Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Camera phone *****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Memories, I still got great vids form the Bell after the Wigan game on the phone and watch them every so often as it was a great day.

What happens if you get dementia later in life? No videos to watch of all the good times you had.

Embrace technology

If you get dementia how will you remember you filmed the Wigan pub scenes?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Memories, I still got great vids form the Bell after the Wigan game on the phone and watch them every so often as it was a great day.

What happens if you get dementia later in life? No videos to watch of all the good times you had.

Embrace technology

As an aside, it does question what we “remember” from events. For me it’s more the memory of how I felt as opposed to what I saw. And if dementia erases all of this so be it.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I think it is all part of the "look at how great my life is" Facebook culture. People today are so obsessed with trying to portray an interesting fun filled life by recording everything and uploading it to their social media accounts, but they are missing out on the immediate joy of real life. Put your camera phones away and start experiencing life in all its glory. Stop worrying about trying to impress others on Social media because they don't really care, they are too worried about how others are judging them to really give a toss.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Well with more artists (Jack White and The Pretenders come to mind) having a zero tolerance to recording/pics, then i personally think a happy medium would be where the band play the first number for picture taking and then after that no social media.

With social media being part of most peoples everyday life and in some respects feeds the popularity of lesser artists then i think a complete ban is a bit of a knee jerk reaction and maybe akin to King Canute trying to stop the sea coming in.

I still enjoy looking back at pictures of concerts that i have been too, but now limit it to a few pics at the start of the show and then put my camera away and immerse myself in the concert. As to videoing, then i think most of those are looked at by people on the way home from the concert and then forgotten about.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So I just got home from a fantasic night watching a brilliant Bowie tribute act at Concord 2 however I can't show you any of it as i didn't record it on my phone.....cos I'm not a ****ing pleb. Why to grown adults feel the need to badly record a small piece of life rather than living it? Do they think they will ever watch it back? Do they think they can relive the moment that they basically missed the first time by watching it on a small screen and blocking the view of the people behind? The average age of the crowd tonight was ****ing old, surely grown adults are beyond this sort of childest behaviour.

And it's not like is a one off never to missed moment, it's a ****ing tribute act who will be back in a couple of months, and as good as they were if you want to listen again, play an original Bowie album which would be better.

Some people were dancing, singing, clapping and really enjoying themselves while others stood motionless phone aloft capturing a grainy, poor quality video of the back of someone else's head.

Wankers

As you say, what sort of saddo records a gig by a tribute band anyway?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Berghain in Berlin has a no-photo policy for gigs and club nights. Similarly you will be asked to delete or leave.

Relatively easy to control in a small 1500 capacity venue like that. Impossible at the 20k O2, Hyde Park, Wembley, Glastonbury etc etc. Not gonna happen.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As an aside, it does question what we “remember” from events. For me it’s more the memory of how I felt as opposed to what I saw. And if dementia erases all of this so be it.

This is so true. Was chatting with a mate just last night about the Utd match last season. I remember all the fantastic feelings and going batshit mental when we scored, and at the end when we stayed up, but then my mate asked me who scored and I genuinely couldn't remember! Had to look it up

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Tour de France. People stand for hours on closed streets waiting for the riders to wizz by, and then all the do is film it. What then, go home and rewatch it to see what they missed?
But it is the same with any penalty at the Amex. Ref blows and out come all the phones (seats in front of me are sold per game).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is so true. Was chatting with a mate just last night about the Utd match last season. I remember all the fantastic feelings and going batshit mental when we scored, and at the end when we stayed up, but then my mate asked me who scored and I genuinely couldn't remember! Had to look it up

Totally agree. One of my favourite games in the promotion season was the Sheffield Wednesday game, the Friday night game where everything swung around from us on the bring of going behind with a player less to winning the game with a player more at the dying end. My over riding memory of this game is the energy I left the game with, the belief this was now our season, and meeting my similary energised and believing friends in The Evening Star. I also remember the feeling of getting up at 9am after 5 hours sleep, a raging hangover and having to fly to France. I don’t need a YouTube clip to bring any of this back.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
So I just got home from a fantasic night watching a brilliant Bowie tribute act at Concord 2 however I can't show you any of it as i didn't record it on my phone.....cos I'm not a ****ing pleb. Why to grown adults feel the need to badly record a small piece of life rather than living it? Do they think they will ever watch it back? Do they think they can relive the moment that they basically missed the first time by watching it on a small screen and blocking the view of the people behind? The average age of the crowd tonight was ****ing old, surely grown adults are beyond this sort of childest behaviour.

And it's not like is a one off never to missed moment, it's a ****ing tribute act who will be back in a couple of months, and as good as they were if you want to listen again, play an original Bowie album which would be better.

