Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best start ever ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Wasn't the season we won league 1 a very similar start to this campaign?

I'm not sure but we didn't go top until late September. I don't often remember much about footie games but I sort of remember the moment that we went top of league one - we were drawing with Oldham (?) at home and Peterborough had taken a lead at their place to go first. A late, late goal by Sandaza - a great goalmouth scramble - put us top and we never left it for the rest of the season. I remember singing "We are top of the league" as we left the family stand that day.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Going slightly O/T has anyone ever beaten Reading's record of 12 (?) straight wins at the start of a season, many moons ago?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm not sure but we didn't go top until late September. I don't often remember much about footie games but I sort of remember the moment that we went top of league one - we were drawing with Oldham (?) at home and Peterborough had taken a lead at their place to go first. A late, late goal by Sandaza - a great goalmouth scramble - put us top and we never left it for the rest of the season. I remember singing "We are top of the league" as we left the family stand that day.

25th September 2010 I took this picture

313jbm1.jpg

We didn't move from that spot all season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I remember that through August into September we were around 4th to 5th, but for some reason with a game in hand for much of the time, so very much 'under the radar'.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
At the moment there are five teams unbeaten in the league: us, Citeh, Leicester and, er, Gillingham and Portsmouth #twats

What exalted company to keep

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Okay, we equalled our current opening 7 league games in the old Third Division (South) 1957/58 season.

We then lost our next 4, but went onto win the league that season.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/1957-1958

As [MENTION=9822]KZNSeagull[/MENTION] previously posted, that was bettered in 1953/54 again Div 3 South with P8 W7 D1 L0....(we then went LDDLD)

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Okay, we equalled our current opening 7 league games in the old Third Division (South) 1957/58 season.

We then lost our next 4, but went onto win the league that season.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/1957-1958

Avoid defeat on Saturday, and I'm going to stick my neck out and say this might be the best start to a league season in our history....shhhhhhhhh.....

If we avoid defeat at Wolves I may start believing we are top 2 contenders . Also if we get something there then would heavily fancy us at Bolton .

Incredible at the moment .

Cheers for all the stats . Interesting reading .

el punal

1977/78 season. We started with 6 wins and 2 draws after 8 games, were top of the table (the old Division 2) and had 14 points in old money - that would be 20 points today, with 3 points for a win. We lost to Charlton (away) 3-4 in a cracking game which was our 9th league game.

So if we win at Wolves on Saturday then it will be our best start to any season (I think!!).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here