Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leeds owner calls for Premier League 2

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Oh how my heart bleeds. If a club is properly run from top to bottom (like us!)

You are aware of our debts when we got promoted, right?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
He has a point though - In the UK, some championship games pull in bigger audiences than some PL games. Even the avg PL game pulls approximately 2.5x the championship audience (again, in the UK) so it just doesn't look like the EFL are able to negotiate a good deal.

One should always remember how important the pyramid is to the sell of the PL - The big 5 or 6 clubs do seem to forget that....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bolton (Gartside) suggested a closed door PL, rather than PL2.

Leeds never proposed PL2 when they were in L1, so far as I can recall.

I don't have any issue with PL2 , so long as there is still promotion / relegation from the league below, but don't really see how it changes anything? Will any TV company will be queuing up to throw money at what is essentially just another rebranding of Division Two?

This, what would it be other than a glorified name change?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

This is the stick the Palace goonsquad like to repeat ad-infinitum. But it completely fails to acknowledge the fact that an interest-free debt to Tony Bloom is vastly different from a debt to another bank or outside financial institution.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
His proposals will probably be for something like two 16-team PL divisions, cutting off the Championship CHAFF, and probably to pull up the trap-door. Same old selfish greed that we've heard fifty times before, that would ultimately kill off half of the clubs in the country.

That said, I doubt there is an owner in British football who knows more about TV rights than Radzziani. Maybe he has a workable plan, that doesn't shit on the lower divisions.
Still doesn't solve the problem of the split of the TV money pot. You've now got 32 teams all wanting a slice of a pie that is currently shared by just 20 teams. How do you divvy it up? And do you think the PL will actually want to share their riches with another 12 teams? (That alone means the idea is probably a non-starter).

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Once the inevitable European Super League has been established he will get his wish but there will be far less money to spread around the remnants of the Premier League/Championship when SKY/BT re-negotiate the TV packages.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Surely the point of this, from a financial point of view, is not that it would make loads more money (though being marketed as the premier league 2 might mean it would make a bit more), it is that has broken away from the football league. This would mean that whatever TV revenue it does make doesn’t have to be shared with the rest of the football league in the same way.

This mirrors the reason for the creation of the premier league.

My guess is that there would be quite a bit of support among bigger championship clubs (who’ll undoubtedly start going on about Rangers and Celtic as well). As ever, the problem will be how to convince the bottom half of the division who would stand to lose out hugely if they are relegated or demoted in order to reduce the number of clubs in the division.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This is the stick the Palace goonsquad like to repeat ad-infinitum. But it completely fails to acknowledge the fact that an interest-free debt to Tony Bloom is vastly different from a debt to another bank or outside financial institution.

So our operating costs were covered by our income? Correct?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It’s not inevitable. Though that’s what the big clubs keep saying in the hope it will be endlessly repeated and become a self-fulfilling prophecy

Once the inevitable European Super League has been established he will get his wish but there will be far less money to spread around the remnants of the Premier League/Championship when SKY/BT re-negotiate the TV packages.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

That's what I see as happening ... not a question of if but when.

When that time comes I suspect a huge lump of the overseas rights will disappear and the value of domestic rights will be slashed too. Whereas today clubs are guaranteed £100M I'd have thought they'd be lucky to get much more than a 10th of that

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It’s not inevitable. Though that’s what the big clubs keep saying in the hope it will be endlessly repeated and become a self-fulfilling prophecy

Don't you sometimes wish they'd just go and do it though? Leave the English league to return to some sort of sanity? I think the championship is the 4th most watched in Europe and most of the clubs in it are p1ssing money right left and centre, sad really.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Don't you sometimes wish they'd just go and do it though? Leave the English league to return to some sort of sanity? I think the championship is the 4th most watched in Europe and most of the clubs in it are p1ssing money right left and centre, sad really.

This all day long

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Premier League 2: This Time It's Personal

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So our operating costs were covered by our income? Correct?

No - any Championship club making a push for promotion will not have their operating costs covered by their income. Thats where Mr Bloom steps in.

Whats your point ?

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
His proposals will probably include removing the collective deal, its no accident he bought Leeds with his media background.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
His proposals will probably include removing the collective deal, its no accident he bought Leeds with his media background.

Of course - which is what the majority of people on this thread seem to miss out on. It’s nothing to do with just a name change. It’s the ability to breakaway from the current EFL deal and negotiate its own. I would be surprised if it didn’t end up with a lot more TV revenue than it does now if that happened.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Of course - which is what the majority of people on this thread seem to miss out on. It’s nothing to do with just a name change. It’s the ability to breakaway from the current EFL deal and negotiate its own. I would be surprised if it didn’t end up with a lot more TV revenue than it does now if that happened.

The collective deal in L1 & 2 is 'peanuts'. Even if you took it all away dividing that up between the Champ clubs isn't going to materially change their finances (or have I missed a key point?)

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
The collective deal in L1 & 2 is 'peanuts'. Even if you took it all away dividing that up between the Champ clubs isn't going to materially change their finances (or have I missed a key point?)
I dont think hes too worried about that, I suspect he wants complete control of Leeds TV revenue and to explore digital 'season tickets' PPV or screening on his own channels.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

It could be an interesting battle in a few years time if this breakaway happens.

Sky have already got some competition in the form of BT. If Amazon / Google whoever else decide to lump in significantly Sky could well find themselves with a lot of monied competition. At that point going in large on PL2 would likely be a feasible option.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

That was a calculated position taken by TB to get us promoted - huge difference being that it was his own money he was prepared to chuck at it. If we'd failed, I've no doubt at all the loan from TB would have been increased to fund them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here