, etc.
Most perks have more than one stage to them, and each additional stage has higher requirements - so buying the second stage of Level 1 perk will require a higher score in the relevant SPECIAL attribute, plus a minimum level requirement.
The game has no level cap, so play for long enough and you can theoretically max out all SPECIAL scores and buy all stages of all attributes - although I assume that the levelling curve will get steep enough to make that require a hell of a lot of game play!

edit to add: more info on the requirements for the various perks can be found in this character build planner that I found.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I've not started playing yet (hoping to get a couple of hours in this evening!) but my understanding of the leveling is this;

At the start, you get 21 points to allocate. These can be added to SPECIAL scores (essentially attributes, which all start at 1 on a scale of 1-10), or used to purchase perks. Each level that you gain subsequently gives you one point to spent either on your attributes or another perk.
Each perk has a required SPECIAL score - so in the chart [MENTION=25244]Puppet Master[/MENTION] attached, you need one point in the relevant SPECIAL attribute to be able to purchase the Level 1 perk, two points to be able to purchase the Level 2 perk, etc.
Most perks have more than one stage to them, and each additional stage has higher requirements - so buying the second stage of Level 1 perk will require a higher score in the relevant SPECIAL attribute, plus a minimum level requirement.
The game has no level cap, so play for long enough and you can theoretically max out all SPECIAL scores and buy all stages of all attributes - although I assume that the levelling curve will get steep enough to make that require a hell of a lot of game play!

edit to add: more info on the requirements for the various perks can be found in this character build planner that I found.

I don't think that's it either. I've got more than one point in every SPECIAL attribute (obviously, as you get 21 to allocate at the beginning - and not on perks, just the attributes btw) and am at level 2 as I mentioned, but I can't seem to choose any perks :/ or are they already selected for me? I'm not yet home so I'm probably just being dumb but will check again later.

It really is a confusing system and my one bug bear so far, I wish they'd just stuck with the trusty "Level up and choose a perk" system.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I'm worried I'll buy it and never get past the hours I'll no doubt spend in the character design section. I'm almost at the final quest in ESO (which again I spent hours designing my character in...) - once completed I imagine I'll splash out on Fallout 4...

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Think I've cracked it now:

Some of the less subtle changes might overwhelm players at first, especially when it comes to leveling. A separate system for S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats, skills, and perks are gone, replaced entirely by one uniform perk tree. Whenever you level up, you gain a single point that can be invested in one of your main governing statistics – strength, charisma, agility, etc. – or the perks associated with those stats.

If you want to unlock the ability to survive off human flesh, for example, you’ll need a certain amount of points in endurance first. Likewise, if you want special abilities tied to melee combat, you’ll need a high enough strength stat. Without separate skill points, it becomes more important to level up your S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats, and make some forward-looking plans based on what perks you want to unlock.

While a shocker at first, I’ve grown to love the new leveling system. Having everything streamlined into one unified skill tree makes sense, and it’s made gaining experience a more fun endeavor for me. Every perk has several levels, often leading to big rewards in exchange for dedicated points investment. Fortune Finder, for instance, not only allows you to find more bottlecaps around the world, but it offers a chance for enemies to explode in a shower of them during combat at its highest level.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/11/fallout-4-review-s-p-e-c-i-a-l/

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Apologies, I got the levelling system wrong!!

Just figured it out (as I've levelled up!).

From Left to Right you have your basic SPECIAL stats.
Vertically on the left side, you have L01 - L10
Each column corresponds to it's SPECIAL stat along the top row.

You can unlock any perk, just as long as you have enough stars in your original SPECIAL stat.

For example, I can upgrade ANY Intelligence Perk even L10 as I have 10 stars within Intelligence.
I can only upgrade UP TO L03 Strength as I only have 3 stars in Strength.
I can only upgrade L01 Luck as I only have 1 star in Luck.

Hope the above makes sense to everyone, that should hopefully clear all issues and confusion among us!

Edit: And you can obviously choose to increase your SPECIAL 'star level' any time, which will in-turn, enable you to use a higher level perk below your desired SPECIAL stat.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Great game, only problem I had was it was locked on 30 FPS! had to change a file in the Fallout4Pref.ini file, now 70/80 FPS MUCH smoother the play now. Also has anyone managed to get sli/crossfire to work? according to hw monitor I am only using 1 of my GPU'S?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Has anyone been playing it on Xbox One at all?

I've heard worrying things but I'm not sure whether it's people being overly critical and not making the normal allowances that a Bethesda game needs or whether it really is a bit jittery.

As I've got to wait until tomorrow this is torture.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Has anyone been playing it on Xbox One at all?

I've heard worrying things but I'm not sure whether it's people being overly critical and not making the normal allowances that a Bethesda game needs or whether it really is a bit jittery.

As I've got to wait until tomorrow this is torture.

Yeah I'm on the Xbox One.
No issues other than the standard buggy stuff you see in Fallout games.
Frame rate is fine. I've watched a couple of PC/PS4/X1 comparison videos for Fallout 4.
PC obviously comes out on top by a long way, the game looks average at best on PS4 & X1 with no noticeable difference.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah I'm on the Xbox One.
No issues other than the standard buggy stuff you see in Fallout games.
Frame rate is fine. I've watched a couple of PC/PS4/X1 comparison videos for Fallout 4.
PC obviously comes out on top by a long way, the game looks average at best on PS4 & X1 with no noticeable difference.

Excellent stuff, I'm more than willing to accept the normal bugs that Bethesda games suffer from. Skyrim, Oblivion and Fallout 3 were all huge games so to not have any issues would be borderline impossible.

I'm now just waiting for that Friday feeling. I'm sure time has slowed down just to spite me.

Sulcy

Sep 23, 2015
Yeah there's nothing more than the occasional framerate drop and a few bugs but nothing to worry about!

It's definitely worth the wait!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here