Some people were dancing, singing, clapping and really enjoying themselves while others stood motionless phone aloft capturing a grainy, poor quality video of the back of someone else's head.

Wankers

What was the guy in the ticket office like?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So the picture quality is usually dreadful (out of focus, bouncing up and down, lighting contrast all over the place), the sound booms and is impossible to hear properly.

Does anyone ever look at most the videos and photos they have taken, or do they just moulder away taking up space.

Life is for living, not through some second hand vicarious video clip.

On my walk to and from work I keep bouncing off crowds of tourists who insist on recording everything, and don't look where they going. They don't actually "see" anything, just stare at their phones.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Putting camera phones aside. Why is everyone going to see tribute bands?

I've been dragged to see a couple and can't understand why everyone's reaction isn't 'Why is that bloke pretending to be ........?'

I liked 'Stars In Their Eyes' as much as anyone, but the game was: guess who they are, listen to the first line to see if they got close to the voice, move on to the next act. Why would anyone want to sit through a whole evening of one of them? Why would musicians want to spend their lives being replicas of someone else rather than doing their own stuff?

Some of these acts are now playing venues bigger than real bands! They have merchandise! People are walking around in t-shirts, not celebrating their heroes, but celebrating people who do impressions of their heroes! It's like being a fan of Harold Wilson and wearing a Mike Yarwood t-shirt.

When I was a kid the music papers were full of ads for bands that were touring and might be coming near you. Now they're full of ads for tributes to the same bands playing the same sized venues. Where can the new bands play? Pop has eaten itself. (I've checked, I'm pleased to say there isn't).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Putting camera phones aside. Why is everyone going to see tribute bands?

I've been dragged to see a couple and can't understand why everyone's reaction isn't 'Why is that bloke pretending to be ........?'

I liked 'Stars In Their Eyes' as much as anyone, but the game was: guess who they are, listen to the first line to see if they got close to the voice, move on to the next act. Why would anyone want to sit through a whole evening of one of them? Why would musicians want to spend their lives being replicas of someone else rather than doing their own stuff?

Some of these acts are now playing venues bigger than real bands! They have merchandise! People are walking around in t-shirts, not celebrating their heroes, but celebrating people who do impressions of their heroes! It's like being a fan of Harold Wilson and wearing a Mike Yarwood t-shirt.

When I was a kid the music papers were full of ads for bands that were touring and might be coming near you. Now they're full of ads for tributes to the same bands playing the same sized venues. Where can the new bands play? Pop has eaten itself. (I've checked, I'm pleased to say there isn't).

I get where you’re coming from but if a band and crowd gets enjoyment from knocking out some cover tunes so be it. And in the US many many artists started out in cover bands; it’s the apprenticeship for guitarists.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
W*nker here. I go to see tribute acts and take pictures as well so that might make me a big w*nker .

Let's get the picture thing out of the way first, I take pictures of a lot of things, it is a hobby so taking pictures at a gig is no different for me , it is a challenge. I try to be discrete, stood at the side etc, camera held at face height.... If some people are waving their hands around with a camera phone in it well so be it, there were a lot of people doing the same with or without objects e.g. empty pint glasses in their hands. It might be annoying to some but what about people who push in front, get pissed or move about too much etc. If people want to record and live their lives on Facebook then that is what they do.

The second bit is more important. Why a tribute band, maybe the question should be why not?

Cons - they are not the real artists, they have not created the music, in some cases they are poor and more of a parody.

Pros - they perform locally, in the case of the concorde 2 it is a small but excellent venue where the atmosphere is great and the acts are actually in touching distance (i.e.not have to view via a screen) often the groups have excellent musicians. They create a performance which people enjoy and its not the same as listening to the original album (must be vinyl not CD).

I have seen a few of these acts and would recommend the Illegal Eagles, Small Fakers, Absolute Bowie and From the Jam (which includes Bruce Foxton) as great entertainment.

And to p*ss off a few people
P1060501.JPG
P1060512.JPG
P1060562.JPG

Jul 7, 2003
It's like being a fan of Harold Wilson and wearing a Mike Yarwood t-shirt.

Great reference for the kids on here:)

Worse than phones at these events are the people who use full size tablets to record things. Even harder to see the act past these mini tv screens.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Great reference for the kids on here:)

Worse than phones at these events are the people who use full size tablets to record things. Even harder to see the act past these mini tv screens.

I started with David Beckham and Alistair Macgowan and thought 'That's a bit old hat, oh well, might as well own it.'

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I remember what thing Oasis at Wembley Stadium, a few years back.
Thought we had a great view, until these two 'oriental visitor/tourists' turned up, with the mother of all phones and started to record, much to the annoyance of all nearby.
Let's just say, it was the shortest recording of all time :lolol:

Watching, you illiterate ***** :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here