Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hi all

I've just run 13.1 miles in 2:13:33, and now fancy doing an official 1/2 marathon. I see it's the Hastings event in a week and a half, but having passed through the place quite a few times, I know it is very hilly, and my 18st bulk prefers flat courses. Just wondered if anyone has run the event and could tell me just how hilly it is?

Muchas gracias

I absolutely LOVE the Hastings half, but then I do like a hill or three. It's tough, I won't lie to you, and the big hill that starts about 2/3 miles in seems to go on, and on, and on. After that one there are a few other smaller hills and then flattens out and the obvious downhill until you get to the seafront. Both times I've done it I've been shot to pieces by this point, but there is something about it. The first time I did it, I watched two runners dressed as Sumo wrestlers stop and have a 'fight', and another time I watched a load of soldiers with backpacks charge up the hill while I trundled along.

Great medal at the end; and great cup of tea (I'd recommend it with two or three sugars). It would be a challenge, but also a hell of an achievement. Haven't run it for a while now*– I really should get back there one year.

Go for it, and good luck.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I absolutely LOVE the Hastings half, but then I do like a hill or three. It's tough, I won't lie to you, and the big hill that starts about 2/3 miles in seems to go on, and on, and on. After that one there are a few other smaller hills and then flattens out and the obvious downhill until you get to the seafront. Both times I've done it I've been shot to pieces by this point, but there is something about it. The first time I did it, I watched two runners dressed as Sumo wrestlers stop and have a 'fight', and another time I watched a load of soldiers with backpacks charge up the hill while I trundled along.

Great medal at the end; and great cup of tea (I'd recommend it with two or three sugars). It would be a challenge, but also a hell of an achievement. Haven't run it for a while now*– I really should get back there one year.

Go for it, and good luck.

Cheers for taking the time to reply. I'll give it lots of thought :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I need a stretch, please. Tight bum muscles. I just googled it and found a myriad of images that show there is more to life than running!

I pushed the strength and tempo runs this week and it has built up through the week. I need to stretch it out before tomorrows longest long run of 20m. Advice please.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I need a stretch, please. Tight bum muscles. I just googled it and found a myriad of images that show there is more to life than running!

I pushed the strength and tempo runs this week and it has built up through the week. I need to stretch it out before tomorrows longest long run of 20m. Advice please.

Have you got a foam roller? You can do a glute release roll, which might help. Good luck for tomorrow, I'm doing my final long run Tuesday if my IT band holds up.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Have you got a foam roller? You can do a glute release roll, which might help. Good luck for tomorrow, I'm doing my final long run Tuesday if my IT band holds up.

It's gone! thanks. No foam roller but a youtube search for foam roller exercises came up with one replacing foam roller for a baseball. I replaced the baseball with a rolling pin and sat rolling on it watching the rugby. Now fully released.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just going off on a bit of a Triathlon thread: I did my first outside bike ride this morning since September. I'd forgotten how much colder you get when cycling at 19-20 mph that you do running at 9-10 mph!!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Last long run this morning 20.2 miles in 3 hours and 9 seconds.

Tough conditions the wind was pretty fierce throughout and one sizeable hill.

IT Band gave me a bit of grief from mile 7 to 12 but nowhere near as bad as previously so hopefully with a good taper it will be at 100% by Sunday 6th April.

I've managed to fit in 4 long runs two 18 miles and two 20 miles so more than happy with that. Breaking 4 hours is the goal and all being well in terms of fitness and if conditions aren't too bad I feel thats more than achievable.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Last long run this morning 20.2 miles in 3 hours and 9 seconds.

Tough conditions the wind was pretty fierce throughout and one sizeable hill.

IT Band gave me a bit of grief from mile 7 to 12 but nowhere near as bad as previously so hopefully with a good taper it will be at 100% by Sunday 6th April.

I've managed to fit in 4 long runs two 18 miles and two 20 miles so more than happy with that. Breaking 4 hours is the goal and all being well in terms of fitness and if conditions aren't too bad I feel thats more than achievable.

As long as you're not injured on the day you are definitely in with breaking 4 hours. I did my 20 (and a half) miler yesterday in 3 hour and 2 mins. Felt ok, so like you am hopeful of a sub 4.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As long as you're not injured on the day you are definitely in with breaking 4 hours. I did my 20 (and a half) miler yesterday in 3 hour and 2 mins. Felt ok, so like you am hopeful of a sub 4.

