Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Just managed my longest run of 2017 so far. 10.3km in 1 hour 7 minutes over the Dyke. I was more interested in the distance than the pace. Thighs were burning on those hills though!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ran bevendean park run yesterday with my brother. He said it was quite hilly and he wasn't wrong. It's 2 and a bit loops round a field with resident cattle with a good half mile climb each time round. Only 43 runners and I can see why with the other options around. It hurts. I came second in 22:20 but won't be rushing back.
16 miles today and felt stronger the longer I ran. Finished with 3 quicker miles at the end.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Ran bevendean park run yesterday with my brother. He said it was quite hilly and he wasn't wrong. It's 2 and a bit loops round a field with resident cattle with a good half mile climb each time round. Only 43 runners and I can see why with the other options around. It hurts. I came second in 22:20 but won't be rushing back.
16 miles today and felt stronger the longer I ran. Finished with 3 quicker miles at the end.

Incredible time for that route :clap2::thumbsup:

I like it cos I used to live with one of the organisers but those hills are killers

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Great run. I'm still trying to summon up the courage to tackle this one

BTW I've heard rumours of a Peacehaven parkrun but no start date. Anyone know of this?

7 miler for me today.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
6 miles easy/2 harder yesterday followed by a round of golf, then 18 slow miles this morning on the back of a week travelling to and from Canada (plus a 5hr internal flight midweek) has left me barely able to type this without falling asleep. 48 mile week in the bag though, foot still bothersome but doesn't seem to be getting any worse so will have a bash at Seville marathon in a couple of weeks.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I'm out in Cyprus for the week so a 9 mile walk this morning then a nice ten mile run along the seafront at Paphos then 30 mins on the cross trainer when I got back to the Hotel
Temp out here is about 15 C so just right for running

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great run. I'm still trying to summon up the courage to tackle this one

BTW I've heard rumours of a Peacehaven parkrun but no start date. Anyone know of this?

7 miler for me today.

Definitely in the planning stages - some info here : https://community-fund.aviva.co.uk/voting/project/view/16-2764

There is also some stuff on the Seaford Striders (good local club) webpage : http://www.seafordstriders.org.uk/Newsite/support-the-new-peacehaven-parkrun/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dazzer's seen this on FB but my last 2 runs have been nightmares. Tried some tempo intervals on Weds lunchtime and couldn't do the tempo bit. Pain in both knees and right calf as soon as I accelerated. MUCH worse this morning. Tasked with 90 mins easy I felt my left knee and right calf as soon as i took off. Actually ran in a small block around my house in case it eased but after a mile at 11.33 in tremendous pain I gave up and went home.

Annoyingly it's definitely running that's doing it. Sitting here in no pain at all at the moment. Was able to watch / coach boys football this morning, help with passing drills and stretching but as soon as I jog or sprint the pain comes back.

Need to get to Jesus to see if this is the old reactive tendon injury in the knee but the calf is more worrying. Pain all the way down the front shin bone as soon as I run. Hoping that's not what i think it is.

90% sure I'll defer Brighton, run for fun when 100% and look at something in the autumn.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Been to physio for my adductor strain and it was an enormous help - good news is that I was able to do 9.5 km in 45 min yesterday. Not bad when I couldn't walk a few days back,

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Blimey - I've just opened this thread to say I was stopping my streak due to the pains in my knees and seen [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]'s post. Feeling his pain, literally.

My knees haven't been right and I've known that, but the discomfort has been manageable. At least I think it has. I like being out there running so much that maybe I've just been kidding myself. Or maybe even 20 miles a week is too much too soon.

All evening I've been sitting here intending to go out for a slow mile - just to keep the streak going, but that's just silly. I need to get myself sorted out properly. I'd like to have 30 or 40 years or running ahead of me, and what I'm doing at the moment isn't going to help me achieve that.

****ing legs.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Slow (for me) Horsham Park Run of 24 mins on Saturday but Achilles tendon very sore. Felt it last week when running 7 miles of roads around Horsham. I am not normally injured after 49 years of football / running / other sport so any advice appreciated on recovering from this type of injury.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Dazzer's seen this on FB but my last 2 runs have been nightmares. Tried some tempo intervals on Weds lunchtime and couldn't do the tempo bit. Pain in both knees and right calf as soon as I accelerated. MUCH worse this morning. Tasked with 90 mins easy I felt my left knee and right calf as soon as i took off. Actually ran in a small block around my house in case it eased but after a mile at 11.33 in tremendous pain I gave up and went home.
Thanks
Annoyingly it's definitely running that's doing it. Sitting here in no pain at all at the moment. Was able to watch / coach boys football this morning, help with passing drills and stretching but as soon as I jog or sprint the pain comes back.

