Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sammy Lee - joining Southampton FC (NOT assistant manager at the Albion)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't blame him. S'ton are in the PL and would probably pay a lot more.

S'ton / Koeman were very mercenary there. Looks like they only showed interest at the 11th hour. Seems typical of the PL in general:
Last year Willian was joining Liverpool, but was then poached by Spurs and having a medical, but was poached by Chelsea.
Odenwinge driving down to Loftus Road in the last hours of a transfer window without permission by WBA nor had QPR asked him to come down, as Odenwinge wanted to force a move.
And many other examples.

Ethics out of the window & dog-eat-dog in the PL.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Good riddance to be honest-who the feck is responsible for the last 24hrs? What with all the bollocks about the kit reveal. All a bit tinpot innit?:moo: just been on Talksport news so must be true

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not that it matters did know what club just didn't want to post it as I didn't know that papers would have the story and sometimes they pick up bits from forums . I certainly didn't get it from a paper as I had no idea it was in one and I waited to be registered to post so I'm pretty sure I couldn't have got it from a paper at that time , although irrelevant as I didn't .

I personally feel disappointed for Sami because it certainly it seems he's been let down by Lee but I do think the club have jumped the gun as well.

I just wanted to put a bit of info online & thought it'd be on interest . I'm hopeful I might have a few more bits over the next few weeks

Apologies. I took the opportunity to have a pop at a paper I detest.
You sound intriguingly placed. I will be watching for your posts with interest. :thumbsup:

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Circumstances not ideal - but not at all bothered about the fact that he won't be our assistant manager. Have never particularly rated him as a person or coach...

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Not sad, Never keen on the man even when he played the game, so no great loss, but a bit embarrassing for all concerned.

Last edited:

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Not if Nathan Jones is promoted to No.2! Although I find it highly unlikely that would happen as Hyypia would have had that option from the get go.

why would barber say publicly that we could have forced him to work his notice, if he wasn't officially signed up?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
This is a test now for the Hyypster. Someone he respects and trusts, for a second time in fairly quick succession, has turned his back on him. The worst thing he could do is make a panic decision and either bring in just another ex-Liverpooler that he knows or upgrade Nathan Jones. Let's find a highly-qualified coach who has some new ideas and fancies a challenge, even if it comes in the form of a coach already employed with a rival. Lee, the stocky little grunt, seems to want to see himself into retirement with a relatively easy ticket. Ok, fair enough and his decision is his decision and there's little point in holding a lasting grudge against the sly dwarf, but it has created an uncertainty or 9 that have stayed with us throughout this pre-season. Hyypia is in charge and he has to make himself so to everyone tomorrow, telling the few players we have to make a spine of a team exactly of our style, and getting those behind the scenes to ruddy well bring some players in to give us all a bit of confidence in what's to come.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think Hypia has been let down pretty badly but I'm also pretty confident there was no contract again I suppose that'll come out over the next few days .

To harp on about the contract The article on the BBC site says agreed not signed .

Many people, including, it seems, you, misunderstand the term "contract". Under English Law, you do not need a piece of paper headed "Contract" in order for an enforceable contract to exist. What you need is an offer, an acceptance and consideration, which can be verbal.

So far, all we have with any authority on the subject of what does and does not exist are the club's statements on the matter.

There have been two statements. The first says that Sammy "accepted" the club's "offer". This clearly indicates that the club considered that a contract existed (circumstantially, why would the club issue a statement at all if they didn't believe one existed). The second statement said that the club could have made Sammy work his notice. How would that have been possible had no contract existed?

No. A contract existed, imo. Sammy chose to renege on it. That makes him a twonk, imo.

By the way, I think you're either Sammy (unlikely) or one of his mates seeking to minimise the damage to his reputation that his dishonourable actions over the last couple of days have done, and I claim my £5.

If I'm wrong, I shall no doubt actually see all the revelations about all things BHA from you in the future that you promised us in an earlier post. If I'm right, I suspect you'll just fade back wherever you came from. We'll see, I guess. Well, one thing you could do now is to answer my earlier question about where your information on the Sammy issue came from: BHA (unlikely), Saints or because you're connected to Sammy. But, like you ignored the question previously, you won't, because the answer is the last one, isn't it?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Nail, head,......... money grabbing dwarf.

Would you not do the same?

