Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calde

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He is on a flight to Cyprus to SING a contract at APOEL in Cyprus with Orlandi, he was offered a 2 year deal at Swindon but turned them down

No chance any Championship club near here will sign him.

Neither of these are true according to this article in the Argus.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/146...p_deal___but_it_s_a_tough_summer/?ref=mr&lp=5

Calderon was speculatively linked to Charlton soon after the season ended. He has confirmed he has one offer from League One and is confident of another coming in from the Championship.

Meanwhile he is back in his home town of Vitoria in the Basque country while maintaining a base in Brighton.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I suspect he'll not sign anywhere before 1st August in order that he can pull in his last (bumper) month's salary from the Albion. And who can blame him?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
That's the worst bit for me... :eek:(
Same. I just picture him running around a dusty patch of grass, passing to himself and taking potshots at a practice goal on wheels whilst muttering encouragement softly to himself. I think I might get a bit teary if I continue to think about it :(

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Neither of these are true according to this article in the Argus.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/146...p_deal___but_it_s_a_tough_summer/?ref=mr&lp=5

Calderon was speculatively linked to Charlton soon after the season ended. He has confirmed he has one offer from League One and is confident of another coming in from the Championship.

Meanwhile he is back in his home town of Vitoria in the Basque country while maintaining a base in Brighton.

Let's just say I have an inside SAUCE and I gave proof to a MOD

He has signed for Anorthosis (not Apoel) in Cyprus.

This is great news for me as I am currently living in Cyprus!

Visions of baffled Anorthosis fans hearing a lone chant of "Inigo Calderon, he scores with his face"!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He has signed for Anorthosis (not Apoel) in Cyprus.

This is great news for me as I am currently living in Cyprus!

From their official website (translated from Greek to English)

Iñigo Calderón Zapatería for 1 + 1 years!

calderon-proponisi
The Anorthosis Famagusta announces the acquisition of the player Íñigo Calderón Zapatería.

The Spanish right rearguard, signed before a little contract with Anorthosis for a year, with the intention to renew for another. Already, the player - who is in Cyprus last night - has been integrated with our team and this time makes his first workout with blue white.

The Íñigo Calderón Zapatería began his career in his native Spain, the Academies of Deportivo Alaves. Then he had a three-year presence in Alicante, to return to the first team of Alaves for two years. In 2010 he moved to England, on behalf of the Brighton & Hove Albion. There was established for six years. Indeed, the period 2014-15 was voted "player of the year" for his club.

Plus, the Íñigo will be racing under the colors of Anorthosis where the wish to have a year full of successes!

Andrea Orlandi played for them last season and has just left to join the Cypriot Champions

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fantastic. Really happy that he's now sorted out a new club.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If that's where he wants to play, then of course I'm delighted for him. After all he did for us, he had the right to go off and play for Mile Oak Reserves if thats what floated his boat.

However, it has to be said that I think he is better than this, and had he been prepared to wait, could have probably found another club in the Championship, or League One.

Still, good luck playing back in the sun Calde.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
If that's where he wants to play, then of course I'm delighted for him. After all he did for us, he had the right to go off and play for Mile Oak Reserves if thats what floated his boat.

However, it has to be said that I think he is better than this, and had he been prepared to wait, could have probably found another club in the Championship, or League One.

I suspect it's more along the lines of being near his 'brother'.

That, and Anorthosis' traditional kit is blue and white stripes.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011

Probably would not get a 2 year contact over here, which is what he has over there..

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Reasonable chance of Europa League or even CL football next season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He should do well in Cyprus as the standard is not very good but the climate is brilliant. I would say the general standard is about Div 1 or 2 in England with no long travelling to away games. According to Radio Sussex signed 1 year contract with an option of a 2nd. Not joining Orlandi as left Anorthosis and joined Apoel in June for 1 year so says wiki. Good luck to him though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Reasonable chance of Europa League or even CL football next season

For one round? Yes he got a two year deal, while any English club would probably have only given him one, but salary wise I'm sure he would have been better off staying on our shores.

But still, as l said in a previous post, he has earned the right to play anywhere that he wants to.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He should do well in Cyprus as the standard is not very good but the climate is brilliant. I would say the general standard is about Div 1 or 2 in England with no long travelling to away games. According to Radio Sussex signed 1 year contract with an option of a 2nd. Not joining Orlandi as left Anorthosis and joined Apoel in June for 1 year so says wiki. Good luck to him though.

I saw a league game in Cyprus about five years ago whilst on holiday there. Polis were at home to somebody, l can't remember who. As you say the standard of football wasn't brilliant, but the game that l watched attracted a crowd of a fair few hundred, despite the fact that they play in division three.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here