Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Response from Mr Barber re Palace stewarding and Police intervention

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Were any flares thrown at other fans? I didn't see any so was happy that all they were going to hurt was themselves.
What I was concerned about was damaged to our seats.
Ultimately the majority of the CP fans have to self-police it or put almighty pressure on the club (the safer option!) to ban them.
So we will both have outlawed groups - Palace Ultras and the Brighton Harvesters (hope they never meet).

Outside the ground when shutters came up a banger thing / firework was thrown and went off near BHA but more near police & horses id say. All this after they’d just done it in the ground and behaved disgustingly - no brains at all.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sorry, but this happens on non match days too, pretty much every working day. Most regular users use both lanes if they are going straight on, including buses and filter in which isn't normally problematic unless someone just cannot accept letting someone else in. The stewards manage the flow of traffic pretty well with their mini light saber battens, but it would gridlock pretty quickly if people didn't use the left lane to queue to that roundabout.

Think Publius Ovidius meant on the A27 slip road for Falmer, not the Uni exit. Usually a long queue to turn right but drivers often go up left lane then jump into right lane near the top by the roundabout.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Barber is clearing trying not to 'play up' the incident in fear of FA sanctions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FA come down heavily on both Clubs eg. big fines, possibility of the return fixture played behind closed doors.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
As long as there were plenty of people screaming for a Policeman then all is good.
Sadly I didn't see anybody "screaming for a policeman".

I also didn't see anyone over the age of 10 feeling remotely physically threatened by the Palace twats. I did see, and experience myself, a degree of frustration at what the Always gang and a few other mouthy Palace were allowed to get away with. On the latter note well played to the older bloke who calmly removed his spectacles before engaging a gobby Palace fan under Queensberry Rules in the train queue...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Think Publius Ovidius meant on the A27 slip road for Falmer, not the Uni exit. Usually a long queue to turn right but drivers often go up left lane then jump into right lane near the top by the roundabout.

It's wrong of course, but that also goes on pretty much everywhere at busy road junctions up and down the country. It certainly isn't just confined to the Amex on a match day, and very little can be done to stop it alas.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's wrong of course, but that also goes on pretty much everywhere at busy road junctions up and down the country. It certainly isn't just confined to the Amex on a match day, and very little can be done to stop it alas.

Sadly you're right.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
big fines, possibility of the return fixture played behind closed doors.

Lets not blow this out of proportions.... No-one got injured, or even a punch thrown. In fact Millwall behaved worse last time we played them - climbing over the netting, tipping over the barriers and queue jumping at the station etc.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sadly I didn't see anybody "screaming for a policeman".

I also didn't see anyone over the age of 10 feeling remotely physically threatened by the Palace twats. I did see, and experience myself, a degree of frustration at what the Always gang and a few other mouthy Palace were allowed to get away with. On the latter note well played to the older bloke who calmly removed his spectacles before engaging a gobby Palace fan under Queensberry Rules in the train queue...

Well l think the 'older bloke' you mention was an absolte idiot to get involved in fisticuffs with that moron. But generally I agree, I'm amazed that anyone, young, old, or disabled, was scared when they heard those fire cackers going off. I'm disappointed that it was allowed to happen, but after all this was a match against our bitterest rivals, so they must of been aware that something was likely to occur.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Lets not blow this out of proportions.... No-one got injured, or even a punch thrown. In fact Millwall behaved worse last time we played them - climbing over the netting, tipping over the barriers and queue jumping at the station etc.

Stewards got taken to hospital, some Palace fans got injured. Of course the game shouldn't be behind closed doors but there were people without tickets in the ground causing trouble. If the Old Bill was graded on their performances in the same way as refs then PC Balkham and his Palace counterpart would be policing Lewes and Dulwich Hamlet matches for the foreseeable future.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I'm guessing the two stewards that are in hospital were injured ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Any answers as to why they couldn't protect a fire exit?

Photos elsewhere that a flare was thrown to distract the stewards, whilst some jumped over the turnstiles, others opened a fire exit.
Using a smoke screen is an army tactic, and also prevents identification.
Obviously a couple of stewards did try to stop the invasion which is why a couple of them had to go to hospital.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Statement from police about searches, problems at Brighton station and the six arrested (four of whom are from Sussex)

We are aware that a significant number of people attempted to enter the ground with pyrotechnics, knives and knuckledusters, which were found following efforts to gain access through fire exit doors in the south stand.

https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/s...r&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Lot of bedwetting and screaming for a policeman imagine if we ever played Red Star or a top German/Italian side some of you would pass out.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Sorry, but this happens on non match days too, pretty much every working day. Most regular users use both lanes if they are going straight on, including buses and filter in which isn't normally problematic unless someone just cannot accept letting someone else in. The stewards manage the flow of traffic pretty well with their mini light saber battens, but it would gridlock pretty quickly if people didn't use the left lane to queue to that roundabout.

That is a load of buncome. There is no problem with the right lane, the traffic is continuously moving, but it is hampered by the selfish left hand lane users, who are solely queue jumpers. Anyone going straight on is correct in taking that lane, it is those that are making for the Stadium that are the culprits.

D

Deleted member 2719

Rook scarers or not they are explosives and a full investigation should be held and the fans should get to know all the real facts.

Surely the clubs state of the art CCTV will have picked this up, life bans for those twats and whoever hurt our stewards.

I would have thought Barber would get his priorities right and should be releasing the details on how the stewards are, if it was the police it would probably be very different.

Does anyone know how they are?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here