If I were offered a job, and then a (what any neutral would see as) better offer came along for more money, I'd certainly take it.

Just a shame it's us on the receiving end.

HarryFlashman

Jun 28, 2014
Many people, including, it seems, you, misunderstand the term "contract". Under English Law, you do not need a piece of paper headed "Contract" in order for an enforceable contract to exist. What you need is an offer, an acceptance and consideration, which can be verbal.

So far, all we have with any authority on the subject of what does and does not exist are the club's statements on the matter.

There have been two statements. The first says that Sammy "accepted" the club's "offer". This clearly indicates that the club considered that a contract existed (circumstantially, why would the club issue a statement issue a statement at all if they didn't believe one existed). The second statement said that the club could have made Sammy work his notice. How would that have been possible had no contract existed?

No. A contract existed, imo. Sammy chose to renege on it. That makes him a twonk, imo.

By the way, I think you're either Sammy (unlikely) or one of his mates seeking to minimise the damage to his reputation that his dishonourable actions over the last couple of days have done, and I claim my £5.

If I'm wrong, I shall no doubt actually see all the revelations about all things BHA from you in the future that you promised us in an earlier post. If I'm right, I suspect you'll just fade back wherever you came from. We'll see, I guess. Well, one thing you could do now is to answer my earlier question about where your information on the Sammy issue came from: BHA (unlikely), Saints or because you're connected to Sammy. But, like you ignored the question previously, you won't, because the answer is the last one, isn't it?

So I've posted sammy has let down Sami because I'm him , really because that seems a bit odd.

Not sure why I bothered to be honest .

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Would you not do the same?

If I were offered a job, and then a (what any neutral would see as) better offer came along for more money, I'd certainly take it.

Just a shame it's us on the receiving end.

If I had not accepted the first job offer I would certainly feel able to accept a later offer from someone else, and indeed have done so twice in my career. If I had accepted the first offer, I would not accept a second offer.

In fact, once I had accepted the first offer, I would withdraw from negotiations with any other party.

It is a very similar situation, morally, to gazumping, which most people despise. Legally, it isn't similar, because in gazumping no contract exists (in England and Wales), unlike this situation where the club have indicated in the strongest possible terms that a contract did exist.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If I had not accepted the first job offer I would certainly feel able to accept a later offer from someone else, and indeed have done so twice in my career. If I had accepted the first offer, I would not accept a second offer.

In fact, once I had accepted the first offer, I would withdraw from negotiations with any other party.

It is a very similar situation, morally, to gazumping, which most people despise. Legally, it isn't similar, because in gazumping no contract exists (in England and Wales), unlike this situation where the club have indicated in the strongest possible terms that a contract did exist.

I get where you're coming from, and yes, even If no contract was signed it seemingly still existed given the verbal agreement which evidently existed (especially given somewhere states Sammy accepted the press release). However if Southampton came in with an offer even after this agreement, and Sammy said to Tony/Sami or whoever that he wanted to accept it and terminate any agreement with us, it seems like somewhere there has been a reluctant acceptance that he no longer (after 3 days) wanted to be here.

I don't really blame him, he's probably on a lot more money, and I doubt he'll be in work too much longer given his age. (edit - just seen he's only 55, bloody hell, I thought he was in his late 60's).

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
In the teaching profession, if you accept a job at a school to start the following September, and then renege on that (unless under certain circumstances obviously) you can be "blacklisted" by the local authority.

Not sure how much it really happens but fair play because it is dishonourable and lets down your future employer who has made their plans accordingly.

My point is that, contrary to what some have said, it's not something that we all can/would do in the real world.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So I've posted sammy has let down Sami because I'm him , really because that seems a bit odd.

Not sure why I bothered to be honest .

Haha. As I said, it's unlikely that you're Sammy. It's likely however that you are connected to him. Are you? If not, in broad terms, what is your source? That's the third time of asking, btw.

It was good to get a (very slight in terms of time) heads-up of what proved to be accurate information.

If I'm honest, I believe that your sole motivation in giving us some slight time advantage on the information was to give you some credibility when you tried to persuade us that Sammy hasn't been a twonk and no contract existed between him and the club. Who would be motivated to do that? Saints? Hardly. BHA? Why would they bother? Someone connected to Sammy? Now, there's someone with motivation to limit the damage to his friend/client. Client... now that's an interesting word, isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here