I feel considerably better after todays long run than my previous efforts. I've been a shaking wreck after getting back home, but felt pretty good on my return today.

If conditions had been a little more favourable I might of pushed onto 21/22 but running into a 20 mile south westerly on the seafront isn't ideal.

I think a huge part of it is psychological, my route today started by running up and down Hove lawns 7 times on the grass to protect the knee. The distance isn't huge by any stretch but when I returned to get through the miles at the end, the same piece of land looked like it had quadrupled in size and seemed as far away as Peacehaven!

Good luck with your marathon, based on your 20.5 mile run you sound in good shape to crack the 4 hour barrier. What pace are you looking to run through the race? I think I'm going to look at 8:40 minute miles roughly so I have a bit of a cushion for the last few.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I feel considerably better after todays long run than my previous efforts. I've been a shaking wreck after getting back home, but felt pretty good on my return today.

If conditions had been a little more favourable I might of pushed onto 21/22 but running into a 20 mile south westerly on the seafront isn't ideal.

I think a huge part of it is psychological, my route today started by running up and down Hove lawns 7 times on the grass to protect the knee. The distance isn't huge by any stretch but when I returned to get through the miles at the end, the same piece of land looked like it had quadrupled in size and seemed as far away as Peacehaven!

Good luck with your marathon, based on your 20.5 mile run you sound in good shape to crack the 4 hour barrier. What pace are you looking to run through the race? I think I'm going to look at 8:40 minute miles roughly so I have a bit of a cushion for the last few.

I've actually done the Brighton twice before, first time was not prepared for just how tough it was gonna be mixed with not nearly enough training I hobbled in at 4:45 ish

Two years ago I made I made a lot more effort in training, did first half in 1:54 and just about finished in at 3:58, and that included my knee causing massive issues around mile 24. I think I am at a similar fitness level now so hoping for something around there.

My best advice, be mentally prepared for how tough that last hour is going to be. You know you can run 20 in around 3 so stick to that, then it's just a matter of mind over body for an hour. I plan to set off at 9 min miles and try and stay as consistent as possible (would love a negative split) and squeeze in just before 4.

Best of luck to you too!

My Brighton Marathon training STARTED today!

I know it's only 19 days away - however, I did a gentle 4.5 miles. Should be a good start.

PS Did marathon 73 on Sunday - Barcelona in a disappointing 3:52 (third marathon this year), so here's looking forward to my 5th Brighton marathon.
I wonder how many other nutters there are, who have run all the Brighton marathons?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good running everyone. My Sunday 20 miles took me up the coastal hills to Peacehaven and back to Hove Lagoon. Nice and hot with steady westerly on turning and preceded by Friday all day pub session and bottle of wine for the rugby on Saturday. Needless to say lost 7lbs in weight, drank 6 pints in hour on finishing (water!) and I am now ready for the wall. Got 2 hours 58 mins exceeding marathon pace for last 3 miles.

I am confident, weather permitting, that I will do 3:43:00 on the day give or take 3 mins either way. I will follow the 3:45:00 marker for at least 10 miles and then move away 5-10 secs a mile. I WILL drink 4 pints fluid minimum.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Did 19:59 at the reverse Hove parkrun on Saturday, actually liked the course but it was so different to run it that way round. Then did 21 miles on Sunday morning, a nice route out to Ovingdean, then out to the Shoreham Power Station, and back along the seafront to the Pier and Marina...felt really good to get that distance under my belt...another 21 set for this Sunday and then time to wind it down...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep, another one that's got to get a 20-miler bagged this weekend. Last weekend, I rode the big leg of my triathlon on the 6th, before running to pick up the car from Preston Park. As the run was only nine miles, I need that long run, probably with an hour on the bike beforehand. The good news is that I've managed to get the hang of gobbling gels and taking on food - I'm sure it's making some difference, even though it might not obviously feel like it...

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I wonder how many other nutters there are, who have run all the Brighton marathons?

This will be my 5th too, and I'm really looking forward to it....however...

Went out to run another 21 miles today and had to stop after 10...pains in my left knee and knew it would only get worse if I continued on...did 21 in 3 hours last week so know I can get up to the distance, just wasn't my day today.

I've got the option of doing another long run on Wednesday, or next Sunday...any advice on this? Obviously I want to taper down but feel a bit low after having to give up early today. Should I go for it again on Wednesday then taper down, or just start to take it easy now anyway?

2 weeks to go!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here