Need to get to Jesus to see if this is the old reactive tendon injury in the knee but the calf is more worrying. Pain all the way down the front shin bone as soon as I run. Hoping that's not what i think it is.

90% sure I'll defer Brighton, run for fun when 100% and look at something in the autumn.

That does nt sound good - really sorry to hear this and hope Jesus can work his magic with you.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Slow (for me) Horsham Park Run of 24 mins on Saturday but Achilles tendon very sore. Felt it last week when running 7 miles of roads around Horsham. I am not normally injured after 49 years of football / running / other sport so any advice appreciated on recovering from this type of injury.

As you'll see from the other posts, we are no strangers to injury around these parts! As a fellow old git runner I can appreciate your particular pain. The bad news is that (in my experience) the Achilles soreness is something that doesn't 'mend' as such: once you've got it there's a danger of it becoming a constant companion. The good news is that it can be managed - so it's like a constant companion that kind of nags at you at a low level! Basically it's an inflammation. So as with any inflammation this first thing to do is not to inflame it any more. This means not running a parkrun after a 7 mile road run. It might help to get off the road too and look for more forgiving surfaces and maybe avoid hill and/or speed work.. You should aim for a complete rest at least for a while. Ice will help. I found that a roller helps but it hurts like crazy if you use it when the thing is inflamed so I'd wait for it to calm down first.. There's a whole bunch of stretches that you can do too - you can simply google for these.
You've done bloody well to avoid injury after so many years of active sport but sometimes (again personal experience here) it can make you a bit gung-ho. So if you want another 49 years of running (!) then you are right to be taking this one seriously and self-treat. Alternatively just book to see a physio; it might be a shrewd investment. Looking forward to hearing of a successful treatment and that you are getting your times down/distances up.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Sorry [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] not good news. As said yesterday better to get sorted 100% so deferring Brighton a tough decision but the right one. I did a newish route for me yesterday with 2 local mid sussex triathletes plus my marathon training partner. Quite a bit off road and a few tough hills. They are all quicker, better runners than me but they got me though just under 16 miles @ 10.20. It was a fantastic training run, possibly one i have enjoyed the most even with the mud and then the rain, even the hills were a challange rather than a problem! Up to 91 miles this month so will have find time for 9 miles today or tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/848350728

15.7mi
2:43:13
10:20/mi

Elevation
833ft
Calories

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] wise but difficult choice to defer BM. You're nowhere near last year's end of January fitness. 2016's machine is not functioning this year, sort out this tendinitis and I'll see you on the start line in 2018.
Although not his fault Paul cannot sort out the tendons linking my Achilles at the moment. Having had nothing but successful 1 session visits for over 12 years find this worrying.
Had a look at your FB and see you know Xavier. He certainly enlivened a party I was at last Summer eating all the vodka jellies (gelatin) for his vegan wife!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] not good news. As said yesterday better to get sorted 100% so deferring Brighton a tough decision but the right one. I did a newish route for me yesterday with 2 local mid sussex triathletes plus my marathon training partner. Quite a bit off road and a few tough hills. They are all quicker, better runners than me but they got me though just under 16 miles @ 10.20. It was a fantastic training run, possibly one i have enjoyed the most even with the mud and then the rain, even the hills were a challange rather than a problem! Up to 91 miles this month so will have find time for 9 miles today or tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/848350728

15.7mi
2:43:13
10:20/mi

Elevation
833ft
Calories

Having seen you at Cardiff game maybe Mr Skinny will need to replace Mr Blobby.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Suffering from a nasty cold this weekend so struggled through Parkrun in 22:33 and then pulled out of planned 14 miler on Sunday. Hopefully back on it next week.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Definitely in the planning stages - some info here : https://community-fund.aviva.co.uk/voting/project/view/16-2764

There is also some stuff on the Seaford Striders (good local club) webpage : http://www.seafordstriders.org.uk/Newsite/support-the-new-peacehaven-parkrun/

Thanks for this. Looks promising.

A quick and casual audit reveals that there are (many?) more crocks than non-crocks among our number at present. Perhaps this is the case all the time, but it does seem particularly bad right now. Not sure how to explain this although maybe some are the victims of commitments to run (and therefore train for) spring marathons? Or perhaps just plain old bad luck and coincidence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here