Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Completed 20 miles today using a new route Hove to Worthing. Tough going and I think I'm going to need to see a sports physiotherapist as the outside of my left knee has become painful around mile 12 on my last two long runs. I can feel my running technique faltering in the second half as I'm carrying a useless limb and over compensating.

Took me 2 hours and 56 minutes so definitely on track for sub 4 hours as long as my body holds up.

Here are the run details http://connect.garmin.com/splits/455043618

Yep get to the physio as sounds like IT Band trouble, if, like me, you are right side dominant. A few regular exercises given to you by the physio should sort you out. Mine was a couple of years back and never had a problem since.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yep get to the physio as sounds like IT Band trouble, if, like me, you are right side dominant. A few regular exercises given to you by the physio should sort you out. Mine was a couple of years back and never had a problem since.

Sounds like ITB to me as well. I do the seated pigeon stretch now, after seeing my sports injury man with it a few years back, and have not had it return. I will pm my man to Nuts in case he is needed.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Completed 20 miles today using a new route Hove to Worthing. Tough going and I think I'm going to need to see a sports physiotherapist as the outside of my left knee has become painful around mile 12 on my last two long runs. I can feel my running technique faltering in the second half as I'm carrying a useless limb and over compensating.

Took me 2 hours and 56 minutes so definitely on track for sub 4 hours as long as my body holds up.

Here are the run details http://connect.garmin.com/splits/455043618

PMd you. I am running 9" mile long runs Sunday and 8" 10 secs on tempo runs at 11 miles every Thursday. So slower than your training but I am aiming for sub 3: 45 for Brighton marathon and feel that is definitely on. Should be on for you no problem. Weather permitting of course.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks to Knocky & Chimney's for their advice.

I've been researching causes, symptoms and treatments online so I'm going to need a foam roller, Ibruprofen and a few exercises to alleviate the symptoms. Knocky has also given me the number of a physio so I'll look to use him for a session to see if that works.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks to Knocky & Chimney's for their advice.

I've been researching causes, symptoms and treatments online so I'm going to need a foam roller, Ibruprofen and a few exercises to alleviate the symptoms. Knocky has also given me the number of a physio so I'll look to use him for a session to see if that works.

I would see the physio before buying (the ridiculously expensive for what they are and not that easy to use) foam roller BN. Like Knocky, physio gave me a couple of simple exercises which sorted me out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
http://www.yogaglo.com/online-class-1043-Desk-Yoga-Seated-Pigeon-in-Your-Chair.html

Although this is for office workers it's the stretch I do. The pain from the stretch is in the outside of the hip which is where the ITB runs up to. I agree with chimeys that you have to be careful as you could do more damage by overstretchig or stretching incorrectly. Or the tendon may be inflamed. Try this very slowly and remain relaxed. When I first started I could hardly move my head down more than a few inches but can 3 years on can almost get my chin on my ankle. As you bring the head down you move the stomach forwards and away from the pelvis.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
http://www.yogaglo.com/online-class-1043-Desk-Yoga-Seated-Pigeon-in-Your-Chair.html

Although this is for office workers it's the stretch I do. The pain from the stretch is in the outside of the hip which is where the ITB runs up to. I agree with chimeys that you have to be careful as you could do more damage by overstretchig or stretching incorrectly. Or the tendon may be inflamed. Try this very slowly and remain relaxed. When I first started I could hardly move my head down more than a few inches but can 3 years on can almost get my chin on my ankle. As you bring the head down you move the stomach forwards and away from the pelvis.

Seems fairly straight forward I'll try that tomorrow, would you do this every day?

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Out of interest; what sort of time were you starting from and how long did it take to get down to sub-19?

I started doing some park runs towards the end of last year, my first was around 20:45, then next 20:25 and then my third was 19:40 which is my current PB. I've done a few more since then but have kind of stalled with times coming in just under 20 minutes. I'd like to give myself something to target so sub-19 seems like the logical option, but I was just wondering how feasible it was. That said I'm really not doing much running specific training, I'm more focused on swimming and cycling atm.

I ran 18.56 in my first 5k but have been running for a few years but never got round to racing that distance. You need to up your weekly milage and do one speed session a week, fast 1k reps at 10% quicker than your race pace would be my advice

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Starting to panic, after my 17 miler on Sunday I felt ok, but from Monday I've had this dull pain in my achilles. Rested until yesterday when I tried a quickish 3 miles and felt fine once I was going, but the pain is back and worse today. Bit of googling and I found this,
http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/achilles-tendinitis
These were meant to be my big 2 weeks of training as well. Anyone else suffered, apart from stretching and ice and way recovery could be sped up at all?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another injury I have had. A stretch is the calf stretch, I think. the standing on one foot angled on a step, stomach in, shoulders back and slowly putting weight on foot and feeling the stretch in the top of calf. If no luck you have to go to sports injury man or rest till it goes. Good luck it can last for weeks if not sorted.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Managed 17 and half miles yesterday in just under 2 and half hours. Reducing distance slightly next week before hitting the big 20 before taper. Still hoping for a sub 4 hour!

One thing I have noticed this year is that when I am really pushing it I'm starting to feel a bit nauseous, in the half this year I upped my pace slightly to finish in 1:46 but was very nearly sick in last mile. Never had the problem before, but worried it's going to get in the way as I tire in the full.

A running coach I know has a view that if you're not sick/nearly dead when you cross the line, then you can probably go a bit faster. :eek:

Sounds like you're just pushing yourself to the limits. Which will happen I guess, if you're aiming to get the fastest time you possibly can.

I sometimes feel sick when doing tabita or HIT.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
So, having trained in the cold, wind and rain (and hail last Monday), the weather decided to be rather warmer yesterday for the inaugural Surrey Half Marathon - hot enough for me to catch the sun in fact.

I went off a bit quick, which I realised when I caught up with the 1 hour 30 pace runner at the first mile mark, and quickly backed off! But I think that and the heat rather got to me, and my legs felt like lead for the second half of the race. That said I did manage to find some energy to up my pace over the last mile, and sprinted the last 200 metres or so for a chip time of 01:42:14.0 (only 40 minutes behind the winner).

I'm pretty pleased with that, and now I can rest for a few days and start concentrating on improving my 5k time.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Something a friend told me once when out running. 'You've always got that extra reserve in the tank to push yourself, even when your nearly at your breaking point. Imagine if a if a wolf started chasing you, would you stop?' I don't know if that will help anyone but I always think its nice to think of a wolf chasing me down when I'm about to give up. :) keep up the great stuff all

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Something a friend told me once when out running. 'You've always got that extra reserve in the tank to push yourself, even when your nearly at your breaking point. Imagine if a if a wolf started chasing you, would you stop?' I don't know if that will help anyone but I always think its nice to think of a wolf chasing me down when I'm about to give up. :)

Love it. The line between feeling like death and regretting not giving it more 30 seconds after you finish. All in the mind, innit.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
So, having trained in the cold, wind and rain (and hail last Monday), the weather decided to be rather warmer yesterday for the inaugural Surrey Half Marathon - hot enough for me to catch the sun in fact.

I went off a bit quick, which I realised when I caught up with the 1 hour 30 pace runner at the first mile mark, and quickly backed off! But I think that and the heat rather got to me, and my legs felt like lead for the second half of the race. That said I did manage to find some energy to up my pace over the last mile, and sprinted the last 200 metres or so for a chip time of 01:42:14.0 (only 40 minutes behind the winner).

I'm pretty pleased with that, and now I can rest for a few days and start concentrating on improving my 5k time.

A good effort in that heat CO. I did a practice half on the Paddock Wood race route yesterday and the heat really had an effect. Typical isn't it that you practice for months, pick a race early/mid March and get 20 degrees, full sun and no breeze!

I'm sure you have a sub 1'40 in you with a bit more luck on the weather.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
A good effort in that heat CO. I did a practice half on the Paddock Wood race route yesterday and the heat really had an effect. Typical isn't it that you practice for months, pick a race early/mid March and get 20 degrees, full sun and no breeze!

I'm sure you have a sub 1'40 in you with a bit more luck on the weather.

Thanks, I've enjoyed the experience... I'll have to see whether I fancy going through it again, it'll mostly depend on how things go with the new baby and how we cope as a family with having two children rather than one. At the age of 38, I'm a bit dubious as to how much I can improve if I'm not able to run another half in the short term.

The one thing I have learnt though is that I definitely have no intention of ever running a full marathon!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks, I've enjoyed the experience... I'll have to see whether I fancy going through it again, it'll mostly depend on how things go with the new baby and how we cope as a family with having two children rather than one. At the age of 38, I'm a bit dubious as to how much I can improve if I'm not able to run another half in the short term.

The one thing I have learnt though is that I definitely have no intention of ever running a full marathon!

Well I'm 46, have 2 children (both at primary school) and am targeting a 1'35 half in 3 weeks' time. I only started running when I was 40 having done literally nothing for 20 years. And even now I only normally run 3 times a week.

I said the same about the marathon but managed a 3'27 at Brighton in 2012 ! Have, though, hung up my marathon boots forever as the training for that is a selfish pursuit the wife/kids/my body had enough of!

Fully understand that you will have your hands full for a few years but having kids doesn't mean everything need go out the window forever. When the kids are a bit older you should find you will have time for and still be of an age where PBs are still well within your grasp!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami is a great book for runners.

At 54 it is nigh impossible to break my 5k 4 years ago of 19:25 but when I did that I counted it as a pb and ignored my 17:45 5k when I was 35. So it is all about setting new targets. It has only been the last couple of years I have felt that the top gear doesn't work as well as it did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here